Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

The Official MvC3 FAQ Thread

• 112 results
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Rhaknar

I believe it´s officially 

L M H 
    E A1 A2 

at least for the default configuration. The one you mention is in the game too i think, but not default
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @hencook: Well, anyone can customize their layout how they please, but I thought I had seen that the... 

L  M   H 
    E  A1 A2 

...was the official one being used by those who've played the game.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#53  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @hencook: Nope, it's been this:
    L  M  H
    E A1 A2
    pretty much forever.  That's the default at least, although there will be an "MvC2" toggle to change it to something closer to what you've suggested.  I've only had a chance to try it with the default controls but they worked great and I don't anticipate using the MvC2 scheme or any custom scheme for that matter.
    CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By CanadianBaconX
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " I'm fine with changing it to LMH. I just don't want to see none of that "number pad to demonstrate directions" garbage. "
    THANK YOU! I'm not the only one who hates that.
    hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By hencook
    @CanadianBaconX said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" I'm fine with changing it to LMH. I just don't want to see none of that "number pad to demonstrate directions" garbage. "

THANK YOU! I'm not the only one who hates that. "

"Tekken" numpad nomenclature, while confusing to process, is simple, more accurate, and necessary for a game like Tekken.
    While most capcom movements are simplified to quarter circle forward and this is fine to say qcf+p... In tekken you'd have to do different motions like hold down forward. Did I say hold down, and then go forward, or hold down and forward at the same time? In tekken, you'd just say hold 3. (or 33)

Capcom games could benefit from the numpad system. When a noob reads "tk" or "srk" motion, it's not so easy to understand as 2369 or 623, and it can also help more precise movements, like Cammy's instant cannon strike is 2149K. That's five characters to explain how to do it, now you try to explain it in your way.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @hencook
    @CanadianBaconX said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

"Tekken" numpad nomenclature, while confusing to process, is simple, more accurate, and necessary for a game like Tekken.
    While most capcom movements are simplified to quarter circle forward and this is fine to say qcf+p... In tekken you'd have to do different motions like hold down forward. Did I say hold down, and then go forward, or hold down and forward at the same time? In tekken, you'd just say hold 3. (or 33)

Capcom games could benefit from the numpad system. When a noob reads "tk" or "srk" motion, it's not so easy to understand as 2369 or 623, and it can also help more precise movements, like Cammy's instant cannon strike is 2149K. That's five characters to explain how to do it, now you try to explain it in your way.

Hold 3=Hold DF
    TK=D,DF,F,UF
    SRK=F,D,DF
    Cammy=D,DB,B,UF+K

There, did it. You're right, that was so difficult and hard to understand.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Rhaknar

not to be a prick but this is the first time ive ever seen anyone describe fighting move motions with numbers :O 

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By hencook
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " @hencook
    @CanadianBaconX said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

Hold 3=Hold DF TK=D,DF,F,UF SRK=F,D,DF Cammy=D,DB,B,UF+K There, did it. You're right, that was so difficult and hard to understand. "
    Er, honestly I meant to say try to explain it out loud, (saying down, down forward, forward except without commas IRL), but you've corrected me once in this thread already so gg
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @hencook: If you're talking out loud, which is easier to say: 236 or "dragon punch"? For me, it'd be "dragon punch". The same can be applied to most of the other common moves as well. In specific cases such as 2149, it could be easier to say it with the numpad vocab. instead of the actual directions, but I'm not sure I'd ever want say a bunch of numbers to indicate how to perform a move.
    hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By hencook

lol you know I'd probably do the same, sorry this is an argument over something very small but honestly I just wanted to defend the numpad nomenclature from people that just won't try to adapt to it. I play both 2d and 3d equally, I don't have any hate for the capcom way, just love all around.

Still, it's somewhat intriguing that a whole section of the fighting game community will stick to the numpad to explain things.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Rhaknar
    @hencook said:
    " lol you know I'd probably do the same, sorry this is an argument over something very small but honestly I just wanted to defend the numpad nomenclature from people that just won't try to adapt to it. I play both 2d and 3d equally, I don't have any hate for the capcom way, just love all around.Still, it's somewhat intriguing that a whole section of the fighting game community will stick to the numpad to explain things. "
    what section of the community uses numbers? Pc gamers or something? again, im not trying to be a smartass, i honestly never heard this >_<
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @hencook Then you probably shouldn't use the phrase "when a noob reads" then immediately challenge us to "try to explain it in [our] way." It might mislead us to think you're talking about reading rather than listening.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Rhaknar Numbers as a way of notation joystick movements is popular among 3D fighters like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtual Fighter. It probably became more popular because in those games, neutral position is an actual command that needs to be notated. It's also sometimes used for 2D fighters that rely on a lot of single directional input commands like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. I've never been a fan of it myself having grown up on Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Rhaknar
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " @Rhaknar Numbers as a way of notation joystick movements is popular among 3D fighters like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtual Fighter. It probably became more popular because in those games, neutral position is an actual command that needs to be notated. It's also sometimes used for 2D fighters that rely on a lot of single directional input commands like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. I've never been a fan of it myself having grown up on Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. "
    that would explain it, I dont really play 3d fighters
    rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By rbysjti

Finally, thanks for making this thread.",)

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Pessh
    @MooseyMcMan: Just found out you hold assist to change characters with the proper control scheme too

@FluxWaveZ said:

" Thanks a lot for this, this thread is/will be very helpful! I've got a question; if I get this straight, one of the more basic combos would be the following: A>B>C>E>SJ>A>B>C>E>A>B>C>E>A>B>C>Hyper Combo. Is that right? And if so, just for the sake of clarification, the player can only tag characters twice after a launch?  I'm also finding it very difficult trying to determine what the criteria for my team's selection should be. For SFIV, I easily chose who to main based solely on the character himself and if his personality and looks appealed to me, but for this second fighting game I intend to play competitively, it'll be hard to choose characters based on my personal preferences because of matters like having to deal with a team of 3 and team dynamics. "

That's pretty much right but as Rhaknar said its E+direction, thats my bad, and A>B>C>E doesn't work for everyone, some characters you'll have to drop the B, or maybe the C, but it will never be C>B>E>A. And I think you're right about the two aerial exchanges per combo.

Team building sucks, big subject. Just pick a dude you like to be your pointman. Then pick two more you like for second and third and just fuck around with it, if you're getting raped by jump ins swap the second for someone with an AA assist and just keep refining.

@Rhaknar: Yep neutral E knocks down, just didn't want to confuse people.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AURON570

this is great! ok so I got a question, how hard is the execution compared to SSF4? I just get scared whenever I see "super jump". Are the A>B>C>E like chain combos? Also how exactly do you tag or use your character's assists (like what buttons/motion)? Is triangle-jump basically like Rufus' dive kick, except in MvC3 it is usually always an overhead?

Basically, I wanna know how the execution is, since I never played MvC2. =S

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Pessh
    @AURON570: The magic series makes things easier, its not all one frame stuff like in SF. Super jumping is easy, all you have to do is A>B>E of whatever, then hold up and you'll automatically superjump into the air with them.

You have to assist buttons, A1 and A2, pressing calls in an assist, holding them tags in new partner but you don't really want to be naked tagging like that. 

It's a little similar, but you have dash down forward, its not like Rufus where you press down forward kick and it brings you down.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 6 buttons on my stick. Is this enough? Please tell me this is enough.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: Yes.

Light
    Medium
     Heavy
    Exchange
    Assist 1
     Assist 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:
    " @GetEveryone: Yes.

Light
    Medium
     Heavy
    Exchange
    Assist 1
     Assist 2
    "
    Sick as fuck. Thanks, man. Day 1 casuals, ahoy!
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rhaknar

i thought you had a TE Get.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By gosukiller
    @Rhaknar: I suspect that GE, like me, took out 2 buttons so to not become lax with PPP and KKK inputs.  
    At least that's what I did to mine. If a 8-button game comes along I'll just put in the buttons again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar:
    Yeah, but I modded it a while back and finally finished it recently. Took away the first two buttons and rewired it so that the last 6 buttons are  

SQUARE    TRIANGLE   R1 

X                  O                    R2 

It works for SF, but it's cut back my options on other fighting games :O
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Rhaknar

thought so. the extra buttons never bothered me for some reason... fuck me, i must be so rusty with the stick its not even funny. you still playing Bison? gimme some matches to see how rusty i am lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar:
    I play him infrequently. Sometimes I'll select him for fun, but I'm basically back to maining Ken again :) Trying to get him to a high-standard, but it's hard with all the bad habits I've got. 

Definitely up for games, though. I'll be on tonight I think. Portugal is GMT, right? 
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Rhaknar
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Rhaknar: I play him infrequently. Sometimes I'll select him for fun, but I'm basically back to maining Ken again :) Trying to get him to a high-standard, but it's hard with all the bad habits I've got.  Definitely up for games, though. I'll be on tonight I think. Portugal is GMT, right?  "
    same as UK aye. And Ken? wtf dude :P What time on?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was my original main in vanilla and at the start of Super. Ken is too sick not to play; had to go back to him :P 

I'll be on at 8ish, I think. Depends on when/if I go to the gym. Just hit me up with a message whenever you see me online. 

/thread derail.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Rhaknar

thread derailed indeed, sorry Pesh >_>

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#80  Edited By hansolol

There are three levels of X-Factor, the potency depends on the number of characters you have left.

Characters Remaining
    LengthBoosts
     3 10 Seconds
    Minor buffs to speed and damage
     2 20 Seconds
    -
     1 30 Seconds
    Greatest buffs to speed and damage

I don't believe this is the case. I think the potency depends on the amount of total life left for the entire team. This makes sense considering that it would suck if all 3 of your characters were alive at like 20% health and you were only getting a lvl 1 x-factor.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Pessh
    @Hansolol said:
    "

There are three levels of X-Factor, the potency depends on the number of characters you have left.

Characters Remaining
    LengthBoosts
     3 10 Seconds
     2 20 Seconds
    -
     1 30 Seconds

I don't believe this is the case. I think the potency depends on the amount of total life left for the entire team. This makes sense considering that it would suck if all 3 of your characters were alive at like 20% health and you were only getting a lvl 1 x-factor.

"
    Nah it's definitely characters, anyone who's played the game and paid attention will tell you that. Some people said collective life and it's been going back and forth but it's been confirmed in the last few days that its characters remaining.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Hansolol said:
    "

Characters Remaining
    LengthBoosts
     3 10 Seconds
     2 20 Seconds
    -
     1 30 Seconds

"
    no. it depends on how many characters you have. its been stated many many times
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Pessh

Major Update

-Stamina of all 36 characters 
    -Every assist for 30 characters, type and special properties described
    -OTG and other terminology
    -Variable counters 
    -Advancing guard 
    -Added neutral/directional E differences in air

I tried sticking everything in spoilers under headings, make it a bit more presentable and easier to find things but think it looks worse. Any thoughts?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:

"Major Update
    Every assist for 30 characters, type and special properties described  

Any thoughts? "

Yes. 

I'm going to plagiarise it and stick it in the Assists thread I made. 

Edit: Seriously, though, P. You've made a great effort with the thread and it totally pays off. I had no idea about anything to do with Marvel before reading the OP, now I feel a lot less lost.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ricetopher

This thread is fine, better than trying to make a guide on this site's horribly broken guide feature.

Speaking of guides, apparently theres a print MvC3 guide thats like 400 pages and one of the major contributers was Buktooth. I may have to consider this guide.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: Lol thanks dude. Think it was more of a hype outlet than anything else but glad some people are finding it helpful.

@ricetopher: Yeah meant to be real good. All the frame data, extensive shit on combos and playstyles for each character. Heard it's like 12 bucks on amazon too, not available in Europe though, what a bag of dicks.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By StarvingGamer

Fuck, Sentinel still has a stupid amount of life? He actually has more life than 3 Phoenixes lolol

FUCK SENTINEL FUCKING FUCK

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ricetopher

So this just in, Dark Phoenix's normals do chip damage.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ricetopher: Is it her normals? Or the fireballs that fly out of her normals?
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ricetopher

@StarvingGamer: Could be the projectiles, but essentially DP is like MvC2 Sentinel. Point being if you block her normals point blank you'll be taking chip damage.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ricetopher: Mmmm, I need to see just how fast her TK Shot is in DPh mode. Fuck I know I said she was worthless about a billion times but I may have to eat my foot with mustard.

Ugh also gross humorist in me needs to say that fighting MvC2 Sentinel is indeed like experiencing DP.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By AURON570

alright i got a question: How important is it to have a "balanced" team? Like what does it mean to have a balanced team? I'm guessing it is mainly health differences, play style, assists.. I'm asking because in something like SSF4, you can pretty much pick whatever character is best for your style. I guess I'm asking, how does character selection affect/influence overall team selection. 

Like if you were to tell a person who is new to tag-team fighting games how to pick a decent team what would you say?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @AURON570: First of all, pick characters that you think would be fun to play. Pick a point character that you want to learn and matches your playstyle, then build a team of characters you like that compliments your point character.

When picking your second character you're going to want an assist that helps your main character do what they do best. If you're playing rushdown this might be an assist that allows you to easily extend combos, hit OTG or set up unblockable situations. If you're playing keepaway this might be an assist that allows you to cover your angles like a strong projectile. Also consider whether you want to have a character that plays the same style as your point character or a character that plays differently.

Finally when picking your third character, you're going to want an assist that covers your weaknesses. If you're lacking in anti-air then you can look for a strong anti-air assist (AAA). Keep in mind that this is likely going to be your last character standing. It will be helpful if you pick a character that can fight reasonably well without assists and finds the use of X-Factor particularly beneficial.

Also as far as a "balanced" team is concerned, this typically refers to a team that can perform reasonably well both rushdown and keepaway, with strong assists to cover most situations. For example, my team I'm going to try and get good with first is going to be Taskmaster(α)/Trish(γ)/Hulk(β) which will allow me to play a more balanced, reactive style. A team consisting of Zero(γ)/Wesker(β)/Dante(β), however, is going to end up being more rushdown focused.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By demontium
    @Pessh: You put 'KFC' i think you meant 'XFC' haha.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pessh

Nope, KFC is correct

No Caption Provided
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#96  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @Pessh: You put 'KFC' i think you meant 'XFC' haha. "
    KFC is the correct terminology. The community has already accepted this as a whole, since it's easier to say than "XFC," and sounds a lot more tasty.
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By MikeFightNight

As someone who was never into MVC2 but loves Street Fighter I find this guide very helpful.  Thanks Pessh!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    KFC is the correct terminology. The community has already accepted this as a whole, since it's easier to say than "XFC," and sounds a lot more tasty. "
    what does the K mean?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @demontium said:
    " what does the K mean? "
    Nothing. The acronym makes no sense, but that's how it is, I guess.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#100  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @demontium said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    KFC is the correct terminology. The community has already accepted this as a whole, since it's easier to say than "XFC," and sounds a lot more tasty. "
    what does the K mean? "
    Kentucky. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.