Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Why did I wait so long to play Mass Effect? Part One

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By PaulRevere

For months, my roommate begged me to play Mass Effect. She watched as I played through Red Dead Redemption for a second time, saw the excitement in my eyes for Portal 2, and watched my geekout over Mortal Kombat. Therefore, she could not grasp why I had never attempted Mass Effect. After all, it is a video game and I obviously like video games. I listened to endless pitches about her brother playing through it countless times and how much she loved to read the Codex and learn about alien races. "It's a little like Star Trek," she said, attempting to win over the Trekker in me. But I wasn't convinced. "There is romance," she continued, "and choices to be made that impact the entire galaxy." Natalie is not a gamer, but the plot had drawn her in to the ME world. This is a series that appeals to such a wide audience, so why did I refuse to play?

The truth is, I didn't know anything about ME. I had just skipped over that game and in turn its sequel as if I had been in a coma, hardly acknowledging their existence. And now, with the third game shown at E3, I felt as though I would be unable to break into the series. I told myself, "It'll take me too long to get into and my completionist mindset will make the experience even longer." Plus, I've never been too good at RPGs. Was the frustration worth it? After a while, it didn't matter. I was tired of the constant nagging from Natalie -- finally I bought Mass Effect (for 360).

Commander Rufus and Eden Prime

"Ruuuufuuuuus!" as said by Bill and Ted

My first thought -- "I'm not going to sit around making a character, that's for sure." So I play as generic "John" Shepard, despite the fact that I'm female. I rename him Rufus, because I can't help but name my characters in games after George Carlin's character in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure -- it's a strange weakness. As far as difficulty goes, I set it to normal. Part of me wants to select casual just because I'm playing to humor a friend, but ultimately I want some challenge. Before I know what's up, the prologue starts up with a lot of talk about things I've never heard of and I feel sort of lost. But I remind myself that the game has started just minutes ago and I sit through it, taking an inquisitive approach with my dialogue. Eden Prime, Protheans, a beacon. Words are thrown at me; the vocabulary sticks, but not the definitions. Soon, I'm on Eden Prime and some guy who must be on my team is killed by something called "Geth." I look at his body (in the RDR mindset, thinking I'll get some loot) and come away with some morality points. So, it's one of those games... I have to choose my disposition (my blog before this one talks about my view on good guys). Well I can't pass up a chance to guilt others by taking the righteous path. So it's settled -- Rufus is a good guy.

Space zombies are just scientists who couldn't outrun their coworkers

Right away, it seems, I'm fighting these "Geth" and starting to hate them more every second. However, once I adjust to the aiming (it always take me a few minutes), I can say the controls feel good and the shooting comes with ease. Somewhere in between bits of fighting, I meet some chick named Ashley. She seems okay and I act accordingly, gaining some morality points. After some more fighting and cutscenes, I head out to meet up with Nihlus. But first I encounter husks and want to burn everything. The concept is similar to that of a zombie, but somehow space zombies are way creepier than earth zombies. But pulling me out of my concentration on how awful husks are is a cutscene and then loud gunshot marking the end of our dear Nihlus. And by "dear Nihlus," I mean the turian (or as I first thought "turanian") who I had just started recognizing. Countless cutscenes and Geth later, I'm rushing after some other turian named Saren who I'm pretty sure is a major dick. Then after some more Geth, I'm disabling bombs that Saren McDickface set up to destroy the colony of Eden Prime. Suddenly, things are starting to make sense... except for these special abilities the game keeps telling me to use. I'll figure those out later, thanks.

Finally, there are no more enemies. all the Geth and space zombies are out of the way and I've found the beacon. Before I can do anything, Ashley pulls a stupid move and gets too close to the beacon. Because Rufus is a man, I have to save her instead of letting natural selection take its course. But of course, the beacon does not kill Ashley nor Rufus, but rather shows me some crazy images and then throws me to the ground like trash. I'm not sure what the hell is going on at this point. I wake up on the ship in sickbay and engage Ashley in a conversation. I thank her for saving me because apparently she did that and all of a sudden I'm hitting on her because I can't just thank her, I have to flirt a little. Anderson -- Mr. Anderson -- Neo tells me to go up and talk to Seth Green about going to the Citadel. And that ends my adventure on Eden Prime.

And the point of all this?

I'm going to put up several blogs documenting my time playing Mass Effect. Some will be more detailed than others and I will omit most side missions unless they contain something that I really wanna talk about. I hope some of you will get some kind of enjoyment out of this. If not, you don't have to read. I'm just putting this here because it is a blog on a video game site after all. Part two will talk about the Citadel -- the most awesome space station in the history of Prothean space stations.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PaulRevere

For months, my roommate begged me to play Mass Effect. She watched as I played through Red Dead Redemption for a second time, saw the excitement in my eyes for Portal 2, and watched my geekout over Mortal Kombat. Therefore, she could not grasp why I had never attempted Mass Effect. After all, it is a video game and I obviously like video games. I listened to endless pitches about her brother playing through it countless times and how much she loved to read the Codex and learn about alien races. "It's a little like Star Trek," she said, attempting to win over the Trekker in me. But I wasn't convinced. "There is romance," she continued, "and choices to be made that impact the entire galaxy." Natalie is not a gamer, but the plot had drawn her in to the ME world. This is a series that appeals to such a wide audience, so why did I refuse to play?

The truth is, I didn't know anything about ME. I had just skipped over that game and in turn its sequel as if I had been in a coma, hardly acknowledging their existence. And now, with the third game shown at E3, I felt as though I would be unable to break into the series. I told myself, "It'll take me too long to get into and my completionist mindset will make the experience even longer." Plus, I've never been too good at RPGs. Was the frustration worth it? After a while, it didn't matter. I was tired of the constant nagging from Natalie -- finally I bought Mass Effect (for 360).

Commander Rufus and Eden Prime

"Ruuuufuuuuus!" as said by Bill and Ted

My first thought -- "I'm not going to sit around making a character, that's for sure." So I play as generic "John" Shepard, despite the fact that I'm female. I rename him Rufus, because I can't help but name my characters in games after George Carlin's character in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure -- it's a strange weakness. As far as difficulty goes, I set it to normal. Part of me wants to select casual just because I'm playing to humor a friend, but ultimately I want some challenge. Before I know what's up, the prologue starts up with a lot of talk about things I've never heard of and I feel sort of lost. But I remind myself that the game has started just minutes ago and I sit through it, taking an inquisitive approach with my dialogue. Eden Prime, Protheans, a beacon. Words are thrown at me; the vocabulary sticks, but not the definitions. Soon, I'm on Eden Prime and some guy who must be on my team is killed by something called "Geth." I look at his body (in the RDR mindset, thinking I'll get some loot) and come away with some morality points. So, it's one of those games... I have to choose my disposition (my blog before this one talks about my view on good guys). Well I can't pass up a chance to guilt others by taking the righteous path. So it's settled -- Rufus is a good guy.

Right away, it seems, I'm fighting these "Geth" and starting to hate them more every second. However, once I adjust to the aiming (it always take me a few minutes), I can say the controls feel good and the shooting comes with ease. Somewhere in between bits of fighting, I meet some chick named Ashley. She seems okay and I act accordingly, gaining some morality points. After some more fighting and cutscenes, I head out to meet up with Nihlus. But first I encounter husks and want to burn everything. The concept is similar to that of a zombie, but somehow space zombies are way creepier than earth zombies. But pulling me out of my concentration on how awful husks are is a cutscene and then loud gunshot marking the end of our dear Nihlus. And by "dear Nihlus," I mean the turian (or as I first thought "turanian") who I had just started recognizing. Countless cutscenes and Geth later, I'm rushing after some other turian named Saren who I'm pretty sure is a major dick. Then after some more Geth, I'm disabling bombs that Saren McDickface set up to destroy the colony of Eden Prime. Suddenly, things are starting to make sense... except for these special abilities the game keeps telling me to use. I'll figure those out later, thanks.

Finally, there are no more enemies. all the Geth and space zombies are out of the way and I've found the beacon. Before I can do anything, Ashley pulls a stupid move and gets too close to the beacon. Because Rufus is a man, I have to save her instead of letting natural selection take its course. But of course, the beacon does not kill Ashley nor Rufus, but rather shows me some crazy images and then throws me to the ground like trash. I'm not sure what the hell is going on at this point. I wake up on the ship in sickbay and engage Ashley in a conversation. I thank her for saving me because apparently she did that and all of a sudden I'm hitting on her because I can't just thank her, I have to flirt a little. Anderson -- Mr. Anderson -- Neo tells me to go up and talk to Seth Green about going to the Citadel. And that ends my adventure on Eden Prime.

And the point of all this?

I'm going to put up several blogs documenting my time playing Mass Effect. Some will be more detailed than others and I will omit most side missions unless they contain something that I really wanna talk about. I hope some of you will get some kind of enjoyment out of this. If not, you don't have to read. I'm just putting this here because it is a blog on a video game site after all. Part two will talk about the Citadel -- the most awesome space station in the history of Prothean space stations.

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Hargreaves93

Nice read man, I'm surprised you've not played ME before, it's a great game. I'm currently going through it like you but it's not my first time unfortunately, I wish it was as the game blew me away the first time around.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Draugen

You owe your room-mate a debt of gratitude. :)

Thanks for the enjoyable read.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By jorbear

In my opinion, the first Mass Effect is the better game. If you are playing on PC. I heard the inventory management is much more tedious on the 360, but on the PC it isn't as cumbersome. Also, the story is more focused than ME2, which is a plus for me. So have fun with one of my favorite games of all time!

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rawrz

I too was late to the Mass Effect party since I was never a fan of role playing games but with all the praise that 2 got I decided to give the series a chance and have really enjoyed it so far.

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hargreaves93

I really enjoyed ME2 due to the improvements in the combat however, I feel that the first game had a more fleshed out universe.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Shabs

I was late to the party on Mass Effect as well, and I wasn't an RPG guy. It was on sale new for $10 so I figured I might as well dive in.

I am now deep in to Mass Effect universe. Way too many hours spent on that game and its sequel, and I've even read all of those terribly written books just for some delicious snippets of canon.

ME1 holds up even though the mechanics of ME2 are better because ME1 has the more epic story and setting.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Dingofighter

I want to play Mass Effect for the first time again, it just isn't fun when you have played through it multiple times on both PC and 360...

I also hate Eden Prime because I've played through it so many times trying to start over again without getting bored. I haven't been very successful...

fri3drich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By fri3drich

ME is awesome! Good for you. Enjoy it while it lasts (the sequel is not as good in my opinion).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

Mass Effect IMHO is the best game ever made. Have a good time with it.

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hargreaves93
    @MaFoLu said:

I want to play Mass Effect for the first time again, it just isn't fun when you have played through it multiple times on both PC and 360...

I also hate Eden Prime because I've played through it so many times trying to start over again without getting bored. I haven't been very successful...

I hate Eden Prime as well. I hate it with a passion.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

Better late than never.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fraser

Bought Mass Effect 2 last week. (I'm a PS3 owner so I didn't have the good fortune to play the first game)

It has blown my mind. Started a second playthrough this morning. Something I'm finding really strange is that, since playing it, ME seems to be everywhere. Articles left, right and centre dropping things about presentation of women, moral choices, etc. etc.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By John1912

I really dont understand the love for ME, and I would really like too.  Only managed to play threw about half of it the first time.  Then finally got threw it years later.  I just dont see the appeal in ME, even removing the Mako its just a marginal game to me.  Combat was just cutting it, and the story and voice acting is just dry as can be. 

ME2 was much improved imo, but still does not draw me in as a fan.  I dont know what it is, but something in the overall atmosphere of ME just ruins my enjoyment of the games in a way that just makes me not care about any of it.  Its just eh, its ok/pretty good.  Usually I can see why ppl enjoy a game or a series, but ME just leaves me at a loss trying to identify with its rabid fan base and I dont know why.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Pezen

"Because Rufus is a man, I have to save her instead of letting natural selection take its course."

Ha! That is absolutely genius! Now on to read the second part which was what brought me to this first part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.