Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 22, 2005

An updated version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater containing several new features, most notably a third-person camera and an online mode.

Is 3 a good place to start the Metal Gear series?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dichemstys

I see that it is the earliest point in the timeline so would that be a good place to start it? I have 2 and 3.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ghostiet

The timeline doesn't really matter that much, though 3 gives you more impact if you know the story of previous games. I'd say if you go chronologically, you might be pissed of at the gameplay of older games.

Start with 1.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Not as much as you'd think. It's a game that has little relation to the two before it, at least on the surface, but opens you for a few winks and nods that you'll invariably miss without knowing the happenings of the original two. 

You should start with the ''story release'' order, beginning with Twin Snakes on the Gamecube most preferably, then switching to Substance on whichever.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dichemstys

Is Twin Snakes preferable over the original?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @birdflu777 said:
    " Is Twin Snakes preferable over the original? "
    It's much easier to play in this day and age, since it literally retains all of the gameplay mechanics from MGS2. The original can be a bit of a headache, as you'd expect for being not only an old stealth game, but a PS1 stealth game from 1998.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FlyingRat

Definetly not, man. Just go through in the order they came out. And since story is really why you play Metal Gear, i'd even recommened playing the first one somehow.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By RobDaFunk
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dichemstys
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I wouldn't recommend Twin Snakes, personally.  It is slightly more modern in the gameplay and graphics department, but they really butchered a lot of the dialogue - they went to the effort of brining back most of the original voices actors, but it really sounds like most of them are just phoning it in..  Some of the epic or dramatic lines are ruined.  It was also released in the wake of the Spider-man movies and in several of the cut-scenes they seem to have given Snake over the top acrobatic abilities, which look completely ridiculous.  There's one scene where he literally clings to the wall, directly mimicking one of the scenes from the first Spider-man movie.  Considering he has no acrobatic abilities in later games, it's very jarring.

Unless you really struggle with going back and playing a somewhat dated PSOne game, I'd definitely recommend the original over Twin Snakes

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sameeeeam
    @birdflu777 said:
    " Is Twin Snakes preferable over the original? "
    It's much easier to play.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

I don't know if your the sort of person who enjoys retro games, but MGS1 might be to far gone for you to enjoy, so I'd reccomend The Twin Snakes first, then MGS2, then MGS3, then MGS4. If you are an old school gamer for real then you should check out Metal Gear aswell
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" I wouldn't recommend Twin Snakes, personally.  It is slightly more modern in the gameplay and graphics department, but they really butchered a lot of the dialogue - they went to the effort of brining back most of the original voices actors, but it really sounds like most of them are just phoning it in..  Some of the epic or dramatic lines are ruined.  It was also released in the wake of the Spider-man movies and in several of the cut-scenes they seem to have given Snake over the top acrobatic abilities, which look completely ridiculous.  There's one scene where he literally clings to the wall, directly mimicking one of the scenes from the first Spider-man movie.  Considering he has no acrobatic abilities in later games, it's very jarring. Unless you really struggle with going back and playing a somewhat dated PSOne game, I'd definitely recommend the original over Twin Snakes "

Y'know, I completely agree with all this. I only recommended twin snakes over the original because of the gameplay improvements. Twin Snakes is an empty shell compared to the original, but at least it's actually playable. 

Not that I find PS1 games unplayable, but I just found MGS to age considerably quicker than most, with its strict stealth mechanics. So often do I remember going to strangle someone (also lol at the weird croaks the guards make when they're being strangled) for them to also somehow spot me EDIT: when I grabbed them, putting the game into high alert instantly.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dichemstys

I do love older games.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By luce

MGS 3 is my favorite in the series (and it's a prequel) so yes

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Kyreo
    @luce said:
    " MGS 3 is my favorite in the series (and it's a prequel) so yes "
    I support this post.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ch13696

I say start with the first one. This is all based on gameplay. Besides, when it comes to developers making a prequel as the 3rd entry into the series, that's when you know that the 1st or 2nd MGS game won't spoil anything significant for you.

Avatar image for favoritobandito
    FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FavoritoBandito
    I started with 3 and had no problems with it.   Just make sure you get the subsistence copy for maximum enjoyment.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By evanbrau

If I had the benefit of having this decision to make I'd play MGS 3 first then MGS and then stop because I just did not enjoy a moment of two and four.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By NTM

You should play the original MGS. It's still an amazing game and you'll feel terrific going through it. I think you should go with that rather than Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes may be the worst MGS game. I think anyone who says Twin Snakes is better probably didn't play the original first or just didn't play it at all.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Just start with the original MGS1.

I played it for the first time last year. I had not trouble with it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

No.  Start with 1 and work your way through the numbers.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'd say start with 1 and go through like that

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By zameer

There are a lot of winks and nods to previous games in the series that'll be lost on you if you start with 3. Just yeah, go with MGS and work your way up from there.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Trebz
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " Just start with the original MGS1.  I played it for the first time last year. I had not trouble with it. "
    Replace "last year" with "two years ago" and that's me. MGS3 is a prequel, yeah, but it's more of a question-answering prequel than a story-establishing prequel. I haven't played Twin Snakes but MGS1 is $10 on PSN and it's still perfectly playable (surprisingly, it's a pretty fun portable game if you have a PSP to install it on).
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Xanth93

MGS1 is still a ton of fun to play. I don't care how dated the gameplay is. Play them in order of release date (1, 2, 3, and 4). I'm not sure where any of the PSP games would fall, but I really enjoyed playing through all the MGS games in order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.