Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

So. What's your favourite (core) Metal Gear now?

• 60 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll So. What's your favourite (core) Metal Gear now? (430 votes)

Metal Gear 1 3%
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake 0%
    Metal Gear Solid 10%
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 13%
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 24%
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 7%
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker 0%
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 27%
    Other / See Results 15%

The crowd of people who have finished V is growing - having asked myself this question after the credits rolled, I pose it to the rest of y'all.

• 
    civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MGS4 was the first I played and still the best one out of all of them. I think it's the prettiest one as well. TTP almost feels like a dare more than an actual game, like "we out Snake in an open world game and it works, ain't it crazy!?!" I think the overarching story is great and I actually like the boss battles, but man the charming, memorable characters from previous titles are completely gone. It's like Kojima thought that a more serious narrative was equal to no characterization of your cast at all. Ocelot is such a fucking dissapointment and some goes for Big Boss. It's also real messy in spots like the online part which only JIm Sterling and Brad Shoemaker seems to have mentioned in their review.

As for the others? MGS2 is out there and plays the best of the first 3, but the story caves in on it self. MGS3 is ambitious but plays like dog shit and other than the core Boss/Snake relationship, the story is pretty lackluster. MGS is probably the best story-wise, has memorable sequences, but still controls like a PS1 game. Peace Walker is a waste of time, it has interesting ideas, but they're all executed poorly. Also wauw, how does no one talk about how offensive Strangelove is?

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By somethingodd

I haven't been able to play Phantom Pain yet and I haven't played all of the games more than once, but this is how I would put it at the moment.

MGS1

MGS3

MG2

MGS4

MGS2

MG1

MGS PW

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a difficult choice, honestly. I subscribe to the Dan Ryckert school of thinking in that they all have their merits. In the end though, I voted MGS 2. It had the most profound effect on me as a kid for sure, and I've played it A LOT. I got the platinum in it before Phantom Pain released, in fact!

If I had to rate them, it'd probably go something like this:

1. MGS 2
    2. MGS V
    3. MGS 1
    4. MGS 3
    5. MGS 4
    6. MGS PW

I haven't played Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 all the way through but I'd probably stick them at the bottom. Having come to the series with Metal gear Solid and then playing through them as they released, going to MG and MG 2 was damn difficult.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Snaker Eater is the best by far.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh V easily.

Even if I thought the story could have been better I still like it and none of the other games even come close on gameplay.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid.

All day long.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Snake Eater
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Peace Walker
    • The Phantom Pain
    • Sons Of Liberty
    • Guns of the Patriots

They're all equally as good, really, but Snake Eater is still a perfect game.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished episode 32 of V and I have no intention of playing any more. I still prefer 1-4 over V.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. MGS 2

2. MGS4

3. MGS1

4. MGS V

5. MGS3

MGSV is so unfinished it leaves a sour taste in my mouth about this being the game to end of the series. Kojima should've honestly stopped at 4. He wrapped up everything so perfectly, and gave the most satisfying conclusion possible. MGSV covers a pointless arc, that ends multiple plot points abruptly. If the game covered the original MG1/2, and was complete by launch it could've been the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Metal Gear Solid 1
    2) Phantom Pain
    3) Snake Eater

Everything else is kind of terrible to me. Though I enjoy the lore.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#61  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I've "only" gotten the first ending having played roughly 65 hours of the game, but feel confident in saying it's my number two.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    3. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    6. Metal Gear Solid
    7. Metal Gear
    8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

(The middle stuff dances around a lot for me but 3 is consistently at the top, and 4 at the bottom)

I think Phantom Pain is definitely the best playing Metal Gear game, but Snake Eater to me is just the complete package of gameplay, story and atmosphere. Every game on this list nails at least one of those three things except for the bottom two, but MGS3 is the only one that nails all three of them for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.