Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Help me choose an HDD for my new MBP!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

So I finally settled on a new computer and I got all the specs figured out except for the HDD. Currently I'm stuck between two: a 128GB SSD and a 256GB one. Normally I'd go with the bigger one but it's $360 more and that's a lot of coin. However I plan to dual boot with Win7 and Lion and I assume that means I'll have to partition the HDD and I'm not sure the smaller one will cut it. I don't plan on keeping much else on it except for programs and a couple of games and I have plenty of external HDD's for music/movies but I also don't want to constantly worry if I have enough space. My current HDD is 320GB and only about half full.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Surkov

The extra coin isn't worth it. SSDs will get cheaper, faster and bigger in the future, so I would't invest in a big SSD just yet. The SSD I would recommend(if you have a 2011 MBP) is a Vertex 3 120GB.  

If you have a an older one I would recommend an Intel 320 or a Vertex 2.  

Also, do you really need to dual-boot? 

Edit: I think I may have read it wrong, are you buying from Apple? In that case, go for the 128gb option I guess.  

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

Yup, I'm ordering it next week. And dual booting is the main reason why I chose a MBP so, yes, it's rather important to me. Anyone with Bootcamp experience know how big the partitions have to be?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.