Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario

Character » appears in 310 games

Originally a carpenter named Jumpman, this Italian plumber has gone on to become the most recognizable video game character of them all, starring in a veritable pantheon of titles like kart racing and sports. He has been voiced by Charles Martinet for nearly 20 years.

Super Mario 64 vs. Super Mario Galaxy

Flynntanamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Flynntanamo

What game was better Super Mario 64, the oruganl 3-D Mario adventure, or Super Mario Galaxay, thr best 3-D game since Super Mario 64 was?  I can't decide which is better because I really like both.  Both of them have so many worlds to play through and great items for Mario it is so hard to decide...

Flynntanamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Flynntanamo

What game was better Super Mario 64, the oruganl 3-D Mario adventure, or Super Mario Galaxay, thr best 3-D game since Super Mario 64 was?  I can't decide which is better because I really like both.  Both of them have so many worlds to play through and great items for Mario it is so hard to decide...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Galaxy.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I enjoyed Galaxy more.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gameboi

When Mario 64 came out, it blew my mind with its greatness. It was truly revolutionary at the time. It's probably not a fair comparison, considering the time lapse between the two, but Galaxy upped the ante -- and did it well.  Galaxy takes the cake.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By FengShuiGod

Galaxy is easily the better game, but I don't think that it will retain the sense of nostalgia for me that SM64 does.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Super Mario 64. Galaxy was far too linear and felt like it lost a lot of charm that 64 and Sunshine had. Not to mention the soundtrack for Galaxy was meh.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Super Mario 64. Galaxy was far too linear and felt like it lost a lot of charm that 64 and Sunshine had. Not to mention the soundtrack for Galaxy was meh."
    Well, I don't know about you but I thought the soundtrack for Galaxy was spectacular.  The mood and charm the music had really impacted my feelings for the game.  Thus, I feel that Galaxy is the best GAME of the two, though I have creepily fond feelings for Super Mario 64 as well. God only knows how many times I have played that one. Still, Galaxy is an excellently made game that is still the only great game on Wii yet (with Brawl being "good" and the RE4 port being amazing, but just a port).
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both for me, both a incredible games, tho Sunshine was the one I didn't like very much. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Super Mario 64. Galaxy was far too linear and felt like it lost a lot of charm that 64 and Sunshine had. Not to mention the soundtrack for Galaxy was meh."
    Well, I don't know about you but I thought the soundtrack for Galaxy was spectacular.  The mood and charm the music had really impacted my feelings for the game.  Thus, I feel that Galaxy is the best GAME of the two, though I have creepily fond feelings for Super Mario 64 as well. God only knows how many times I have played that one. Still, Galaxy is an excellently made game that is still the only great game on Wii yet (with Brawl being "good" and the RE4 port being amazing, but just a port)."
    With Super Mario 64, I could probably hum that entire soundtrack from start to finish pitch perfectly. With SMG, I have had that OST on my iPod since before I even got the game and the only tunes I remmeber are Gusty Garden Galaxy and Good Egg Galaxy. Yeah, it is a great game, but when I finished it, that was it, I was kind of done with it but Mario 64 I can keep playing and playing.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

SuperMooseman said:
    "For me, Mario Galaxy. Although Mario 64 was a big leap into 3D, I really loved the platforming in Galaxy."
    Yea thats how I feel
    Galaxy was amazing and nailed 3 D platforming, while I think that 64 more just hit the idea well enough that at the time it seemed incredible, which it still is, i just prefer Galaxy.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By dsplayer1010

Galaxy

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Balls

Umm.. yeah when you ask a question like this just imagine both games sitting for $50 at a store. Which one would you buy? Duh, Galaxy.

stripclubdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By stripclubdj

mario galaxy but 64

mariomaster12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By mariomaster12

Mario 64 is more revolutonery the galaxy but galaxy is a better game.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Super Mario 64 was an excellent game at the time, and it still stands up extremely well today, but galaxy takes the core awesomeness of 64, and brings it into the current generation.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

I can't honestly pick between the two of them.  Mario 64 is classic and I know it forward and backward.  The levels are all well-built and memorable.  The bitch about the game is the camera.  Granted, it was early in 3D platforming, so that issue was still being worked out.  However, it was troublesome then, and it's troublesome now.  I wonder how some places ever gave it a 10.

Meanwhile, Galaxy is a game that I haven't played nearly as much as 64, but it's still an excellent platformer.  The level designs are just brilliant, and it really makes you have to think because the levels mess with your head a little bit.  Things, again, are quite memorable, and the graphics are gorgeous in it.  The only problem is that...well...I kind of wish that the hub world had more going on for it...and that the game wasn't so quick to get to the end of.

Let's all be honest, though.  They need to release a new Luigi's Mansion on the Wii!!!  Kiddy Castlevania: SOTN FTW!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "I can't honestly pick between the two of them.  Mario 64 is classic and I know it forward and backward.  The levels are all well-built and memorable.  The bitch about the game is the camera.  Granted, it was early in 3D platforming, so that issue was still being worked out.  However, it was troublesome then, and it's troublesome now.  I wonder how some places ever gave it a 10.

Meanwhile, Galaxy is a game that I haven't played nearly as much as 64, but it's still an excellent platformer.  The level designs are just brilliant, and it really makes you have to think because the levels mess with your head a little bit.  Things, again, are quite memorable, and the graphics are gorgeous in it.  The only problem is that...well...I kind of wish that the hub world had more going on for it...and that the game wasn't so quick to get to the end of.

Let's all be honest, though.  They need to release a new Luigi's Mansion on the Wii!!!  Kiddy Castlevania: SOTN FTW!!!
    "
    What? SOTN? Luigi's Mansion?

EXPLAIN!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "I can't honestly pick between the two of them.  Mario 64 is classic and I know it forward and backward.  The levels are all well-built and memorable.  The bitch about the game is the camera.  Granted, it was early in 3D platforming, so that issue was still being worked out.  However, it was troublesome then, and it's troublesome now.  I wonder how some places ever gave it a 10.

Let's all be honest, though.  They need to release a new Luigi's Mansion on the Wii!!!  Kiddy Castlevania: SOTN FTW!!!"
    What? SOTN? Luigi's Mansion?

EXPLAIN!"
    Dood, seriously?

2D castle vs. 2D mansion?
    Multiple rooms on multiple stories vs multiple rooms on multiple stories?
    Monsters vs. monsters?

Seriously...Luigi's Mansion was a simplified version of SOTN...and it was still fucking awesome!!!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snail

Dude, Mario 64 all the way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Super Mario 64. I'll be honest, I'm not even a big fan of it, but Super Mario Galaxy has got to be the most overrated game I've ever played. It was mediocre in nearly every aspect. Even the gameplay was flawed. I even finished the whole game and don't think I will ever understand why people praise it so much. I see so many problems with the game, and so many bad design choices. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I certainly can't even call it "good". At least I had some fun with Super Mario 64 and can appreciation how groundbreaking it was for the industry. I can't say much good about Galaxy. Since I'm sure so many of you already disagree with what I've just said, I'm gonna pour some more gas on this fire. Honestly, I think Super Mario Sunshine is a better game than both. Oh, I am serious. Though, don't get me wrong, I have criticisms of that game as well.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gormers

Galaxy was easily a better game, but I enjoyed mario 64 more. I think galaxy was a bit easy and linear for me. And I wanted to collect all the stars right away, which made the game sort of a drag to play.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dalai

Super Mario 64, but that's nostalgia talking.  Galaxy is still a fantastic game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105

Mario 64 had more polish than Mario Galaxy. For example, in Mario 64, Mario and the analog stick controlled wonderfully. However, in Galaxy, it isn't as responsive.

But the music, the worlds, and the sheer sense of wonder that Galaxy delivers is far superior.

Troynice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Troynice

How come nobody has noticed... Mario is NOT an astronaut! lol Mario 64 is waayyyyy better considering the times they we both released. Mario 64 still had the "Mario" feel to it. Mario galaxy is like Mario, Sonic, Toy Story and some made up junk put together. I Hope Nintendo does make another Mario, but back to its roots, More like Mario 64, not flying through space and jumping upside down. Galaxy just doesnt make too much sense. Nintendo could have used the "Space" idea for a whole new game series, but Not Mario.

ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZeroGravX

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.