Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

Company »

LucasArts was founded by George Lucas in 1982 and had a hand in the release of over 125 games on almost all platforms until it was closed by its recent purchaser, Disney, in 2013.

LucasArts Officially Shuttered by Disney

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

Goodbye to ever seeing a Grim Fandango re-release. Goodbye to seeing anything Monkey Island ever again. LucasArts have been ignoring their back catalogue for years, but this cements the deal. Disney are just going to sit on the IPs and do nothing with them... forever. :(

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By Missacre

@axlefgk said:

you literally just need to make a new battlefront game, it doesn't even have to be good. just kinda pretty and be on pc (not the psp god damn it). if its even equal to the other games in quality it will do well. it can't be that hard...

Fuck Battlefront. I want a new Podracer game, also a new Republic Commando would be amazing or maybe a Rogue Squadron game. Hell, just about anything Star Wars from the golden age would be nice.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sure it's sad to see an old great like Lucas Arts go under but let's be honest, they'd done fuck all worth playing since Republic Commando and that was in what, 2005? 2006?

In my opinion this might actually be a good thing, if Disney are turning it into a licensing studio we might actually see a re-release or HD version of some of their classic game since they would almost certainly make money and Disney loves making money.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda off-topic, but then again, kinda not. Who is bigger, Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse?

Also, after the E3 demo, George Lucas decided that it would be about Boba Fett.

OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#305  Edited By OleMarthin

@legion_: well at least here in Norway Donald Duck is much bigger than Micky Mouse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It's sad, but in the end, it just means we'll probably get better Star Wars/Indy games.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#307  Edited By DedBeet

@wewantsthering said:

It's sad, but in the end, it just means we'll probably get better Star Wars/Indy games.

I wouldn't place bets on that. I'd rephrase it to "hopefully we'll get better Star Wars/Indy games."

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

Lucas Arts forever!

God, that's horrific! Bravo, LucasArts *slow clap*

seanord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#309  Edited By seanord

Yeah, I still want to play 1313--they should make that happen.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#310  Edited By Nettacki

Sure it's sad to see an old great like Lucas Arts go under but let's be honest, they'd done fuck all worth playing since Republic Commando and that was in what, 2005? 2006?

In my opinion this might actually be a good thing, if Disney are turning it into a licensing studio we might actually see a re-release or HD version of some of their classic game since they would almost certainly make money and Disney loves making money.

The question is: does Disney care enough about LucasArts' old properties to even think about doing that in the first place?

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nettacki: Well Lucas Arts did nothing with them for over a decade so any chance is better than the zero chance we had.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how I feel about this. I loved the old LucasArts adventure games, but that genre isn't making a comeback anytime soon, if ever. Well Tim Schaefer has his own company now to fill that need, and what has LucasArts done internally lately? KOTOR was a Bioware joint and Pandemic made Battlefront, so what- Force Unleashed? The first one was okay, but nothing earth shattering.

I guess I'm just feeling bad for the people who lost their jobs, and not like we've missed out on anything. 1313 was an okay demo, but 2 minutes of scripted gameplay doesn't mean they have anything resembling an actual product behind closed doors (remember Metal Gear Solid: Rising?). I suppose Star Wars: Uncharted could have been sort of neat, but who knows what they had beyond that demo.

Maybe this will open the door for someone like Ninja Theory to be granted a license to develop a Star Wars game, which would actually be hella cool.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: well at least here in Norway Donald Duck is much bigger than Micky Mouse.

Jeg vet!

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By SmilingPig

That's all epic Mickey's fault.

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By falconpunch

thats pretty sad

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

:(

Metron4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Metron4

"countless memorable games" Alex? I can count the number of Indiana Jones games LucasArts developed with three fingers. No, Desktop Adventures doesn't count. I had to stand by and watch year after year as Tomb Raider stole the adventure market away from our Man with the Hat. Every time yet another horrible Star Wars game came out all I could do was shake my head. You had TWO incredibly popular properties, LucasArts, yet all you could see was light sabers and dollar signs. If adventure has a name, it must be Lara Croft.

Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By Smashlampjaw

I hope this is the start of a video games crash (I know its not but there is always hope) , because this industry needs it badly. It needs to be rebooted cause IMHO its horrible right now and heading into a boring and stupid direction. edit- I should interpret more on this, what I mean is GAMES wise, getting new consoles is great and all but there is just so much bullshit out and its getting ridiculous...

greenocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordandrew: true, i wasn't so sure what i thought about the newer Monkey Island incarnations. Wasn't quite the same! Looks like thats my hopes for a second Full Throttle gone....

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It's sad, but for the best. LucasArts has been sucking for many years, but we'll get more Indy and SW content this way. A lot of it will probably suck, but hey, there's a chance that some of it won't suck.

I don't like to see LucasArts go, but the Sierra and LA classics of my youth live on in my mind and ScummVM.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duder_me said:

@spicyrichter: If you haven't noticed, Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been cancelled. The remaining episodes will be released in some obscure fashion later down the road.

Goddamn, I repeat, what are they THINKING!? This was one of the best things out of the Star Wars universe in ages!

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By dropabombonit

This bummed me out when I first heard about it but seeing the Lucasarts games they played on TNT let me see that they haven't been great for years. The last 3 star wars games they put out were bad and who knows how far along 1313 was. Seemed like a tech demo when they showed it off. If anything having another dev making a Star Wars game is great news, they were the best Star Wars games in the last 10 years. KOTOR was Bioware and Jedi academy was Raven. Please let Raven do something other than COD duty

Alecthegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are you fucking kidding me...

Avatar image for moldyp1zzabagel
    moldyp1zzabagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking Disney.

Really? LucasArts has been a shell of what it used to be. Disney didn't kill their ambitions, they put them out of their misery. I guarantee we will see better Star Wars games as a result of this. I don't blame the average programmer at LucasArts for its decline, I blame its mismanagement. I hope they get jobs elsewhere, but I would bet we see better Star Wars games as a result of this.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#325  Edited By jasondesante

remember that time lucas fired pixar and the creators of the adventure game genre. good times

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.