Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MDK

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 30, 1997

One of the more unique action games of the 90s, MDK featured stunning, unusual and often comical game design, while breaking new ground graphically. It also offered an intense (if sometimes frustrating) single-player campaign.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #24: MDK

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

No Caption Provided

#24: MDK

Platform(s): PC, Mac and PS1
    Release: 1997
    Developer(s) Shiny
    Best Quote: 'Flange Orbits'
    GB Wiki Page

Why does no one ever talk about this game? MDK is easily one of the most original third person shooters that I've ever played but it seems that nobody else has even heard about this game. Developed by Shiny (of Earthworm Jim fame) the game has you playing as Kurt Hectic, a humble janitor and a fan of Goulash who ends up in an absurd (but hilarious) story to save the world.

Graphically MDK was nothing less then state-of-the-art at the time it was released and is one of the games that hasn't been affected by time. The game was mainly a third person shooter but it had tons of variety and several gameplay types throughout, the best of them being the stream riding sequences.

I've said it many times before but you don't find original IPs that often these days so it's a breath of fresh air when something like MDK comes along. A game which truly breaks the mold and doesn't rely on game clichés or tired old gaming conventions. Games need to think for themselves and this is one that does.

24 down 341 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

No Caption Provided

#24: MDK

Platform(s): PC, Mac and PS1
    Release: 1997
    Developer(s) Shiny
    Best Quote: 'Flange Orbits'
    GB Wiki Page

Why does no one ever talk about this game? MDK is easily one of the most original third person shooters that I've ever played but it seems that nobody else has even heard about this game. Developed by Shiny (of Earthworm Jim fame) the game has you playing as Kurt Hectic, a humble janitor and a fan of Goulash who ends up in an absurd (but hilarious) story to save the world.

Graphically MDK was nothing less then state-of-the-art at the time it was released and is one of the games that hasn't been affected by time. The game was mainly a third person shooter but it had tons of variety and several gameplay types throughout, the best of them being the stream riding sequences.

I've said it many times before but you don't find original IPs that often these days so it's a breath of fresh air when something like MDK comes along. A game which truly breaks the mold and doesn't rely on game clichés or tired old gaming conventions. Games need to think for themselves and this is one that does.

24 down 341 to go.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

C L A S S I C!!!  Loved the HELL out of that game.  I'd really like to see it come into the new age of video gaming.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bioderm

MDK was insane I remember having a blast playing it 

I think I got it whit a video card 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've never played MDK. I should probably play it sometime. I've only ever heard good things about it. Maybe I'll play it sometime before I die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

MDK2 was meh, stick to the original.
    Avatar image for shadowsaber_806
    ShadowSaber_806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ShadowSaber_806

You know, I never got a chance to play the original, but I loved MDK2. One of my favorite games for the PS2
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I hated playing the Doc with his stupid toaster and the horrid jump&run sequences. Playing Max was a blast though (literally).

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Satune
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " I hated playing the Doc with his stupid toaster and the horrid jump&run sequences. Playing Max was a blast though (literally). "
    I know, nothing beats the insanity of having 4 rocket launchers equipped and just firing away!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.