Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

Company »

LucasArts was founded by George Lucas in 1982 and had a hand in the release of over 125 games on almost all platforms until it was closed by its recent purchaser, Disney, in 2013.

New 'Old' LucasArts Game Anyone?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

NEW 'OLD' LUCASARTS GAME ANYONE?

Welcome to my Blog folks,

So as some of you might have heard, LucasArts are to announce a new title in an existing franchise this coming monday. If you hadn't then please check out Kotaku's article on the matter of which I shall be discussing. It's somewhat important to remember that LucasArts aren't all about bright glowing swords and throwing people about with the power of ones mind. They have a number of exciting franchises that are beloved by fans around the world, from the simply wonderful Grim Fandango to the truly underappreciated (in my opinion) Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise. Of course we can't forget to mention Star Wars, as that universe in itself consists of many different franchises that have variations in all of gamings genres. 
    For a second there, I dreamt of Knights of the Old Republic 3.

So what is this amazing news that LucasArts have promised, well it all originated from the LucasArts twitter account and the LucasArts representative controlling the feed who seemed very excited about the whole affair. Now today I've been catching up on everything Star Wars: The Old Republic, so it was with some shock that I venture onto Kotaku.com to see the article headline and a nice pleasant picture of a diseased-like Sith. So I suddenly jumped to the stunning conclusion that LucasArts were set to unveil Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3. I actually partly blame Kotaku for helping me jump to this conclusion as the actual twitter feed and article directly discuss this announcement to be based around an 'old' LucasArts franchise rather then a rather more recent one (and anyway, the picture is actually concept art from the recently cancelled Battlefront 3). So sadly I admitted to myself that the chance of it being Kotor 3 are small, and I cry a little inside. But seriously speaking, it could still be exciting news indeed. 

Everyone will have their seperate views on what this new 'old' LucasArts game could be, but while it won't be the game I dearly dream of. It could still be a title that gets me rather excited, say a brand new Grim Fandango or the return of another classic LucasArts adventure title. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a new Grim Fandango, the original was so great that a sequel would probably only do harm to the image of the classic PC game of the late 90's. Though I know of a few folk personally who would scream at the news of a new Grim Fandango game. We already know that there are a few new Monkey Island games in development so I think they are out of the question, what about some new 'Maniac Mansion' rework like what's currently being done with Monkey Island. 

Grim Fandango 2 could also be a possibility!
    There's a whole selection of games this announcement could relate to, a possible new Roque Squadron game or Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game. In fact I'd quite like a new Jedi Knight game, though the recent Star Wars: The Force Unleashed might have filled in that gap a little. It's worth mentioning other tweets from the LucasArts feed aswell, as it seems clear that it's one of the older franchises we are talking about here. The LucasArts representative also states in one tweet 'I hope I don't disappoint. I know this is something I was asking for since before I worked at LucasArts' which seems to hint at it being one of the older franchises in LucasArts locker. We'll find out on Monday what this new and exciting announcement will be and I'm sure a lot of you will be discussing what potentially it could be. I've spoke in past blogs of my wish for a new Knights of the Old Republic single player game and although I might have to wait a few more years, I honestly believe we'll eventually see one. 

But for now, we'll wait and see what LucasArts have in store. I'm sure there are many of you who fell in love with the LucasArts name back in the golden days of the point and click adventure genre and hope for a possible new rethinking of a classic franchise. In fact that's what I think it'll be, afterall there doing it with the popular Monkey Island games and there's already a good amount of hype for those new installments. There's a chance it'll be Star Wars related, though I can't rule out the possibility of iit being a Grim Fandango sequel, still not sure how I feel about that afterall. But we'll find out and maybe I'll discuss it at a later date. But for now, have a great Sunday afternoon. Oh and sorry for this being a day late but Happy Independance Day to my good friends from over the sea!

What do you want this new 'old' LucasArts game announcement to be?

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

NEW 'OLD' LUCASARTS GAME ANYONE?

Welcome to my Blog folks,

So as some of you might have heard, LucasArts are to announce a new title in an existing franchise this coming monday. If you hadn't then please check out Kotaku's article on the matter of which I shall be discussing. It's somewhat important to remember that LucasArts aren't all about bright glowing swords and throwing people about with the power of ones mind. They have a number of exciting franchises that are beloved by fans around the world, from the simply wonderful Grim Fandango to the truly underappreciated (in my opinion) Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise. Of course we can't forget to mention Star Wars, as that universe in itself consists of many different franchises that have variations in all of gamings genres. 

So what is this amazing news that LucasArts have promised, well it all originated from the LucasArts twitter account and the LucasArts representative controlling the feed who seemed very excited about the whole affair. Now today I've been catching up on everything Star Wars: The Old Republic, so it was with some shock that I venture onto Kotaku.com to see the article headline and a nice pleasant picture of a diseased-like Sith. So I suddenly jumped to the stunning conclusion that LucasArts were set to unveil Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3. I actually partly blame Kotaku for helping me jump to this conclusion as the actual twitter feed and article directly discuss this announcement to be based around an 'old' LucasArts franchise rather then a rather more recent one (and anyway, the picture is actually concept art from the recently cancelled Battlefront 3). So sadly I admitted to myself that the chance of it being Kotor 3 are small, and I cry a little inside. But seriously speaking, it could still be exciting news indeed. 

Everyone will have their seperate views on what this new 'old' LucasArts game could be, but while it won't be the game I dearly dream of. It could still be a title that gets me rather excited, say a brand new Grim Fandango or the return of another classic LucasArts adventure title. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a new Grim Fandango, the original was so great that a sequel would probably only do harm to the image of the classic PC game of the late 90's. Though I know of a few folk personally who would scream at the news of a new Grim Fandango game. We already know that there are a few new Monkey Island games in development so I think they are out of the question, what about some new 'Maniac Mansion' rework like what's currently being done with Monkey Island. 

There's a whole selection of games this announcement could relate to, a possible new Roque Squadron game or Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game. In fact I'd quite like a new Jedi Knight game, though the recent Star Wars: The Force Unleashed might have filled in that gap a little. It's worth mentioning other tweets from the LucasArts feed aswell, as it seems clear that it's one of the older franchises we are talking about here. The LucasArts representative also states in one tweet 'I hope I don't disappoint. I know this is something I was asking for since before I worked at LucasArts' which seems to hint at it being one of the older franchises in LucasArts locker. We'll find out on Monday what this new and exciting announcement will be and I'm sure a lot of you will be discussing what potentially it could be. I've spoke in past blogs of my wish for a new Knights of the Old Republic single player game and although I might have to wait a few more years, I honestly believe we'll eventually see one. 

But for now, we'll wait and see what LucasArts have in store. I'm sure there are many of you who fell in love with the LucasArts name back in the golden days of the point and click adventure genre and hope for a possible new rethinking of a classic franchise. In fact that's what I think it'll be, afterall there doing it with the popular Monkey Island games and there's already a good amount of hype for those new installments. There's a chance it'll be Star Wars related, though I can't rule out the possibility of iit being a Grim Fandango sequel, still not sure how I feel about that afterall. But we'll find out and maybe I'll discuss it at a later date. But for now, have a great Sunday afternoon. Oh and sorry for this being a day late but Happy Independance Day to my good friends from over the sea!

What do you want this new 'old' LucasArts game announcement to be?

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

Please god be a new Jedi Knight game

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cc23574

It doesn't matter,as long as it's something Star wars related I'm happy.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I doubt it'll be a classic adventure game. With Monkey Island Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island, they are testing out the commercial viability of adventure games, so I can't see them doing another one until they've seen how these sell. So what does that leave? Star Wars.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By mracoon

The Jedi Knight franchise was such a great series of games and much better then Force Unleashed. I would love to see them returning to that or KOTOR.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By PowerSerj

I will shit my pants if its a new Battlefront. Anything else, meh :/

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60
    @mracoon said:
    " The Jedi Knight franchise was such a great series of games and much better then Force Unleashed. I would love to see them returning to that or KOTOR. "
    It wont be KOTOR, I'm pretty sure they said the next KOTOR is The Old Republic MMO. I really do hope it is the Jedi Knight franchise though.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

No Caption Provided
    Remake this game. Now.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Too bad it's not going to be KotOR 3, because I could care less about The Old Republic (Not a MMO fan). How about a new Tie Fighter? That game fills the criteria of being old and commercially viable. And if not that, I would like to see what a new Jedi Knight game would be like.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeadMan
    @cc23574:

What if its a Star Wars racing game or Wii fit: Star Wars edition.....lol
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cc23574
    @DeadMan said:
    "@cc23574: What if its a Star Wars racing game or Wii fit: Star Wars edition.....lol"

I would still buy it.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

They better not touch Grim Fandango, it's one of my all times favourites, if they were to do another, I'd have to play it, and I can't see it ever being better than 1, also didn't they make Full Throttle, I could do with another one of those.

Star Wars, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast 3.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CowMuffins

I have a feeling it's Battlefront. Which isn't a surprise, because we've already SEEN it. It just...got canceled.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
    I want a new Tie Fighter damn it!

A new Maniac Mansion with as many endings and different solutions as the first would be good too.

A new FPS with the depth and atmosphere of Dark Forces would be alright too.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By vidiot

"I hope I don't disappoint. I know this is something I was asking for since before I worked at LucasArts'"

We won't know until tomorrow.
    But, while we are all speculating, If you actually take the time to read the..."tweets"...(*sigh*...twitter...)... The more likelihood of anything to do with Star Wars becomes less and less. Granted we haven't been given a lot, but when an employee comes out and says that this is something that he has been asking for since "before I worked at LucasArts", that it will be, quote: "awesome news for old school fans", and the new resurgence of interest regarding going back into the old LucasArts adventure library.

I will be incredibly surprised if tomorrows announcement has anything Star Wars related.
    BattleFront and Knights of The Old Republic are franchises that do not qualify to be "old school", for a company that was founded in 1982.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By damswedon

i hope it will be republic commando 2

Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Mootalstrike

Any new Old republic game would be great.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeadMan
    @cc23574:

Then you must be a really be a big fan of Star Wars.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By jkz

New Jedi Knight game would finally re-kindle my interest in Star Wars games. The old ones were the only games I feel ever captured the movie's epic lightsaber battle-scenes, and the atmosphere in the first two was great. Please lucasarts...please

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cc23574
    @DeadMan said:
    "@cc23574: Then you must be a really be a big fan of Star Wars."

I am!
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By zameer

played a fair bit of the secret of monkey island remake and it's tastefully done. i'm confident now that they'll make an awesome grim fandango remake if they so choose, or at the very least not butcher it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Willy105

X-Wing please.

People need to remember Star Wars IS NOT about lightsabers and knights. It's about SPACE BATTLES!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187

CONFIRMED:  It's gonna be a Cooking Mama rip-off for the Wii.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105
    @jakob187 said:
    " CONFIRMED:  It's gonna be a Cooking Mama rip-off for the Wii. "
    I don't get it.
    retwakm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By retwakm

KOTOR 3 !!!! those were truly amazing games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.