Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Could the events Mass Effect have taken place in the past?!

• 67 results
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

What if in ME3, the Reapers win, clean out the galaxy once again and what we're playing through now is actually 50,000 years ago, not in our near future? 

Chew over THAT ONE?!

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thejamster

a long time ago in a galaxy thats totally our own?

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NakAttack
    @thejamster said:
    " a long time ago in a galaxy thats totally our own? "
    beat me to it
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatking

I was actually throwing that possibility in my mind.  The odds of the being the case make it seem silly and I feel like that'd be a cop out *gasp* moment that I think the Bioware guys are smarter than.
    NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NakAttack

A better gasp moment that has been stewing in my head, is that the tech used to bring back Shepard was salvaged tech from Sovereign. Making Shepard part reaper.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DRE7777

No no no, the only possibility is that the reapers are actually advanced droids created to serve a reborn Darth Vader II who is actually Luke Skywalker......................no.........................okay fine.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DRE7777

No but seriously, I hope they keep using the Mass Effect universe after the next game because I have a feeling that by the end of the third it will become my favorite science fiction universe.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By applet0n
    @nk19: You just exploded my mind. Congratulations.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @DRE7777 said:
    " No but seriously, I hope they keep using the Mass Effect universe after the next game because I have a feeling that by the end of the third it will become my favorite science fiction universe. "
    This. I really want to see another game maybe 100 years after ME3 that isn't so much about the epic storyline but lets you explore the universe and see what effect Shepard's actions had on the galaxy.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By gosukiller
    @Cheapoz said:

" What if in ME3, the Reapers win, clean out the galaxy once again and what we're playing through now is actually 50,000 years ago, not in our near future?  Chew over THAT ONE?! "

Battlestar Galactica chewed on it, and I hated it (the ending, not the series).
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

No, this is not possible. Mass Effect takes place in the 2180's, and they explicitly mention people and events that happened in real life in the past. Everything that has ever happened in our reality has occurred in the world of Mass Effect, with the exception of Mass Effect and any references to Mass Effect.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

I have wondered this question myself. It could be any different timespan, far into the future or far behind. If it was, it just goes to show that we always develop along the exact same paths... it just goes to show that what Sovereign said in the first game is true - we "develop along the paths we (The Reapers) desire." 

But then if that were true all the races would be different... difference in races comes from extremely small differences in things like the climate and geological make of their homeworld - I doubt that in another timeline there would be another race that would basically just be the same as the previous race that inhabited the planets. In the time that it would take for humans to develop as a species from the biological bacteria we started out as, the conditions for life would probably have changed on the planet we call Earth and the species that becomes developed there in the next timeline would be different because of it.  

I love talking about nerdy stuff like that :P

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn
    @Vito_Raliffe said:

"No, this is not possible. Mass Effect takes place in the 2180's, and they explicitly mention people and events that happened in real life in the past. Everything that has ever happened in our reality has occurred in the world of Mass Effect, with the exception of Mass Effect and any references to Mass Effect. "

For example there is a China, a United States, and a continent named Europe, all of these things could have easily changed if Humans had developed after a previous human race was destroyed. Would the American Revolution occur twice?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

The game gives you a year and specific timeline that references events that have happened in our time, so no.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demyx

Maybe Mass Effect is only our story, and in the end we ourselves in the real world are whats left of humanity and the reapers are waiting for us to find the Citadel!

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By felixlighter

We know it didn't happen 50,000 years ago because humans have been around much longer than that.  Humans hadn't advanced far enough technologically to use the Mass Relays back then, so the Reapers ignored them the last time they came around.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Garrus

If the timeline was more vague it is possible you could interepret it as such but in any case, it's possible it could do a whole assassin's creed 2 on us, where we're humanity developing from the ruins of a previous human race. That we have the christian calendar added to it though like 2151 or whatever year it is for humans, means it's unlikely but still.

Though I have given it thought, no matter how many times your race regenerates itself, no matter how many times it survives certain extinction...that doesn't change logic in any sense, throwing a rock on a planet with gravity usually means without sufficient force to outbeat gravity, it will fall eventually and its possible that all the previous humanities have found ranged weapons and kinetic barriers to be the pinnacle of self protection for the user, that most of the time against biological threats of our own shape and size often bullets work best as opposed to other forms of weapon using other forms of energy.

Just again, if the human Christian timeline wasn't implemented you could maybe argue that case better.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By majormitch

Well, seeing as they specifically mention years (Mass Effect 1 starts in year 2183 AD), as well as many very specific details from our own history (Ashley directly quoting Lord Tennyson for example), I'm pretty sure they intend for these games to take place in the future.

Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Jimmy775
    @HatKing said:

" I was actually throwing that possibility in my mind.  The odds of the being the case make it seem silly and I feel like that'd be a cop out *gasp* moment that I think the Bioware guys are smarter than. "

We Fought a
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MajorMitch said:
    " Well, seeing as they specifically mention years (Mass Effect 1 starts in year 2183 AD), as well as many very specific details from our own history (Ashley directly quoting Lord Tennyson for example), I'm pretty sure they intend for these games to take place in the future. "
    This. there are too many links to our culture for it to be in the past.
    JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Yes, could have.
    But no, because the fiction and codex states otherwise. As mentioned before bioware has already detailed it greatly, with earth discovering the first mass relay and prothean technologies etc.

Would have been one hell of a mindfuck though. A nice prequel would be to play during the age of the protheans. Or as the race BEFORE the protheans. Or as yourself being a young Turian agent after they first discovered the citadel, or had the first contact war.

Man this universe is fucking rich in fiction, they have to make more games beyond ME3.

Mass Effect: The Skyllian Blitz
    Mass Effect: Adventures of the Asari

To name but a few ubergeneric titles.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45

No. And this would be a stupid twist.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Psych0Penguin

If they use the AD years (not sure if they do) then it would mean that history would repeat itself almost exactly the same (or have a messiah like Jesus replacement) which would seem unlikely since events are all random and for history to blah blah blah blah ..... but I have wondered that in the past.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax

That's a ridiculous suggestion. The game explicitly says the date which is in the 2100's. Hell, your ship is called the Normandy after the battle of Normandy in WW2. That was not 50,000 years ago

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By AgentJ

I think it's more likely that Avatar is a sequel to "The Matrix"

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin

How would Sir Isaac Newton be the toughest son of a bitch in the galaxy then?

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrFidget

Are you trying to tell me this didn't happen? 

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AndrooD2

However much I find the idea intriguing, the fact that the Cerberus network screen mentioned that Super Bowl 200-and-something was being played kind of nixes the concept.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DRE7777
    @raidingkvatch said:
    " @DRE7777 said:
    " No but seriously, I hope they keep using the Mass Effect universe after the next game because I have a feeling that by the end of the third it will become my favorite science fiction universe. "
    This. I really want to see another game maybe 100 years after ME3 that isn't so much about the epic storyline but lets you explore the universe and see what effect Shepard's actions had on the galaxy. "
    Yeah, thats what I mean. Like I dont want them to go back and somehow ruin Mass Effect like, idk, some particular movie prequels. But I want them to keep making games in that universe with those alien races and stuff because they have developed a really interesting and fun universe to play in.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @DRE7777: It shouldn't even be too difficult in terms of importing all your ME saves (unless you can make things go hugely wrong in ME3) because you'd only really need all the stuff you've done that changed the galaxy e.g. whether there are still Rachni, if Wrex died on Virmire the Krogan might be extinct etc. all the minor personal things wouldn't need to be bothered with cuz Shepard, as well of many of his crew-mates would be long dead (obviously Asari and Krogan live a lot longer)
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Cheapoz: That's basically the secret truth behind Superman and Krypton in Superman: Red Son.
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @HatKing: I 100% agree
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By withateethuh

That would be the worst plot twist possible in such a well-crafted universe.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cheapoz

Year counting it pointless. We've only done that for what the last 2000 years? 

If we do follow the same paths than the humans from 50,000 years ago could've counted years exactly the same.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By JB16

The Reapers wiped out the Dinosaurs!!!!! it all makes sense now.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By spacetrucking

There is a side quest in ME1 that reveals how the Protheans were watching the evolution of the early man. Stuff like this makes me wish the Mako was still part of ME2.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bulletstorm

I forgot how awkward reading that text was - considering how important that seems to the Prothean mythos. Kind of reads like fanfic. 

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeetThePyro

It all takes place in Assassins Creed 2

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Once again, they mention specific poets, Hiroshima and more. This is not even debatable.

Scalptre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scalptre
    @MeetThePyro: Yes but while were in the Animus our REAL bodies are in the Martix... double VR for the win!
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Garrus
    @Scalptre: While that's happening, aliens are actually playing pool with our universe which is really a cue ball for their giant pool table.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

Well human culture still prevails. Like that Sushi chef in the Citadel. 

Also the SSV Normandy y'know... might have something to do with our history. 

Just a guess though =p

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pause422

No they couldn't of. Don't get Battlestar Galactica on me.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Azteck

See it like this. How big are the chances that humans exist every time? And how big are the chances that we look identical every time?

I'd say very very slim. And seeing as they look like humans, I'd say they'd have to live in the future.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cheapoz

Anyone who's seen Watchmen can understand the concept of a cataclysmic worldwide event (Dr Manhattan/Reapers) in a world that still follows the same path as our own.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shadow

Then them being from earth makes no sense because the early humans were already there.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By haggis

One of my (disproved) theories while playing ME1 through the first time was that the Reapers would wind up being ... humans. At least humans of some sort, with technology that had been lost. And that humans had been put down 50,000 years in the past, and that Shepard would have to choose between ending the cycle, or taking up the role of humans as conquerors once again. That fell apart pretty quickly once the mid-game hit, but it still struck me as an interesting idea. However, the idea of this all being in Earth's distant past seems unlikely given how much history we're given in-game. It's very clearly tied to humanity 200 years *from now*, give or take a few decades.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#48  Edited By sarahsdad
    @nk19: I like the idea that all the tech is tied back to the Reapers. 
    This could be used in an interesting way, if they want to show Shepard or someone realizing that all the actions of the past game were being subtly guided by the Reaper to make the galaxy more susceptible to take-over. 
    It could also be a good excuse if they want to re-boot Shepard's powers "Sorry Shepard, all those abilities were using reaper tech, we had to dig them out."
    jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jdquach
    @nk19 said:
    " A better gasp moment that has been stewing in my head, is that the tech used to bring back Shepard was salvaged tech from Sovereign. Making Shepard part reaper. "
    That would be one of the most amazing plot twists ever. You win.
    thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thejamster

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.