Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

How buggy is it?

• 82 results
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I'm mostly asking about the PC version. Of the reviews so far the only thing that has me worried and is stopping me from getting it right now is the fear of bugs. There wasn't much overlap in the issues experienced by reviewers but they had alarming bugs such an multiplying NPCs and characters you don't even have yet appearing on your ship and speaking. How buggy is it for you? or from what you've heard.

For perspective, I don't find Bethesda games that buggy but that may be because I am very familiar with how its systems work, and can usually fix any issues using the console or working around the engine quirks. I won't have that chance here.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Keep in mind there will be a day one patch so chances are some of the issues you hear about will be fixed.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dgtlty said:

Keep in mind there will be a day one patch so chances are some of the issues you hear about will be fixed.

Eh don't count on it, the trial had the patch already and I'm sure reviewers did also.

There WAS a patch earlier today but it sounds like it was mostly a fix for the MP?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: Day 1 patch was already confirmed to be apart of the EA Access version people had as of last Friday.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen any stream without some sort of glitch, so i would say pretty buggy. I had issues with cover and stuff myself seen some character pop ins and had a t-pose glitch while walking lol(it fixed itself at least).

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Castiel

Buggier than a dune buggy.

I actually don't know other than what I have seen in videos. The bugs mostly seem to be harmless though and mostly unintentionally funny. Haven't heard anything specifically about the PC version though.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only encountered one noticeable bug (other than animation glitches), but it was a bad one; and I saw a bunch of people on reddit saying they had the same bug. If you start a playthrough with a second character, somehow the game isn't properly separating it from your first character's save file, so NPCs are in places they shouldn't be and triggers for things like 'use the scanner for the first time' don't fire. Its not playable past the first 5 minutes because a story-locked door doesn't open.

I have seen suggestions that the bug only happens if you use the same first name for both characters. Or that it only happens if you switch from one character to the other without quitting the game completely. But I can't verify those yet. Either way, its need to get fixed. If you only have one character its not an issue, but if you decide to restart because you don't like your current character or if you want to run concurrent playthroughs, it's gonna be an issue.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

There was a patch added yesterday morning that fixed a few things. Namely a number of sound issues people were experiencing; I wouldnt be surprised to see a few more roll out over the next few months unless sales are crazy low.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten some npcs stuck in T-poses, but that was in the 10 hour demo thing. Hopefully that will change after a patch or something.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fezrock: Yeah I read about that one specifically. Shouldn't affect me though in the trial I had like 3 characters and didn't have that issue.

@eroq: I had a Lizafos stuck in a T pose in Zelda.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman: I thought the recent patch was mostly for multiplayer sound issues, so not that worrying.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By militantfreudian

The worst technical issues I've encountered so far were related to the menus and interface. The experience pop-up got stuck on screen until I re-loaded a save, and I currently have the exclamation mark near the codex even though I have no new entries. I haven't experienced any significant slowdowns or notable glitches in my four hours of play.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst thing I've seen is being unable to interact with an objective after combat. I think the game failed to recognize that combat had ended, cleared up after a reload though so no big deal.

No t-poses or crazy npc behavior yet.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Mister_V

Only bug I had was during the intro mission on starting a new save. The lightning in the level makes the camera shake, only for me it never stopped shaking so shooting got real rough. It persisted after the mission had ended and I was back on the ship. Had to quit and reload. But other than that not had any other bugs I can think of.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: considering Lizafos lay down and blend in the scenery it kinda failed to hide from me when it stands up, arms spread.

Avatar image for sandalinbohemia
    sandalinbohemia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I encountered the bug where squad mates you haven't even met yet are already interacting with each other over the comm on the ship. It wasn't gamebreaking in any way unless you went into this game without knowing anything about your squad, I guess.

As for a minor bug, two npcs in the cryo bay were bugged so it looked like a turian was sitting in a human's lap.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Dragon age Inquisition had a lot of bugs at first. The game crashed a lot and my voice changed at some point. These things got fixed. I'm sure the bugs will get fixed here too. I've not heard of anything too bad.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas: I still never quite managed to avoid the most annoying Inquisition bug half the time. Going through all of character creation and then losing it when the opening cutscene just deposited me into a map you're never supposed to be on.

I'm pretty sure unlocking the framerate made that particular issue worse so maybe that's a little on me but I think it still happened once or twice even when I didn't.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I had that bug. Stranded in the fade running around in the opening scene without an escape.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brandondryrock

Played the entire 10 hour trial on Origin Access, about 8 hours of the single player and 2 hours of multiplayer. Multiplayer can be laggy if the host has a poor connection. I'm guessing they are using P2P instead of a dedicated server, which kind of sucks. I'm hoping I can find a group of people that I can play with consistently that all have good connections (add me on Origin if you want: bmdubya).

In single player I've come across a little jank, but nothing that I would call major. There was one time where subtitles came up like Ryder was speaking, but I didn't hear any audio. Sometimes there is issues with collision detection: feet going through terrain, or the tires on the rover thing (forgot the name) driving through rocks. But that's all I can think off of the top of my head.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The game itself is running great. 4k and HDR is amazing. I've played about 15 hours.. the faces still freak me out (so much so that is really is distracting and taking away from the game. i really wish i didn't pick the default female.)

I've not seen anything game breaking. just odd stuff.. walking odd. floating stuff. oh, i had to reload when i failed on one of the console minigames.

I'm happy they added SLI support (nvidia drivers yesterday.) One card wasn't enough to keep it at 60. Now with SLI i'm rocking the FPS everything maxed at 4k. (i'll say it again.. HDR is pretty god damn amazing) :)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rethla

Apart from graphical glitches that doesnt concern me that much i had a few minor buggs.

Most notable that the quest tracker got stuck on one specific completed task in one specific area. Every time i ran onboard the Hyperion the quest tracker reverted back to an "Talk with xxx, Completed" status which wasnt optimal. If i changed the tracked quest or left the zone it fixed itself but every time i went back there that exact message came back.

Another minor bug i encountered was that several NPCs "forgot" that they had spoken to me and even though it was the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time i talked to them they opened with their base greeting and discussion topics to choose from.

This is from my 10h trial on PC

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By zaccheus

I played 10 hours of the tria in single player and had zero problems with the PC version. Ran great in 2560x1440 with my 970. I just put the graphics on high since I didn't feel like messing with them during my limited time. Nvidia also released drivers for the game today, but I don't know what effect those have.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: I just barely get 60 on a 1070 on ultra at 1440p so you're probably doing good. The performance difference with the latest driver is only for SLI users, it will be identical for single cards.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zaccheus said:

I played 10 hours of the tria in single player and had zero problems with the PC version. Ran great in 2560x1440 with my 970. I just put the graphics on high since I didn't feel like messing with them during my limited time. Nvidia also released drivers for the game today, but I don't know what effect those have.

Game ran great on my 960m with a couple of minor hiccups on loads from cutscenes or menus. Game definitely runs better smooth at 1080 and I start to see a little bit more hiccups as I get into the higher resolutions but nothing that was a deterent.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: Maybe it's different in the full game, but if you set it to "high" you might want to check your resolution scaling as when i did it it scaled it down to 1080p. So you may not actually be playing at 1440

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So I was having a lot of problems running the trial version of the game at first, but then once the Nvidia drivers came out for it I've seen a significant improvement. FPS sticks around the 50s-60s for me (granted I'm playing with half the recommended RAM), only dipping into the 40s and very occasionally 30s in single-player when I'm outside and there's a lot of weather effects happening.

As for the technical performance of the game itself, I'm not gonna lie, I have gotten myself stuck in some geometry and times and there has been some texture pop, but it's still nowhere near as bad as social media would have you believe.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@oursin_360 said:

@zaccheus: Maybe it's different in the full game, but if you set it to "high" you might want to check your resolution scaling as when i did it it scaled it down to 1080p. So you may not actually be playing at 1440

Hey you're right, resolution scale was "auto 1080p". I bet it won't run well with high and 1440 on my 970, most games don't. But I guess I can play it scaled down since I honestly didn't realize it, usually 1080 looks awful on my 1440 monitor. I also have a 1080 TV next to me so I might just play on that. It's so nice that games now have the display selection thing in their settings so you don't have to mess with the windows settings as much.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

How are the M/K controls on PC?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@oursin_360 said:

Hey you're right, resolution scale was "auto 1080p". I bet it won't run well with high and 1440 on my 970, most games don't. But I guess I can play it scaled down since I honestly didn't realize it, usually 1080 looks awful on my 1440 monitor. I also have a 1080 TV next to me so I might just play on that. It's so nice that games now have the display selection thing in their settings so you don't have to mess with the windows settings as much.

Yeah I can't tell the difference between auto 1080 and no scaling despite being really picky about resolution. Maybe it's not kicking in until things get really bad?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: @zaccheus: My guess is that it is scaling internal at 1080 but your still outputting a 1440p signal, so it may look better than your default scaling from your montor/tv/gpu. It could be a dynamic thing though i am not sure.

alphamachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alphamachina

Got the game in today. So far, it's been /okay/ but I have seen some pretty annoying bugs, some maybe even gamebreaking, but I'm not even sure if one is a bug yet or if I screwed up a mission somehow on Eos.

Anyway, so far I've had the sound cut out completely. A game restart fixed this.

On pressing [E] to select the tram on Nexus, I was force-booted out of the game with the message "Tampering Detected" Denuvo bugged much?

Characters faces and animations are a bit robotic and creepy. Eyes clip through eyelids. NPC's clip through objects, doors, and walls occasionally. Really kills the immersion. Now I know why I'd never preordered a game before. But I REALLY wanted to play this one. The missions make the game feel like an MMO that you play by yourself, so there's almost always a lonely air to the whole thing. It's a similar feeling that I got when playing Morrowind back in the day. It feels like it's missing something... intangible, like something I can't explain.

Just now when I "died" trying to jumpjet across an area, the game was trying to load back in but it just sat at the loading screen with a full loading bar forever, so I closed it out and came to Google to search for others with the need to complain about their frustrations with this letdown of a M.E. game. I'm going to keep playing it, hoping it gets better, but I'm just not so sure.

• CPU: i7 7700K @ 4.5GHz (be quiet! Dark Rock 3 cooler)
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3000
    • Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7
    • GPU: Sapphire NITRO R9 390X 8GB
    • M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (System)
    • HDD: 2 x HGST 4TB 7200RPM 64MB NAS storage
    • SSD: Corsair 1TB SATA3
    • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Anthracite Grey Tempered Glass
    • Monitor: LG 34" 2K Ultrawide 144Hz 4ms (Games)
    • TV: Samsung 42" 4K (Movies, TV, pr0n :D, etc.)

alphamachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alphamachina

Great, my game is completely bugged now. It won't go past the loading screen at all. Can't get back in.

Edit: Finally got past the loading screen, but on one of the fastest drives on the planet and 32GB of RAM, it took more than 5 minutes to load for some reason. Something is wrong. It would have to be a HUGE memory leak to stall this system like that.

alphamachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, in all honesty, despite the issues so far, the game is incredibly beautiful. I mean, spectacular. And some of the missions are better than others. What I feel like this game is really missing is that sense of companionship that the earlier games had. It doesn't have likable characters that you feel you can invest in like ME3 had. The NPCs are just kind of "there". If it weren't for the bugs, I'd likely have very little in terms of complaining to do. I'm running on some high settings with ultra on texture, shader, terrain, and effects. I'll be able to max it out at 1080P and maybe even on my ultrawide 34" LG monitor when I get my GTX 1080. Until then, the R9 390X is doing fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I encountered a bug where I completed a quest before I received it from the NPC, but the NPC still gave me the quest when I talked to her again, however the quest still completed so it was harmless, I was just really confused when it happened. Other than that I'm still really enjoying the game.

alphamachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By alphamachina

After playing the game since 1PM this afternoon (9 hours straight) I can honestly say that it's grown on me. I'm having a blast now. Seems I've gotten past a large majority of the bugs, but holy sh-t, man... I'm still on the same planet. This is going to be a long one. :D :D :D :D

**** If anyone wants to add me on Origin for some multiplayer, hit me up: jivefly ****

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have several hours into a base PS4 version and aside from some framerate dips here and there (mainly while scanning with the omni-tool) it's been solid so far. Haven't run into any bugs or glitches yet (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc).

Honestly I'm not noticing the mouth movement and dead eyes issues while playing myself but there are times when a character (mainly your Ryder) does give off a face that's out of context. A few lines are a bit off (nothing cringe worthy though) and there is a too much reverence associated with you in your newly gifted title. After reading the codex on Pathfinders, seeing how you become one, and then completing the first main mission on Eos, I think your role becomes justified.

It is unfortunate that the game takes so long to get going. Previous Bioware games have suffered from this but Andromeda takes about as long as Dragon Age Inquisition did...though I think I'm also forgetting how long it took their previous games to pick up. That rote beginning dungeon in BG 2, the whole first world of Kotor before you meet with the Jedi Council, the initial Citadel part of ME 1 after teasing you with an awesome tutorial mission, etc.

I am really digging the combat though as well as the exploration. The environments are gorgeous and the the Nomad is really cool to drive around in. PeeBee so far is the frontrunner for best party member in the game, which is surprising as her introduction is fairly eye-rolling. After that bad, first impression though she's been pretty cool. The other party members are more muted in their personalities than PeeBee but I'm liking them so far. Their characteristics are less obvious and in your face which is a welcome change (the scoundrel isn't always cracking wise, the superhuman biotic is all alpha/aggro, the krogan already seems like he has more to him than just bloodlust).

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC version seems to be fine with some rpg jank here and there. Still those faces are so weird especially the human ones. Let's go all Alien team at least they look fine

alphamachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On PC, and with a pretty severely good system, I'm having long load times. If I die, I have to wait 5 minutes before I'm back in the game sometimes. It's ridiculous.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By Francium34

Put 2.5 hours in last night (PC)

Thought "oh that looks really weird" on a few animations/faces.

Also got the "tampering detected" boot once (I was playing as the game downloaded in the background, so might just be my particular case), reloading was long but worked fine afterwards.

Everything was good until Cora T-posed in one cutscene conversation, and remained so afterwards. Sure bugs happen all the time, but that particular one did have me put down my controller and go to bed.

Also greatly annoyed how much of a hassle it is to change graphical settings, and window mode setting is weird as well.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had to reload a save five+ times in less than ten hours with it because missions just break. This is shit is on Assassin's Creed Unity level of broken.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got an audio glitch where all the sound went out, had to restart. Happened during multiplayer

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

On a scale Orkin Protected to Completely Infested, where Orkin Protected is bug free and Completely Infested is Assassins Creed Unity, then this game is that scene from Starship Troopers where the army of bugs ambushes the squad and kills Michael Ironside.

In addition to having all the already seen animation bugs and T-poses, I've had Ryder T-pose during a conversation and at least two bugs that prevented me from continuing on the critical path and forced a reload. One was right at the beginning when checking on your sibling - I got to the cryo pod first and the NPCs hemmed me in so I couldn't get out and I could move to talk to them and continue the scene. The second was trying to take a Kett base where it would not correctly identify that I had completed the stated objective so the game did not advance.

And when I reload a game, it decides to remap all my powers at random and remove any profiles from whatever favorites I had set up. It's also pretty consistent that characters talk over their own dialogue so you miss mission important information, the menu's sometimes fail to load and sometimes just fickler obnoxiously when you are in them. And for some reason no music plays either on the Nexus or your ship. That last one might be a design decision, but if it is it's a damn bad one. Makes things seem even more dead than they already are.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shorap

Playing on a base ps4 and haven't run into anything that required me to restart the game. What is affecting me though is the framerate. Whenever there's battle going on the framerate takes a dive and can sometimes become a slideshow on the level of the first game on the 360.

It annoys me so much that I'm putting the game on hold until/unless it gets an optimization patch. There was some slowdown in Inquisition (that never got patched to a consistent 30 which has me worried about this game) and while it could annoy, I didn't think it hindered my ability to play the game. With a game that's twitch-based and requires aiming, having an inconsistent framerate is a real, big bummer and has killed my interest in advancing anymore unless it gets fixed.

One thing I've learned this gen is not to get any game day one and wait for patches to improve framerate, quality of life features, and fix bugs/glitches. I took a chance on Andromeda out of the gate because it's Mass Effect and while it sounds like it fairs better on console than on the pc, I still wish I would've waited for some more patches to come out.

Mudig88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing it on the Xbox One and the framerate is pretty bad. The worst part though is the horrible input lag. I was playing it on hard mode but I kept getting my ass kicked because it's so hard to aim. I don't know why I didn't just get it on PC.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mudig88: I haven't had any problems on my XBox? There's some pop in, but otherwise it's been smooth. Are you playing on an OG Xbox One, or an S?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mulitplayer seems bugged as hell so far, randomly got stuck in a wall a couple times, just had the most laggy match ever and then the game CTD. It's also terribly balanced, but that's not a bug i guess lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.