Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Stealth vs. Slash?

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By regmcfly

So it seems that stealth has completely gone out of the window for this new MGS game, and there are clear elements of DMC / Bayonetta in it. I'm still unsure as to whether this is a good thing.

If you go back to MGS 1, wasn't the highest achievement for killing the least amount of people? Does this dilute the core fun of MGS, or is it a welcome break? 

As I said, I'm unsure.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

If you play MGS4 without killing, you essentially don't use 90% of the weapons/mods and stuff, so i think the MGS series has already gone that way. 

I'm kinda unsure too, but i'm quite sure that stealth has been practically thrown out the door in this game. Notice it says Lightning Bolt Action instead of Tactical Espionage Action. 
    I guess it's nice they're doing something different, especially since Snake is no longer the playable character. We know how well it went last time they made a Metal Gear without Snake...
    regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By regmcfly

True, with MGS 4. However, it still feels more like you're playing it 'right' if you do it without killing. Although, certainly it did try to encourage you to do that a lot.

Lightning Bolt Action - I assume this is the metaphor for the 'strike / slice' that they're touting. 

Still... Metal Gear Solid 2 was awesome, yo.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Wasara88

I got the feeling from the trailer it's an action game with a possible stealth aspect to it. Not as much as in the original mgs games. I hope there will be stealth,but to be honest, i will buy it no matter what. Stealth or not there has to be story and looooong cutscenes in it.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dylabaloo

I have a feeling that it will be a mainly action focused game hence the ''Lighting Bolt Action'' but may have some stealth sequences and i wouldn't be surprised if Raidens suit had active camo like the one in MGS 2.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

This isn't a stealth action game.  It's an action game.  It's designed to be different.
    regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By regmcfly

Ahh, I forgot about the ol' Active Camo. 

I do like, as Wasara88 pointed out, that any real arguing over this is pointless. There will only be 5 fighting sequences in this 10 hour movie.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wasara88
    @Brendan:@Brendan said:
    " This isn't a stealth action game.  It's an action game.  It's designed to be different. "
    Yeah but it would be nice if it had some stealth because it would differentiate it from another action games and stealth is a big part of the metal gear franchise. I agree with you that it will be an action focused game,but i just hope it wont forget what makes metal gear what it is....(stealt action and story).
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

I liked it. At times seemed too brutal, but it was amazing all the way!

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rhodric

it doesn't have to stick with the formula just because it's got metal gear in the name. raiden isn't snake. :/

Thegerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Thegerman

I totally heard it's still a stealth game... and they just cut so much to show off the destructible environment and the precision...
    I'm pretty sure it's still a stealth game

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By kashif1
    @regmcfly said:
    " So it seems that stealth has completely gone out of the window for this new MGS game, and there are clear elements of DMC / Bayonetta in it. I'm still unsure as to whether this is a good thing.  If you go back to MGS 1, wasn't the highest achievement for killing the least amount of people? Does this dilute the core fun of MGS, or is it a welcome break?   As I said, I'm unsure. "
    this is a spinoff, remember that
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan
    @Wasara88 said:
    " @Brendan:@Brendan said:
    " This isn't a stealth action game.  It's an action game.  It's designed to be different. "
    Yeah but it would be nice if it had some stealth because it would differentiate it from another action games and stealth is a big part of the metal gear franchise. I agree with you that it will be an action focused game,but i just hope it wont forget what makes metal gear what it is....(stealt action and story)."

I don't see how it's name matters.  Final Fantasy has done different styles, and it became things like Tactics.  Also, I'm not sure if you were paying close attention, but the action itself was unlike anything else out there today.  It sounds like you just want more regular MGS, and you're not getting it.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I didn't really think mgs games were really about stealth, rather concealment. I mean to use stealth for mgs4, it's shoot everyone in the face with a tranquiler or you get caught eventually in alert mode. Crawl your way through the whole level ect. It was too stealth action, i'm okay with having more action for this game if that means cutting which seems cool. I don't think all that much as changed in terms of action. However I don't want a devil may cry game of course.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wasara88
    I don't see how it's name matters.  Final Fantasy has done different styles, and it became things like Tactics.  Also, I'm not sure if you were paying close attention, but the action itself was unlike anything else out there today.  It sounds like you just want more regular MGS, and you're not getting it. "
    I'm not saying that it should be like the previous games or that games should stay the same sequel after sequel. True the slicing stuff is new and interesting. I'm just saying that some stealth action would suit it and make it feel like a metal gear game. The game i'm hoping is a mix of ninja gaiden and tenchu style of play. Lots of really stylised action and every now and then a possibility to make cool stealth takedowns. And as i said i'm open to any type of game,just saying what would speak the most to me as a gamer.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wasara88

Looks like there will be some stealth elements to Rising 
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098800p1.html

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Jensonb
    @Brendan said:
    Well, you say that, but last year they were stressing that it's still a stealth game and they'd just changed it to "Lightning Bolt Action" in honour of Raiden's starring role.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93

Other than the fact that he uses a sword it shows no resemblance to DMC or Bayonetta.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I'd rather run through a ton of dudes cutting them up like the trailer instead of sneaking up on some guard. At least for now...

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By time allen

traditionally, ninjas can be both stealthy and brutal. obviously raiden isn't a traditional ninja, you know, with all of the "everything from the chin down is robot" thing going on, but i predict that if you want to play brutally you can, if you want to play stealthily you can. i think there will be some major, forced "take out all of these guys" moments, but that is present in all of the metal gear games anyway.

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By regmcfly

Toms - good point. I suppose I'm still thinking of it as a sort of 'US' stealth game (although, let's be honest, MGS has never REEEAAAALLLLY been that). Perhaps I need to set my mode to Tenchu.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60

You know this game is still stealth right?

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By regmcfly

I do now!

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By time allen
    @Lydian_Sel said:
    " Calling it now; Bayonetta will be your love interest & the final boss will be Dante. "
    sounds a bit preposterous.
    wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By wrathofconn
    @Toms115 said:

" @Lydian_Sel said:

" Calling it now; Bayonetta will be your love interest & the final boss will be Dante. "
    sounds a bit preposterous. "
    Sounds a bit sarcastic.

Whether or not it involves stealth, I am still excited for this game.
    apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By apoptosis61

metal gear solid 3 was the best part of the series

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By regmcfly
    @Lydian_Sel said:
    A million fanboys explode with delight and start writing fanfic.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By time allen
    @wrathofconn said:
    " @Toms115 said:

" @Lydian_Sel said:

sounds a bit preposterous. "
    Sounds a bit sarcastic.  Whether or not it involves stealth, I am still excited for this game. "

neither of those were sarcastic lol. one was a joke pertaining to general plot insanity (plot insanity that i enjoy, however) within the metal gear series, and one was light humour.

but anyway, i too am excited for this game. i hope we get to play as mgs2 raiden at the start, just for old times' sake.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By time allen
    @apoptosis61 said:
    " metal gear solid 3 was the best part of the series "

wrong thread for this, but anybody that disagrees with mgs4 being the current (and unlikely to budge anytime soon, no matter how presumptuous that is regarding the latest additions to the series) leader of the series is straight up wrong. you can have your personal opinions, but placing mgs3 higher up than 4 is silly.

back on topic. i've always liked raiden and being able to play him in his pre-lolrobot stage one last time would be great. i can't deny that his "redeemed" self looks hella fun, though.

Raiden361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raiden361

How so?

Most people still say the best Halo was Halo:CE.

I loved MGS4 but my favourite in the series is still MGS3.
     @Toms115 said:

" @apoptosis61 said:
    " metal gear solid 3 was the best part of the series "

wrong thread for this, but anybody that disagrees with mgs4 being the current (and unlikely to budge anytime soon, no matter how presumptuous that is regarding the latest additions to the series) leader of the series is straight up wrong. you can have your personal opinions, but placing mgs3 higher up than 4 is silly.

back on topic. i've always liked raiden and being able to play him in his pre-lolrobot stage one last time would be great. i can't deny that his "redeemed" self looks hella fun, though.

"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.