Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 24, 2000

One of the most legendary crossover fighting game series is thrown into high gear with a whopping 56-character roster and new three-on-three tag-team gameplay.

So how is the online?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Is there 4 player lobbies winner stays/quarter match style like DOA/HD Remix? Or is it just 2 player like Street Fighter IV? How's the overall quality of the online?

I wasn't too impressed with Street Fighter IV's online, and I feel that pretty much no one mentioned it enough in reviews. Online play is very important in fighting games today to me. So before I spend $15, how's the online hold up for MvC2? (since that's the only reason I would get it)

Thanks for any help.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

I've only tried ranked so far, obviously theres no kinda lobbies there. 

Gameplay seems ok, character select screen is ridiculously laggy for some reason. But imo online is a nice bonus but not really the core of a fighting game, you have to adapt certain strategies for online because even a small amount of lack changes the game significantly. SFIV for example Kens jab shoryuken is much more powerful than it is offline because it's recovery time is so small it becomes masked by lag, essentially meaning he can spam it all day and theres very little you can do to counter it besides knocking him to the floor. If you wait to land the combo and punish him properly, the lag makes you miss the small window of opportunity you have, and you eat another shoryuken.

I'd imagine it's much the same here, but i'm not knowledgable enough in MvC2 to know how it would effect gameplay (not specifically anyway, the above example would apply to any fighter, basicly anything you have a small window of opportunity to perform, kiss that tactic goodbye)

All I do know however is i'm getting my ass handed to me over and over again. The small amount of wins i've managed to accumulate have only been because Dr. Doom is so fucking horrendously overpowered lol. Normally I don't play characters like him very well, but it seems you can gain a lot of ground with him for almost nothing. I mean, I understand how important the concept of controlling space is to fighters, but this guy takes the cake. He literally controls the whole screen, doesn't do much damage but he's constantly chipping away, and knocks people out of their super attacks with his projectiles.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gambit

it has up to 6 person lobbies in player matches so thats awesome.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jNerd

I have experienced absolutley NO LAG in-game. Character select can be jerky for some random ass reason though.

Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kumo

I've played quite a few matches (30 or so) and I haven't seen any lag yet. My friend in Hawaii said he had 2 matches lag out of the 40-50 matches he's played, so things are looking pretty good so far.

airwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By airwolf
    @Kumo:

No Lag either. Just lots of retired MvC2 players dusting off their joy sticks.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought it. Online is pretty good. You can have 6 players in a room winner stays style.

sithy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sithy

Ive had 6 players disconnect on me after about 10 of my wins. Those 6 werent credited of course, looks like the same problem Jeff mentionned for the online mode of UFC. People are disconnecting RIGHT AFTER THE MATCH END. The screen says.. 1up Wins... PLAYER A DISCONNECTED. register it faster for god sakes. Really makes me rethink my purchase.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jkz

I can't play the damn game....but no lag!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By metal_mills

In short: The best online you'll find on a console. A part from it being insane difficult and packed with people who do moves I can't even fluke let alone master.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By sickVisionz

In the player match you can have 6 people in one lobby and you can watch fights.  It's pretty fun.  The only bad thing is that I don't think wins count until you get back to the lobby.  There's like 8 seconds of nothing where people can disconnect on you.

But i've only had that happen when I'm not in a huge group of people.  The online is pretty solid imo.  Alot better than SF4 where I can never ever get into a match unless I play arcade mode or do invites.

The range of competition is pretty good.  You've got people who've been playing since the dreamcast version and are impossible to beat but you've also got alot of folk who are more casual about the game and are fun to fight.  The craziness factor of the game makes it fun even if you lose... unless it's like this one match where a guy caught the opponent in a Gambit uppercut loop for like 10 seconds.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @sickVisionz:

Better than than being caught for 100% Magneto or some of the crazy infinites, or by insane teleporting whatshername. The Horror o_o

Anyways for the most part, i've seen a heck of a lot of DC'ers today, in fact almost every win people have DC'ed at the last moment. Fortunately most of them have counted as wins when I check my rankings. Getting close to 50 now, gonna push for 100 and then stop worrying about achieves and go for player matches with crazy teams. Last thing I need is even more fucktards messaging me stupid shit after I stomp them. And i'm fucking terrible at MvC2 lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.