Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

How could you forgive the ending to ME3?

• 77 results
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By fattony12000

It was, and still remains, just okay. There was some bad editing/camera shots/dialogue/scriptwriting in those last few minutes, for sure, but in the end I did what I came here to do...destroy those damn sexy Reapers. At least, in the 'prime canon' version of my playthrough of the series.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I can only forgive EA if they buy me off with FREE GAMES!!!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By sickVisionz

@jaffaz said:

What is the one thing you can think of that would let you get past that ending?

The fact that it wasn't that bad. I thought it was supposed to be like 2001 but it made significantly more sense.

SweeneyTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By SweeneyTodd

I didn't buy any DLC past From Ashes, and I probably wouldn't play another ME game. I feel like that ship has sailed. I'm not still mad about the ending, or anything, just didn't give them any more money. Same with Dragon Age, stayed well away from 2.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bioware steals fans idea and make Shepard indoctrinated, then I would forgive it, "star child" is a rather broken idea.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Man, I hope you got a trust fund because you aren't ready for the world.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By donchipotle

Because I just figured they were making one giant 2001 reference.

That's still my justification.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Joystick_Hero

So, I finally played this game and beat it just a week ago. I've only seen the extended cut ending, so take that into consideration when you read this.

One of the biggest problems I had with the ending is the introduction of holo-kid right at the end. It was just duuumb. Now, had it been Harbinger you spoke with, that would have been more compelling. That's what it seemed to be leading up to in the first place: a final confrontation with the Reapers. Have the Illusive Man pull a Sauren and be controlled fully, have that creepy voice say exactly what the conduit did, and you've got something I would have enjoyed more.

Also, why not make playing since the first game unlock a couple of specialty endings? I was kind of sore when I learned that ultimately the ending didn't really depend on what I had done outside of ME3. Maybe make it so that the fought can be won without the conduit's help if you had done 80% or so of the missions in ME 1 & 2?

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect series spoilers throughout the entire post. You were warned.

The original ending seemed fitting, keeping in mind what Mass Effect considers roleplaying to be. Renegade, Paragon, or something in the middle: that is what the series has always been about.

Also, Bioware's never been overly concerned with continuity between Mass Effects. Off the tip of my mind: big choices in 1 mean nothing in 2. Most of 2 makes no sense if you have a specific background from ME1. Mass Effect 3's face import feature from 2 to 3 was broken for weeks after release. The Mako in 1. Planet scanning in 2. War score (or whatever it's called) in 3. That entire sidequest that is auto-Renege for the entire series regardless of your choices in ME1. Massively bad design decisions or gross negligence that Bioware decides "will be enough."

That Mass Effect 3 lived up to its name was all we could truly expect.

I didn't buy any DLC past From Ashes, and I probably wouldn't play another ME game. I feel like that ship has sailed. I'm not still mad about the ending, or anything, just didn't give them any more money. Same with Dragon Age, stayed well away from 2.

Everyone would do well to heed this example. Citadel tempts me nonetheless. :(

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By OurSin_360

Take out star child and add in Xzibit

No Caption Provided

The real ending would have been better, with the dark matter/energy sci-fi techno-babble. Instead of pretty much jacking Deus Ex human revolutions ending verbatim.

But to be honest, my real gripe with the game wasn't the ending but the over all gameplay. Sure the combat was the best in the series, but side missions were fucking terrible, conversations were toned downed and streamlined (getting non interactive speeches from crew members was the most unsatisfying thing in the entire series), and the overall pace was bad. ME was a good experiment with lots of flaws, ME3 was alright but felt like a more lackign version of ME2, but ME2 was a damn near perfect combo of combat, story, and roleplaying.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The way to that ending was great. I got hours upon hours of high quality entertainment from the game, so just having one not-what-I-wanted hour of content isn't so bad. And the ending wasn't all that bad. It wasn't what I wanted, but I still think the ME trilogy is one of the best things to happen to this generation.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioware did try to forgive the ending, it's called the Citadel DLC.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64  Edited By Seppli

There's nothing to forgive. It was a weak ending. It hit me in waves, how weak it really was. There's really no crime here to forgive. Failure is acceptable.

What I cannot forgive is how 'effed in the bee the mystery box unlock scheme for its coop multiplayer is. I loved it. I played the shit out of it. And increasingly, I felt like I'm getting disrespectfully slapped in the face with the exploitative nature of it all - EA/Bioware's massive boner for free 2 play monetizing hooks. Mystery boxes are a crime, especially if they support redundant rewards to the point of breaking the game. I guess that's semi-acceptable with pure free 2 play games, but I put down 90 bucks to play the game. So really - fuck you EA/Bioware.

I'll never get tired of repeating that phrase in the context of ME3's mystery boxes. One last time. Fuck you EA/Bioware!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1-With the DLC they put out it turned from awful to ok. Although that really doesn't excuse the original ending it's at least better than nothing.

2-The citadel DLC was some of the best mass effect content they ever made so, as far as I'm concerned, it's a good enough apology.

3-Their original ambition for the franchise was somewhat fulfilled and that's quite impressive when you think about it.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Ruiner

Ending wasn't the problem. The disappointing game that it was attached to was the problem...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@krullban said:

I think we've talked about it enough.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Jeust

Taking in consideration the plot depth, the ending is justifiable. Either Shepard kills all the Reapers, or decides to take control of them, or fuses every living being with technology. In a hundred or thousand years, there is no way of knowing how effective the options would be or the best to defend humanity and life. So the ending is justifiable considering the plot scope.

The ending per se is short, and gives a little information about what happened to some main characters, dismissing the secondary characters and even the races plights. It's serviceable, and anti-climatic to such a long and varied journey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I thought endings blue and red were perfectly fine, but the ending was rushed in the original and better in the extended cut.

Ending Green though. Beyond retarded.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I forgave it halfway through ME1, where the story became a giant cliche, then again in ME2, when they threw the RPG into the garbage along with the two best characters in the series, then again in ME3, where I just didn't care at all about single player. Oh well, multiplayer continues to be really sweet.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because I wasn't that invested in the Mass Effect story or characters anyway. Shepard is a boring character because he's designed to be an empty shell. All the other were forgettable too.

Maybe I just don't like Mass Effect.

I don't like Mass Effect.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still haven't played it. I'll admit the backlash against it turned me off of it at the time and I just haven't gone back yet. At this point, I can't imagine I'll care about it when I do, though.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JNeam

Did I enjoy the ending? Not really. Did I have a blast getting there? You bet.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Deadlydog

I thought it was not that bad, I mean its not great but how else are you going to end a series like that?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By Hunter5024

@believer258 said:

I made a sandwich.

No, really, I finished the game and went to make a sandwich. Bad and unsatisfying ending? Yeah, but it's not going to ruin my life.

What kind of sandwich was it? This is important.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

I made a sandwich.

No, really, I finished the game and went to make a sandwich. Bad and unsatisfying ending? Yeah, but it's not going to ruin my life.

What kind of sandwich was it? This is important.

I just ate another Game Boy /obscure age-old joke.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#79 gamer_152  Moderator

I guess as this is bumped again, I'll say I don't think it's a case of me "forgiving" the ending. Whatever Bioware do with their other games and content, the quality of that ending is going to remain as it is, nothing's going to change it. But, on the brighter side, I'm also not going to just treat this as some huge betrayal on Bioware's part or refrain from playing whatever else they're going to make because I didn't like how Mass Effect 3 ended.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioware steals fans idea and make Shepard indoctrinated, then I would forgive it, "star child" is a rather broken idea.

Indoctrination was the original storyline, and the Starchild a hallucination.

It's documented in the "Final Hours of Mass Effect 3" they scrapped indoctrination at the last moment, then ran out of time to make a decent ending.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME3 ending was the biggest record scratch moment in my gaming life.

Up till that point I was in it. I loved the combat, loved the scenery and loved the lore. But after the light beam nothing made any sense.

Perhaps its a failure on my part, but I had no idea about the repercussions of each of the choices, or really how they fit with the Paragon/Renegade system. The "good" choice was labelled as the bad one and vice versa. In the end I went with the "green" option, as that required the most galactic readiness.

Confused by the outcome I reloaded my save and completed each of the three endings. I then discovered how little they had bothered to flesh out the epilogues and that left me in a very disappointed state.

My favourite game series of all time had come to an end. But I all I could think was "What the fuck?!".

The DLC's patched the wound somewhat, but it will never take away the original depressing feeling.

I used to be a Bioware fanboy, but DA2 and ME3 has me reading (many) reviews before doing next purchase from them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.