Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Whom Did You Save and Why?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nightriff

Ashley, always Ashley. I don't understand why someone would every pick Kaiden over her. Even FemShep saves Ashley in my book, just makes sense to me. And you can convince her not to be Space Racist anymore guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Ashley because Kaidan was with the bomb. I wasn't leaving the bomb until Saren was good and gone and the bomb was secured.

It probably didn't hurt that I was already a lady soldier, so I had a lady soldier to spare.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Kaiden, dude's not a space racist.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

I really don't like either character, but Ashley's a lower ranking grunt and Kaiden's a higher ranking biotic. It makes more sense to save him.

She's also kinda a space racist.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dystonym

Kaiden. Had just about enough of Ashley's space racism by the time it came to it.

Also Kaiden was straight up magic which helped.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

Ash is distrustful of aliens, but not xenophobic. I'm pretty sure I saved her because Kaiden was all about making sure the bomb went off and I agreed with him.

Kaiden had a good death, and it kinda sucks that there weren't any situations where making a choice would definitely result in someone's death (or leaving) until the very end of the series, since those choices tend to be the toughest and most memorable. For instance, it would have been pretty cool if some of the clashes between characters in ME2 just straight up weren't solvable through diplomacy, and resulted in either-or crewmates.

Sarge506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sarge506

Ashley.

Because boobies.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

Kaiden. Both him and Ashley are hella generic cardboard cutout characters with cardboard cutout issues to make it seem like they have depth. But at least Kaiden didn't have a big obvious set of knockers hanging off him. I cut Ashley loose because I don't like it when video games try to pander to me.

At least Miranda had a narrative reason for being a Barbie doll.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By icicle7x3

Kaiden, he seemed more helpless at the time and thought Ashley would be fine on her own.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ashley, but I would have killed both if I had the chance.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I saved Ashley because even though I was doing everything I could NOT to romance Kaiden, the game wasn't getting the message and kept giving him progressively more friendly dialogue with my Femshep. So, really, the only thing left to do was friend-zone him permanently. Via nuclear detonation. I'm sure he understood.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheHT agreed. Series has far too much Hit The Special Option To Win moments, which seriously hampers its ability to be affective. It's important to note that the one situation where you very definitely couldn't get both options is the most memorable.
    Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kaiden, because he's Carth Onasi.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

I saved both, because I had separate playthroughs. But my male Shepard saved Kaiden and FemShep saved Ashley.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I think in Mass Effect 1 they hadn't really defined how powerful Biotics could be, whereas a physically resilient soldier with a gun was pretty clearly useful. I remember on my hardest difficultly run I would camp in the back while I sent in Ash and Wrex to tank/kill for me. I just sat in the back waiting for my respawn units cooldown to reset while I took potshots form safety. Good Times.

Also I was already a biotic and thus based on the "squad build" bars, didn't need to bring another one with me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight all the characters in 1 are cardboard cutouts, we just forgive a couple because a) aliens are cool or b) the cardboard cutout is cool. People liked Tali, but she was nothing but a codex entry for the quarian race that could use light armor and AI Hacking. Tali didn't have a personality until 2, Liara was an archetypical ingenue until 2. Garrus, Ashley and Kaidan were Cowboy Cop, Tough Girl and Sensitive Guy and little more. The only character that actually got to show a multifaceted personality was Wrex.

I feel like 1 nailed the science and failed on characterization, 3 got characters but collapsed on science, and 2 got them both right.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@Brodehouse said:

and 2 got them both right.

I agree with you there, but I still hated Jack. Put some clothes on, you freak!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pr1mus

In my first game i saved Kaidan because Ashley is so fucking annoying. But now that i played ME3 and found out that Kaidan is even more annoying in that game than Ashley is in the first one he's the one who ate it in my second playthrough.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fattony12000

Both.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight

@Brodehouse said:

I've actually read a pretty compelling article that talks about how survivors of invasive physical trauma often turn to 'extreme' expressions in order to reassert agency over their own body; this would be Jack's tattoos and choice of dress. There's actually a lot about her mannerisms as relates to contact that expresses this, even when this close to fighting Miranda she eschews making any contact, Shepard manages to bar her path temporarily simply by placing his arm in front of her, in her romance scene there's clear trepidation regarding touching Shepard. I think a lot of people brush Jack off way too fast, and it's almost a metastory with that character. Her initial characterization is hostile and tries to push you away, those that are pushed away play into her negative feedback loop, which in itself explains her hostility. There's more there than people give credit for.

Of course, her nakedness is also just an art designer going "I gave her all these tattoos and I want them showed off Goddammit!"

But that's not your point, and not really germane to this topic.
    Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Levius

Kaiden, mainly because I was a soldier so I would always take a biotic and a tech guy with me, so I hardly ever used her and she wasn't particularly interesting character to me. Kaiden was one of my main guys.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nightriff

@Brodehouse: Agreed, I think Jack gets a lot of shit she doesn't deserve. I still think she is probably the best story romance as she begins to open up about herself towards Shep.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Kaiden, I thought failing to ensure he was doing alright would've ended with the bomb failing to detonate for some reason so I figured I'd personally ensure it went off as planned by backing him up.

I hadn't realized it would've went off properly either way. I might've saved Ashley in that case.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By breadfan

@Skyfire543 said:

Kaiden, because he's Carth Onasi.

That's why I let him die.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BaneFireLord

Ashley, out of chivalry.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UlquioKani

I prefer Kaiden but saved Ashley because I was thinking with my dick

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Kaiden, because ME2 comic and not the actual game.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Ashley, Why? My dick.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By GunstarRed

Kaiden most of the time because Ashley is a terrible space racist. I played through the first game about seven times for all the achievements and ended up saving her a couple of times, but the save that carried over into 2 and 3 that bitch was dead.

(Kaiden is pretty lame though.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Kaiden was pretty lame in Mass Effect 1, but at least he wasn't a racist. Also, he became less lame in ME 3, which is another nice perk.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MezZa

Ashley. I never found Kaiden to be that interesting, and I figured it would be better for him to be there guarding the bomb til it went off anyway.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By s10129107

Kaiden's powers were completely useless. He was on bomb duty and he knew it. I DID WHAT I HAD TO DO DAMMIT...

:::sobs::::

i'm sooo sorry Kaiden

:::sobs::::

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By LackingSaint

Kaiden, because he's not a shitty person.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

@Brodehouse said:

@Ravenlight

@Brodehouse said:

I've actually read a pretty compelling article that talks about how survivors of invasive physical trauma often turn to 'extreme' expressions in order to reassert agency over their own body; this would be Jack's tattoos and choice of dress. There's actually a lot about her mannerisms as relates to contact that expresses this, even when this close to fighting Miranda she eschews making any contact, Shepard manages to bar her path temporarily simply by placing his arm in front of her, in her romance scene there's clear trepidation regarding touching Shepard. I think a lot of people brush Jack off way too fast, and it's almost a metastory with that character. Her initial characterization is hostile and tries to push you away, those that are pushed away play into her negative feedback loop, which in itself explains her hostility. There's more there than people give credit for. Of course, her nakedness is also just an art designer going "I gave her all these tattoos and I want them showed off Goddammit!" But that's not your point, and not really germane to this topic.

I think Jack is a fairly well-realized character, I just didn't like her even after the back story and romance option :P

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaiden, usually. I find his backstory like from Jump Zero to be more interesting that Ashley's. And I think Kaiden's voice actor is better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.