Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Peanut Butter iMac Time!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Edited By Hizang

Wow, I can't even, I'm still in that really happy and shocked state of mind that people usually get when they have a new console or they won a competition, I have a fucking iMac! For those of you following me you will know that I have gone through a lot of trouble to get this machine, I will not go into to much detail (For that just go and read some of my old blogs) but yeah I have an iMac! I went back to the Apple Store and just bought one, I paid £500 and my dad paid £499. So all I have to pay is £500 more when I get my next pay check (End of August) and then I will have no more debt and the iMac will be 100% mine. Sure I will only have about £400 spending money to get me through the month but I assure you it's worth it.

Even as I am writing this blog there are already a handful of things that the iMac is making better, for one thing my previous laptop could not run the new editor. I really do like the new editor and it makes it a lot easier to make paragraphs. Another thing my stupid old laptop couldn't do on Giant Bomb was spell checking, members off the site have often criticised me for not using spell check, well now I can at last be accepted into the Giant Bomb community. The site and overall internet seems to be running slightly faster as well, I've only been using the iMac for about an hour or so and I'm using the default browser Safari. I heard people complaining about it but I see no problems with it so far, I may change it down the line but for now it does the job.

The keyboard is a huge step up than my previous laptops, there was no spaces in the keys in the laptop where as here there is a small space which means less typing in letters that I don't want. They also feel hard and strong, the laptops were soft and flimsy. It may seem odd to some that I am excited over a Keyboard, but when you go from a cheap laptop to a keyboard that sells for like £40 you notice the difference. The mouse on the other hand will take some getting use to, it's not that I don't like it, it's just different. I used to have a Logitech RX 250 if that means anything to you, it was a standard mouse an did the job. Apple's Magic Mouse as its called, although stylish, was quite hard to use at first. I had to up the speed of the scrolling as soon as it booted, and I even had to resort to the Finger Tips to know how to right click!

This being my first Mac it's the first time I've had experience with any of the cool app things at the bottom, FaceTime, PhotoBooth, iPhoto, iMove and Garage Band all seem pretty cool. I don't think I'll be using much of them at first but hopefully I can get back into making videos again, I used to do it a lot but my laptop did not have any video software that would run on it, so I had to cease. I have not checked out the App Store yet but you can bet I'll be downloading Plants VS Zombies! I also picked up The Sims 3 and a bunch of expansions for it, thats the first thing I will be doing after I update iTunes.

So yeah I don't know what else to say really, except that I have just noticed that I can type at almost double the speed than I could with my laptop. If it interests you at all I got the 21 Inch Model, I was going to go with the 27 but I really didn't need it. ok enough blogging more gawping in awe!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hizang

Wow, I can't even, I'm still in that really happy and shocked state of mind that people usually get when they have a new console or they won a competition, I have a fucking iMac! For those of you following me you will know that I have gone through a lot of trouble to get this machine, I will not go into to much detail (For that just go and read some of my old blogs) but yeah I have an iMac! I went back to the Apple Store and just bought one, I paid £500 and my dad paid £499. So all I have to pay is £500 more when I get my next pay check (End of August) and then I will have no more debt and the iMac will be 100% mine. Sure I will only have about £400 spending money to get me through the month but I assure you it's worth it.

Even as I am writing this blog there are already a handful of things that the iMac is making better, for one thing my previous laptop could not run the new editor. I really do like the new editor and it makes it a lot easier to make paragraphs. Another thing my stupid old laptop couldn't do on Giant Bomb was spell checking, members off the site have often criticised me for not using spell check, well now I can at last be accepted into the Giant Bomb community. The site and overall internet seems to be running slightly faster as well, I've only been using the iMac for about an hour or so and I'm using the default browser Safari. I heard people complaining about it but I see no problems with it so far, I may change it down the line but for now it does the job.

The keyboard is a huge step up than my previous laptops, there was no spaces in the keys in the laptop where as here there is a small space which means less typing in letters that I don't want. They also feel hard and strong, the laptops were soft and flimsy. It may seem odd to some that I am excited over a Keyboard, but when you go from a cheap laptop to a keyboard that sells for like £40 you notice the difference. The mouse on the other hand will take some getting use to, it's not that I don't like it, it's just different. I used to have a Logitech RX 250 if that means anything to you, it was a standard mouse an did the job. Apple's Magic Mouse as its called, although stylish, was quite hard to use at first. I had to up the speed of the scrolling as soon as it booted, and I even had to resort to the Finger Tips to know how to right click!

This being my first Mac it's the first time I've had experience with any of the cool app things at the bottom, FaceTime, PhotoBooth, iPhoto, iMove and Garage Band all seem pretty cool. I don't think I'll be using much of them at first but hopefully I can get back into making videos again, I used to do it a lot but my laptop did not have any video software that would run on it, so I had to cease. I have not checked out the App Store yet but you can bet I'll be downloading Plants VS Zombies! I also picked up The Sims 3 and a bunch of expansions for it, thats the first thing I will be doing after I update iTunes.

So yeah I don't know what else to say really, except that I have just noticed that I can type at almost double the speed than I could with my laptop. If it interests you at all I got the 21 Inch Model, I was going to go with the 27 but I really didn't need it. ok enough blogging more gawping in awe!

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Akrid

What is this new editor I keep hearing about? 

I would recommend investing in a magic mouse. The mighty is awful.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hizang

@Akrid said:

What is this new editor I keep hearing about? I would recommend investing in a magic mouse. The mighty is awful.

The new editor is for premium members only, plus I might have the magic mouse, whats the difference?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akrid
    @Hizang said:

@Akrid said:

What is this new editor I keep hearing about? I would recommend investing in a magic mouse. The mighty is awful.

The new editor is for premium members only, plus I might have the magic mouse, whats the difference?

The magic mouse is touch and has a bunch of gestural features. It looks like this:   

No Caption Provided
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hizang

@Akrid said:

@Hizang said:

@Akrid said:

The magic mouse is touch and has a bunch of gestural features. It looks like this:
    No Caption Provided

Thats what I have, my mistake :P

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

The site always had a spell-check. It was just a case of using a browser that had spell-check, I guess. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome and virtually everything else I've tried has included a spell-checker. Except for Internet Explorer, though IE9 allows you to add it in. Congratulations on your purchase though.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By 71Ranchero

You are pretty damn excited to have gotten an iMac. 

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ckeats

Do you have Lion yet? Also fuck the app store, Steam has mostly the same and more mac games and for usually cheaper.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hizang

@xMP44x said:

The site always had a spell-check. It was just a case of using a browser that had spell-check, I guess. Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome and virtually everything else I've tried has included a spell-checker. Except for Internet Explorer, though IE9 allows you to add it in. Congratulations on your purchase though.

I used internet explorer on my old Laptop.@kud12001 said:

Do you have Lion yet? Also fuck the app store, Steam has mostly the same and more mac games and for usually cheaper.

I looked through both and both were pretty slim, Steam hardly has any games but I do admit it has the games that I want. (Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Puzzle Agent.) The App store has got some great ones to (Angry Birds, Plants VS Zombies, Age of Zombies), and I tell you from playing those games on a small iPhone to a iMac is pretty cool!

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ckeats

@Hizang: Out of the 84 games I bought during the summer sale, 56 of them are mac compatible. I'm pretty sure I have almost everything thats worth getting for mac in steam.

But Boot camp should get the rest of your gaming needs on it. The iMac is no slouch in the games department,

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hizang

@kud12001 said:

@Hizang: Out of the 84 games I bought during the summer sale, 56 of them are mac compatible. I'm pretty sure I have almost everything thats worth getting for mac in steam.

But Boot camp should get the rest of your gaming needs on it. The iMac is no slouch in the games department,

The thing is not a lot of those games appealed to me, I don't want like games on PC that are on consoles. Give me some Sims 3, Plants VS Zombies, DONE!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

Lots of people will tell you that macs suck, but I will not. I happen to think they are beautiful machines and I would love to have one myself. Lucky bastard.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By xMP44x
    @Hizang said:

I used internet explorer on my old Laptop.

That would be why you couldn't get a spell-check on the site. For some obscure reason Microsoft chose against including a spell-checker in Internet Explorer, and it's only with IE9 that they've seen fit to let you get addons and extensions for the browser easily. If you find yourself using Windows again in the future, Speckie will be the spell-check you need. Personally I use a variety of different browsers. My first post in this thread came from the latest Nightly 8.0a1 build of Firefox, and this post is coming from a pre-release version of Opera 12.00, codenamed Opera Next. I use a variety of different browsers because then I can pick up on compatibility issues. Opera is probably the best browser for features but it lacks some wiki compatibility, displaying some parts of the wiki weirdly.

Enjoy your iMac by the way. I'd love to grab Helvetica and Helvetica Neue from OS X (they're two fonts) but my experience with OS X has told me they're .dfont, meaning they need to be converted, which is quite a bit of hassle.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hizang

Just spent a while playing The Sims 3, I enjoyed it from what I saw, it's The Sims alright. I'm going to install the Steam App now and maybe try Team Fortress 2.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By fripplebubby

Eh, the only Apple product that's ever really enticed me are those 27 inch Cinema displays. Those things are beautiful and kick out more resolution than just about anything else. Enjoy your Mac, I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.