Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

New co-op title announced at Gamescom - Metal Gear Survive

• 86 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

IGN have the scoop on it, but just today Konami announced a new 4 player co-op based game based after the event's of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

It doesn't sound amazing to me. It sounds like what you'd get when you find all these assets you have and need a way to use them to make something that can have microtransactions out the ass. There are a hundred thousand free to play co-op third person action games on steam which are all I can think about when I read "Konami" "co-cop" "4-player" and "crystalline zombies".

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Teddie

Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game’s finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they’re forced to battle a force of crystalline zombies

I'm glad they put that in the article so I at least know I'll never need to care about this thing.

EDIT: oh and it has "survive" in the title and resource scavenging. So it's gonna be one of those, I guess.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vortextk

Isn't that the end of zeroes not V?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jesus_Phish
    imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Came in here hoping to discover co-op Pachinko and now I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit it's the real Chapter 3 you guys. I can't I fucking can't. I can't even bring myself to shitpost about this it's just so sad.

In case IGNs player is refusing to co-operate with anyone else.

Loading Video...

The FOX Engine sure continues to look pretty, even if the characters don't emote.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ezekiel

I could really go for an MGS that isn't another fucking prequel. But I know the only reason this exists is because they're using most of the assets from MGSV. I don't think Konami are capable of delivering a story campaign like the previous games, especially with all new assets. So they go with the generic zombie mode.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the bastardisation continue....

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm just surprised Konami is still making games at all.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Honestly though, it doesn't even seem like that bad of an idea. Seems like yet another harmless co-op zombie shooter thing. I mean, there's a billion and a half of those on Steam. Most people are only mad (and maybe rightfully so) because it's Konami. Whatever the case may be, like always, I hope it's a good game because that would be nice...also I feel like that would somehow make people even more angry which is fucking hilarious to me.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

I would assume they're gonna try and squeeze whatever they can out of that engine and all those assets lying around.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

I would assume they're gonna try and squeeze whatever they can out of that engine and all those assets lying around.

Yeah, but I thought they were going to do that with Pachinko machines and (I guess) other gambling stuff. To make a video game, even one that reuses assets, you have to get designers and developers and artists and managers working for at least six months to a year. I thought Konami was out of that business.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Game quality aside, something about this just feels wrong.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels like a Resident Evil spin off,

I am potentially interested. If it's Left4Dead in the Fox Engine then that could be fun to screw around with alongside other Metal Gear fans. But I'm not expecting it to be good.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

could be cool. mgs v played well.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I had some rope laying around somewhere.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The zombies are a metaphor for Konami's gaming division.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bill_mcneal

As someone who never had strong feelings toward the franchise (or Kojima for that matter), this sounded pretty cool! If this were an offshoot single player game I’d be all over it. The whole setting sounds pretty awesome and I’m even fine with the survival aspects. However the thing that kills it for me is the “co-op” part. This seems like it’s just a F2P (which probably won’t be free) multiplayer game with microtransations out the wazoo.

@gkhan said:
    @babychoochoo said:
    @gkhan said:

Yeah, but I thought they were going to do that with Pachinko machines and (I guess) other gambling stuff. To make a video game, even one that reuses assets, you have to get designers and developers and artists and managers working for at least six months to a year. I thought Konami was out of that business.

I think it's more likely they're out of the AAA game scene (PES excluded), where they had to invest a ton of money for a significant amount of time, and they might not see a meaningful return. This feels like they hired a small-ish team, gave them the assets to MGS5, and told them to whip something up. They have the engine, they have the assets, a team that will probably work cheaply, and no Kiefer Sutherland to pay.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I wan't prepared for this. I mean holy hell. That may be a worse post kojima metal gear announcement than I could have possibly imagined.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean you could just copy paste MGSV with no story and co-op and it would be nearly GoTY this year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks better than Federation Force at least. But seriously where the hell is Metal Gear Rising 2?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is how it finally ends, huh? What a fucking garbage fire...

Akimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it plays anything at all like V, and it handles Co-op well? I don't know, I think I might dig this you guys. Immediate reaction was negative, but I am coming around. Maybe.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akimoto said:

If it plays anything at all like V, and it handles Co-op well? I don't know, I think I might dig this you guys. Immediate reaction was negative, but I am coming around. Maybe.

Yea, if they fix their online networking stuff it could turn out to be a good game. People need to realize that Kojima didn't build MGSV from the ground up by himself. There are probably still a lot of talented developers from the MGSV team enslaved working at Konami.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jim seems happy.

Gotta say, this is about the most uninspired thing they could have done.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Konami cared about MGS, they wouldn't have fucked over Kojima and MGS V the way they did. They can keep this cash grab, they've lost all my respect #FuckKonami

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it's hilarious that of all the things to set up "zombie co-op game," they went with, "random giant wormhole appearing above Mother Base after the ending of Ground Zeroes."

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Oh, I have no idea. That might be the case. I haven't really seen much Konami news outside of the Kojima firing and that MGS3 pachinko trailer people started posting.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks cheap and dumb and... Bad, but I'd much rather they did something insignificant like this than try to make a "real" MGS game at this point.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game’s finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they’re forced to battle a force of crystalline zombies

I'm glad they put that in the article so I at least know I'll never need to care about this thing.

EDIT: oh and it has "survive" in the title and resource scavenging. So it's gonna be one of those, I guess.

I thought you or whoever you quoted from was joking... until I saw the trailer.

Of all things Konami could do in the MGS universe.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I dunno....maybe? Look, I wish it wasn't zombies and I'm a guy that by and large still likes most zombie stuff cause if made well those games can be some mindless fun and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Again, wish it wasn't zombies but the idea of using the mechanics of MGSV again is kind of okay by me. It mostly depends on how this is gonna go, is it going to be a complete linear affair (like L4D) or is it going to have more of the mission structure of Phantom Pain in an open environment complete with decking out your zombie defense force base, or will it be made in such a way that the micro transactions will be ridiculous and a key focus?

I played through MGSV at the beginning of this year and while some of the story stuff was pretty disappointing it was one of the best experiences I've had with a game just from it's mechanics alone. I spent a month doing EVERYTHING in that damn game and loved the hell out of it. Getting up to no good with a few friends with those mechanics sounds kind of alright to me. I'll be less enthused if it's super linear and doesn't facilitate any good open world nonsense you could make happen in Phantom Pain, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

I mean, maybe it's for the best they don't try to make any actual new story stuff in this series cause who the hell knows how that could go. Depending on what the nitty gritty mechanics of this thing is, waiting for a price drop and trying to press gang my friends into doing dumb open world phantom pain stuff could be okay. Or this could be absolute garbage, but I'm not going to write this thing off yet. This could be the one MGS game I could get my friend to play who hates the story stuff for MGS, but liked the look of Phantom Pain's mechanics.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

And of course the internet is outraged.

Who cares, Rising was awesome.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't mind me, I'm just going to be over here drowning my sorrows in vodka

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a long shot, but the thought of getting a video series featuring Dan and Drew playing together in this game gives me a small amount of hope. Doubt that'll ever happen though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigsocrates

@paulmako said:

I am potentially interested. If it's Left4Dead in the Fox Engine then that could be fun to screw around with alongside other Metal Gear fans. But I'm not expecting it to be good.

This is going to be Metal Gear Umbrella Corps.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah it doesn't sound amazing, sounds like fucking trash. What a joke. Wormholes and zombies. I can let something like this pass and who cares, it doesn't affect how I feel about the series but man is this the worst thing you could do with MGS.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Dixavd

Konami is so weird... Who announces big games at Gamescom?

Edit: Oh Kaz :)

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if we pretend that we're all ok with this being a Metal Gear game and we're ok with it since it's using the MGSV engine and that game had good controls, this still looks completely uninspired with the most bland and generic character design possible. If it wasn't for the Metal Gear brand and the quality of the graphics engine, it would feel an awful lot like one of those random F2P games on Steam.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

@paulmako said:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. It's like someone at Konami thought: "Man look at Capcom and their Umbrella Corps, wonder how we can tap into that market?". Part of me also wants them to team-up and cross-over now. Evil Gear? Solid Evil? Resident Metal?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

@paulmako said:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. It's like someone at Konami thought: "Man look at Capcom and their Umbrella Corps, wonder how we can tap into that market?". Part of me also wants them to team-up and cross-over now. Evil Gear? Solid Evil? Resident Metal?

First change: Crawling speed increased 100%.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@atwa said:

And of course the internet is outraged.

Who cares, Rising was awesome.

Rising was pretty good if not flawed in some serious ways. There is no indication this will be awesome in the same over-the-top way Rising was.

That said I'm not crying over here. I mean if it's fun to play then it's fun to play. The multiplayer in MGSV was pretty fun for a while so I don't see why this shouldn't be at least competent.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is a zombie in your game it's not like I will turn it off, but I think I am entirely done with any zombie focused game. It is so hacky and boring by this point. Zero interest.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no metal gears

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A certain Dan Ryckert periscoped his live reaction to the trailer, you can view it here.

I laughed a lot.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Kojima is watching this and is laughing his ass off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.