Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

I feel this game got a raw deal

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Duke_of_IRL

I just finished Mafia II, and I went back and watched Brad and Ryan's quicklook of it where Brad just seemed to rattle off his list of grievances. Looking back, they were kind of stupid points. A major complaint was a lack of things to do. Aside from the infamous Playboy collectibles (50 of em), 149 wanted posters and selling cars to Bruski, yeah I guess that's true. But what about LA Noire, which Brad creamed all over himself for? Aside from discovering landmarks (which just involves driving around) and the 40 street crimes (which all boil down to the same handful of scenarios), there wasn't much to do on the side there either. Like Mafia II it was extremely story-centric, as on-rails as this game is. Another "complaint" was that going around the city and mindlessly killing didn't feel right given Vito's character, but couldn't that also be said for GTA4? Niko didn't seem the type to cause wanton destruction and commit genocide, yet that wasn't raised against the game as a negative. Same for Red Dead Redemption. In GTA3 mindless killing worked because the main character, Claude, had zero depth to him and was entirely silent. With the evolution of this genre, nearly any wanton destruction won't really fit with the story as playable characters are given depth, opinions, emotion, etc.

Mafia II is very story-centric, and I felt the story was a good one. Not very original, but, to return to comparisons with other well-reviewed games in the genre, neither was LA Noire or GTA4. All of these games take blatantly from other media sources such as film. Another knock against it was "yeah for missions you sort of just follow the red line." What about the other games I've already mentioned? If you wanna strip down the gameplay to its foundation the same could be said for any of the other games that exist in the realm of Mafia II.

I get that reviews are opinions and everyone's entitled to one, but I really just don't understand the dislike or just sheer apathy towards this title. I felt it played well, told a good (though not original) story, and most importantly it was fun. What gives?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

That deal was undercooked.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

@Duke_of_IRL said:

Another "complaint" was that going around the city and mindlessly killing didn't feel right given Vito's character, but couldn't that also be said for GTA4? Niko didn't seem the type to cause wanton destruction and commit genocide, yet that wasn't raised against the game as a negative. Same for Red Dead Redemption.

They have pointed out this problem with both GTA4 and Red Dead numerous times in the past, its just the rest of the game was good enough to justify it not being that big of a deal. I guess that isn't the case with Mafia 2.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta

No it got it's just deal

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I enjoyed Mafia 2, I thought it had a really good story.  But nothing that really compares with GTA IV or RDR, which just have a whole lot of content that really keeps them going once you're finished with the story.  Mafia 2 didn't really have anything except for the main story.  No side missions and exploring wasn't any fun (although the city was beautiful and the jump from the 40's to the 50's was very dramatic).  

I do think Vito was a much more believable character than Niko, they both had flimsy reasons for doing what they were doing, but Vito was a bit more of a prick, in that he didn't want to do backbreaking labour and was just looking for an easy way out, where as Niko spends the whole time whining about how he's doing the wrong thing.. then proceeds to murder hundreds of people seconds later.  (John Marston at least had a reason for returning to his life of crime, and being set in that time period made it more believable anyway). 

It's a shame though, I think a lot of people would have enjoyed Mafia II a lot more if it weren't for the harsh reviews.  It's definitely worth playing for anyone who likes these type of games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

I loved Mafia 2 and played thorugh it twice. I never finished GTA IV and have no intention to.

Just throwin that out there.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I quite liked Mafia 2, especially when it was very story driven. Like when you came back from the war, or when you were sent off to jail and so on. The open world aspect was meh at best, that's for sure. But so was the first Mafia, so I didn't go into the game expecting anything grand when it came to that. Though the last hour of the game felt a bit rushed and there was little that impressed me, aside from the rather emotional mission where you send regards on behalf of Don Salieri.

With that said, I enjoyed the first Mafia a lot more. The story of Tommy Angelo was more interesting than the one of Vito.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Some people still think open world has to mean sandbox. Those people are wrong, but there it is.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrangryface

Agree 100%

Noir gets a lot of press because omg faces so real but at the end of the day its really not much of a game- id even go so far as to suggest the police quest games had more actual gameplay. At any rate Mafia II + DLC = Awesome Win Would Mafia Again

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Duke_of_IRL

Just to clarify, I'm not saying this game is better or worse than GTA4, RDR or LA Noire by bringing them up, merely that they all share similar traits for which Mafia II got knocked but those games did not (at least from what I've seen).

With Mafia II I viewed the open world as more of a way to deeply immerse the player in the world, once again similarly to LA Noire. There's definitely two distinct open-world-game camps: games where the story is the focus, and games where the environment itself is the focus, and this is definitely the former. A good example of the latter would be Just Cause 2 or Red Faction Guerilla. I'd say GTA4 and RDR sit towards the story side, but lean more over to the environment side as well. Not exactly directly in the middle as the stories are definitely the main attractions, but their worlds were meant to be explored fully with a bunch of optional stuff to do within.

I dunno, I still just don't really understand the attitude toward Mafia II. If you dig open world games which are story focused this is definitely a good entry into that genre.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OldGuy

The main (only?) difference twixt LAN and M2 (and these are both specifically mentioned in either the review or the quicklook or both for LAN) is that in LAN you can 1) fast travel if you don't want to drive everywhere and 2) when a story mission ends you do not have to drive BACK to a pickup point to get the next mission to start, the timeline moves forward and BOOM there you are. 

You may not think that this is a big thing, but for - apparently - most people it was. Hell, I drove 1000 miles in the M2 (and I didn't use the rubberband/tape/drive in circles on the docks cheat either - just listened to all the content on all the radio stations, twice, each), so I'm not one to talk.

Also the fact that LAN boasts, for the most part, a completely different game mechanic and so the expectations of a sandbox enviornment are lessened. Though there are a vocal minority of reviewers and players who have complained that the city has that same "empty" feeling that M2 did.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brad

Your argument might have some merit if Mafia II let you skip the driving between missions like LA Noire, but it doesn't. The driving is both required, and boring. You already decided that's a "stupid" distinction to make, though, so let's not belabor this point anymore.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By Danteveli

Thats true With LA Noire I didnt feel there was open world I just used fast travel and did the cases. If Mafia was like that I would enjoy it more.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlexW00d

@Brad said:

belabor

First time I have ever seen this word. I dunno why though because what an awesome word it is.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OldGuy
    @AlexW00d said:

@Brad said:

belabor

First time I have ever seen this word. I dunno why though because what an awesome word it is.

That's why Brad writes for a living... He knows how to pull out the good vocabulary words. :-)
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Vexed

If your main point is that L.A. Noire got a 5/5 despite having the same flaws in the open world aspect, it's worth noting that L.A. Noire was a new experience whereas Mafia II was just a straight GTA clone.  That said, I think Mafia II was a fine game and L.A. Noire is quite overrated.

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Duke_of_IRL
    @Brad said:

Your argument might have some merit if Mafia II let you skip the driving between missions like LA Noire, but it doesn't. The driving is both required, and boring. You already decided that's a "stupid" distinction to make, though, so let's not belabor this point anymore.

I felt the driving around helped with immersion big time, though it did at times become a pain in the ass. But as your coworker himself pointed out in the video, one of the things that made the original game notable was the strictness of the police, who'd get on your case for going above the speed limit. If they had done as you said, allowing you to skip directly to missions instead of driving, then I'm sure the game would've taken knocks in reviews for leaving out what was a vital component of the original. In a sea of mobster and open-world games, the more true-to-life police behavior was what helped set Mafia apart to begin with. It would've been more convenient, and I'm assuming you would've liked the game a bit more, but it doesn't really make sense for them to do something like that. Especially when they clearly invested a LOT of time into the city. They clearly spent a lot of time on the city in LAN as well, but by the end of the game I felt pretty disconnected from it as I had only driven to chase people or when I was otherwise forced. I felt a great deal more connected to M2's Empire City when all was said and done.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phish09

You liked it, some other people did too and some people didn't.  Who cares?  Ain't gonna stop this crazy world a-spinning. 

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Duke_of_IRL
    @Vexed said:
    If your main point is that L.A. Noire got a 5/5 despite having the same flaws in the open world aspect, it's worth noting that L.A. Noire was a new experience whereas Mafia II was just a straight GTA clone.  That said, I think Mafia II was a fine game and L.A. Noire is quite overrated.
    I see your point, though I wouldn't say LAN was a totally new experience -- it was a combination of things we've seen before in a way we haven't seen before. The interviewing was great and original (in that it was interactive and you didn't just click a line of dialogue and hope for success), but otherwise it was basically a detective-themed point and click adventure game, except played from the third person in an open world setting. Then you had a little third person gunplay peppered in.

I'm not trying to knock LAN; it was at times redundant, but it was really entertaining overall. I could care less about scores really, I just felt it was odd M2 was disliked so much for being a good product.
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexed
    @Duke_of_IRL said:
    I could care less about scores really, I just felt it was odd M2 was disliked so much for being a good product.
    I totally agree.  I had played Mafia II without reading any reviews and whatnot and thought it was quite good.  Then I heard Jeff take a jab at it during a Bombcast that made me go "Wait, people didn't like Mafia II?  What the hell?"
    mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrangryface

Well people can have their filthy LA Noir.

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Duke_of_IRL
    @Vexed said:
    @Duke_of_IRL said:
    I could care less about scores really, I just felt it was odd M2 was disliked so much for being a good product.
    I totally agree.  I had played Mafia II without reading any reviews and whatnot and thought it was quite good.  Then I heard Jeff take a jab at it during a Bombcast that made me go "Wait, people didn't like Mafia II?  What the hell?"
    I had a really similar experience. I played through the game in only a few sittings, got real into it, hit the ending and then became curious to see what others thought. Once I saw the poor and mediocre scores from various sites I was pretty confused, prompting this thread.

I'm not sure if Brad is still paying attention to this thread, but I didn't intend to try to wage war with you or anything. We all have different tastes and opinions. I'm appreciative that you took the time to respond to this thread.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By emergency

I actually finished mafia 2, but didn't finish GTA. It's a solid game, with a decent atmosphere and I quite like Vito. He's a cool guy. The shooting felt adequately different aswell and pretty cool.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Masha2932

For me the open world in mafia 2 served as a way to create an atmosphere around the events happening in the game. 

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlasherMan

I absolutely adored Mafia 2, and in many ways, I found it to be superior to GTA 4. The storytelling and atmosphere there is unmatched by any other open world game that I know of (the recent LA Noire not included).
    I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, simply because I've been hearing all the negative things people were saying. I couldn't care less about side stuff, those things always bore me to death anyway, and I never bother doing them. I'd rather have a shorter, concentrated and fun experience than have a longer, diluted one filled with mundane tasks.

And that ending... Seriously bummed me out.

It also looked fantastic on PC and ran great. One of the prettiest open world games I've laid eyes on. 

I don't know, I'm just hoping there are still plans for another Mafia. Be a shame if this didn't do well enough for us to get another one.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brians
    @Brad: Agreed.
    Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Duke_of_IRL
    @Masha2932 said:

For me the open world in mafia 2 served as a way to create an atmosphere around the events happening in the game. 

Exactly. This point is really well illustrated by the part where
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winger

Mafia 2 to me a few of my close friends who also played the game agree it has one of the best stories this generation of games. 

The characters are extremely likable and believable, and the plot twists are unexpected and leave you wanting to play more. I finished the game in two sittings on hard difficulty. 12 hours. 

Thinking about it makes me want to see a Mafia 3 and find out what happend to the characters I liked so much, they all seemed human, all mistakes had huge consequences (at one point you go to prison for a few years, or your best friend presumably gets killed in the cliffhanger ending.) Great game, honestly fucked up how low it got rated, especially gametrailers giving kane and lynch 2 a better score. FUCK THEM. 

Hope it sold well to say the least, it was worth every penny I paid at full price and the 15 dollars in the recent sales people spent was robbery for the amount of talent put in to that game.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSully

I just felt mafia was really thin when it came to gameplay and some of its characters, and that eventually got to me. I stopped playing the game about 3 hours from finish. I got the exact same feeling near the end of LA Noire when you switched characters. Needless to say I was dissapointed with both games, but more so with mafia. I was atleast able to finish LA Noire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mafia 2 was quite good but the police needed more lines that's for sure.I enjoyed the missions for the most part just wish the game was longer and there was fast travel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.