Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

iMac or Macbook?

• 57 results
    Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jeaz

@Stonyman65 said:

if you are using it for games, get a windows machine. Macs are bad for gaming, even with emulation and steam. The drivers just aren't there.

always go with a desktop too, if you are taking it with you then I would say laptop, but since you said you never take it out of the house then what is the point?

Drivers? dude, do you know what you are talking about...

The problem lies within the APIs. OSX obviously don't have DirectX which most games are programmed to work with. OpenGL, OpenAL and so on aren't really that much worse than DirectX but just lack support from developers. Games that are programmed genuinely for Mac, like Starcraft 2, and not ported, runs really well.

At OP: If you are serious about gaming on your Mac an iMac is the only real option. MacBooks aren't made for gaming.

Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jeaz

@Amilmitt said:

Get a PC you'll always get more for your money.
    My $700 PC laptop has equivilant hardware as the 17" macbook pro.
    This picture proves how overpriced apple hardware is.
    http://www.randompics.net/wp-content/main/2010_08/1282847851602.jpg i dont care if their supports better or what ever you say, i get fine support with my computer and im able to do more than you can with a mac. Typing this while i get annoyed at our schools mac computers.

You comparing a workstation Mac to your plastic PC laptop?

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Amilmitt
    @Jeaz said:

@Amilmitt said:

Get a PC you'll always get more for your money.
    My $700 PC laptop has equivilant hardware as the 17" macbook pro.
    This picture proves how overpriced apple hardware is.
    http://www.randompics.net/wp-content/main/2010_08/1282847851602.jpg i dont care if their supports better or what ever you say, i get fine support with my computer and im able to do more than you can with a mac. Typing this while i get annoyed at our schools mac computers.

You comparing a workstation Mac to your plastic PC laptop?

Im sorry but my laptop is encased in aluminum.
    also i use this thing with two monitors to do my 3D modeling in Maya.

my laptop is equivilent to the $3000 macbook.
    The "workstation" mac is horribly overpriced. my roommate bought a brand new computer that has better specs than the base setup at half the price.
    Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Jeaz

Sure, you do realize that the image you linked to referring to more than a year old model, not accurate to how they are right now? But I do admit to that even current models are a bit out of date, but rumor has it they will be refreshed this or next week.

And don't hyphen the workstation, it's a market segment that the Mac Pro is competing in. Look over at Dell or HP and you'll see the same term, and similar prices. Workstations aren't meant for private customers, hence the Xeon processors and on. That said, you might have a point about workstations being overpriced, but it's not something that's unique to Apple.

And finally, I struggle to believe that you got a $700 dollar 17" inch fully metal casing laptop, with a Core i7, 8GB RAM and a solid state drive, which is what I have to crank up a Macbook Pro to get your $3000 price tag. If you did, well, good for you then.

Look, I'm not saying that Apple products are cheap, they're not. But I wouldn't say they are overpriced either. If you want just cheap, then no, Apple is not for you. But if you want a well packaged product, with quality components, long battery life (for notebooks) and nice designs plus running a safe and powerful OS, then Apple is hard to beat. You just can't compare Apples and oranges :-)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Hizang

I'm still waiting for my iMac to arrive from Apple, they said 3-7 days and this is the forth day if they count sunday, I'm going mad overhere lol.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Dany

@Hizang said:

I'm still waiting for my iMac to arrive from Apple, they said 3-7 days and this is the forth day if they count sunday, I'm going mad overhere lol.

Which imac did you get?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Hizang
    @Dany said:

@Hizang said:

Which imac did you get?

I ended up going with the 21 inch because the 27 Inch would not fit under my desk lol, plus for what I want to do I dont need the 27.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Dany

When they sold the 24 inch imac, we got those for the house but realized that the desk was way too small, good for something like a 17" crt (this was back in 2005 or 2006) and we kinda stalled to get a new desk so a 24" imac was sitting on the kitchen table, :p the weirdest sight to see.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SuperCycle

Earlier this year I bought a 21inch Imac and I love it.  I don't really use it for gaming though. 
    I'm glad you ended up getting the 21 inch because I've heard that the 27 inch heats up a lot and makes a lot of noise. I'm not sure if it's actually true or not, but my 21 inch is very quiet and leaving it on for weeks on end doesn't really slow the computer down or heat it up at all.
    I hope you enjoy your purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.