Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LEGO Rock Band

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

LEGO Rock Band is a family-friendly take on the Rock Band formula, with new songs aimed at audiences of all ages. While the game will play similarly to other Rock Band games, it will feature LEGO characters, instruments, and venues.

Thoughts on Lego Rock Band. - Sell out?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny

I couldn't help but think of this game (or rather topic) after reading some information on it. Plus, I have a HUGE lack of written blogs, so I decided to sit my lazy ass down to write this blog. Enjoy this wall of text!

As you know, Lego Rock Band was announced earlier this week and some people (Aaron Thomas) thinks that Harmonix is selling out. It's pretty easy to understand that.

So he DOES have fingers!
    So he DOES have fingers!
    But, it all depends what you think what you think is a sell out. This is why I don't think it's a sell out. For one thing, look at the rest of Harmonix's line-up this year. The Beatles Rock Band and Rock Band Unplugged. I'm looking specifically at The Beatles. Why would they get one of the most popular bands ever (and one that defied rock none-of-the-less) and then sell out? To me, I think the whole Lego Rock Band is to reach a bigger audience, which some people consider a sell out to begin with, but still keeping the whole Rock Band concept true to itself. Look at the few songs they announced. You have to admit, you always wanted "The Final Countdown" in here, didn't you? Some of the staff members had some things to say about Lego Rock Band also. Like HMXSean.

"First of all - when I found out this was a real thing even I was a little suspicious. I care about this company a lot and derive a lot of pleasure from promoting our image and games to the world, so generally I am constructively suspicious of everything. I'm just made that way.

Then I actually saw some of the test footage and was blown away. Seriously. The concept is so out there that it just works as a big fun thing. Yes, it does edge towards a younger audience but I think it is more like a Pixar movie - sure its for kids but its not JUST for kids. There is truly some awesome stuff in there that I think even hardcore RB fans will be appreciative of.

We have the excellent TT team giving the Lego treatment to Rock Band. Since they have always nailed that out of the park I am stoked to have them on board and have every confidence that I will be playing this when we launch.

We have a lot of neat details coming out over the coming months, and I think a lot of you will be pretty impressed with what's going on with this project. I am not insisting you buy it, that's up to you. All I ask is that you try to keep an open mind about the project as there is some really cool parts to it.

In conclusion-
    • I'm a suspicious guy but this had me smiling.
    • TT rules at these games and I think I have a crush on them.
    • Tons of details forthcoming so stay tuned.
    • I was not asked to do this, this is just me being stoked.

Sincerely,
    Sean
    "

One thing that catches my eye this that he says that this will not only be fun for kids, but I will fun for the hardcore also. I can't really say anything else because we hardly know anything about the game, but as Harmonix releases new stuff, I will be sure to post my thoughts.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I couldn't help but think of this game (or rather topic) after reading some information on it. Plus, I have a HUGE lack of written blogs, so I decided to sit my lazy ass down to write this blog. Enjoy this wall of text!

As you know, Lego Rock Band was announced earlier this week and some people (Aaron Thomas) thinks that Harmonix is selling out. It's pretty easy to understand that.

So he DOES have fingers!
    So he DOES have fingers!
    But, it all depends what you think what you think is a sell out. This is why I don't think it's a sell out. For one thing, look at the rest of Harmonix's line-up this year. The Beatles Rock Band and Rock Band Unplugged. I'm looking specifically at The Beatles. Why would they get one of the most popular bands ever (and one that defied rock none-of-the-less) and then sell out? To me, I think the whole Lego Rock Band is to reach a bigger audience, which some people consider a sell out to begin with, but still keeping the whole Rock Band concept true to itself. Look at the few songs they announced. You have to admit, you always wanted "The Final Countdown" in here, didn't you? Some of the staff members had some things to say about Lego Rock Band also. Like HMXSean.

"First of all - when I found out this was a real thing even I was a little suspicious. I care about this company a lot and derive a lot of pleasure from promoting our image and games to the world, so generally I am constructively suspicious of everything. I'm just made that way.

Then I actually saw some of the test footage and was blown away. Seriously. The concept is so out there that it just works as a big fun thing. Yes, it does edge towards a younger audience but I think it is more like a Pixar movie - sure its for kids but its not JUST for kids. There is truly some awesome stuff in there that I think even hardcore RB fans will be appreciative of.

We have the excellent TT team giving the Lego treatment to Rock Band. Since they have always nailed that out of the park I am stoked to have them on board and have every confidence that I will be playing this when we launch.

We have a lot of neat details coming out over the coming months, and I think a lot of you will be pretty impressed with what's going on with this project. I am not insisting you buy it, that's up to you. All I ask is that you try to keep an open mind about the project as there is some really cool parts to it.

In conclusion-
    • I'm a suspicious guy but this had me smiling.
    • TT rules at these games and I think I have a crush on them.
    • Tons of details forthcoming so stay tuned.
    • I was not asked to do this, this is just me being stoked.

Sincerely,
    Sean
    "

One thing that catches my eye this that he says that this will not only be fun for kids, but I will fun for the hardcore also. I can't really say anything else because we hardly know anything about the game, but as Harmonix releases new stuff, I will be sure to post my thoughts.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Timma1083

I agree. Every time I see a post complaining that Harmonix is turning into the new Neversoft all I can do is want to bash my skull in. Whether hardcore fanboys like it or not, both Neversoft and Harmonix are companies that thrive on money, just like any other company. This is (like you said) reach a broader audience, and even with that intent, I have a feeling that it would appeal to most of the people who play Rock Band right now if they could look past the fact that everything is made of Legos. Some of the facts about the game that were leaked on Xbox.com's detail page for L:RB are actually really cool.

Hell, even if this is a kid's game, it's got me sold so far.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Also, the only expectations I have for the game so far is being a music game, and there is no way Harmonix would mess that up.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I don't think its selling out. I think its fucking crazy. And I think that I may end up thinking its dumb. Cant say yet because I don't really know what the game is.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Timma1083
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "Also, the only expectations I have for the game so far is being a music game, and there is no way Harmonix would mess that up."
    Though from my understanding, Harmonix isn't developing it. TT is. I heard they make good games, so I trust them with a Rock Band title.

@Bear: Yeah, it is too early to tell, which is why I don't understand half the complaining that goes on about this game, since all we've seen is 5 songs and a few screens.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

It has Blur - Song 2 in it

...it'll be just fine...
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    Timma1083 said:
    "Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "Also, the only expectations I have for the game so far is being a music game, and there is no way Harmonix would mess that up."
    Though from my understanding, Harmonix isn't developing it. TT is. I heard they make good games, so I trust them with a Rock Band title.
    If it is TT than that's fine with me because I think they helped the the Track Packs and the Wii versions of the Rock Band games. I'm positive about that part of it.

EDIT- Never mind, it was Pi studios, my bad.

Even if it isn't Harmonix developing it, they (Harmonix) wouldn't just say "Hey make this game with Legos." They would have to keep an eye on it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

Pretty much, I think it's extremely dumb, and I will only rent the game if I can import the songs onto my hard drive for use in real rock band.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    TooWalrus said:
    "Pretty much, I think it's extremely dumb, and I will only rent the game if I can import the songs onto my hard drive for use in real rock band."
    What do you mean "real" Rock Band? This is also a real game, a real Rock Band game.
    Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timma1083
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "Timma1083 said:
    "Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    If it is TT than that's fine with me because I think they helped the the Track Packs and the Wii versions of the Rock Band games. I'm positive about that part of it.EDIT- Never mind, it was Pi studios, my bad.Even if it isn't Harmonix developing it, they (Harmonix) wouldn't just say "Hey make this game with Legos." They would have to keep an eye on it."
    Yeah, I'm sure Harmonix will keep an eye on it.

@Walrus: This is a real Rock Band game, even if it isn't named "Rock Band 3".
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

I have a feeling that Harmonix won't be involved in this at all.

It's just MTV, Traveler's Tales and EA.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Gmanall

Awhile back when they brought out Lego Starwars that seemed new and inventive then the next one came out then the complete saga then Mr Jones and batman now it seems like a hype tag along (Jones and batman movies last year)

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Verdugo
    Timma1083 said:
    "Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "Timma1083 said:
    "Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    If it is TT than that's fine with me because I think they helped the the Track Packs and the Wii versions of the Rock Band games. I'm positive about that part of it.EDIT- Never mind, it was Pi studios, my bad.Even if it isn't Harmonix developing it, they (Harmonix) wouldn't just say "Hey make this game with Legos." They would have to keep an eye on it."
    Yeah, I'm sure Harmonix will keep an eye on it. @Walrus: This is a real Rock Band game, even if it isn't named "Rock Band 3"."

This is pretty much a spiritual successor to Rock Band 2...it's just in LEGO style.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "TooWalrus said:
    "Pretty much, I think it's extremely dumb, and I will only rent the game if I can import the songs onto my hard drive for use in real rock band."
    What do you mean "real" Rock Band? This is also a real game, a real Rock Band game."
    It may be a real rock band game, but you seriously don't know what I mean?

OK, what are the other games in the series capable of importing songs from other games in the series?
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ChickenPants

I really don't see why people care about companies ''selling out'' or whatever. If you think it's a weak product just made to milk money don't buy it.Who cares? It won't affect your enjoyment of any past titles by that company and shouldn't affect future more serious titles.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@Red

Really? Harmonix makes most (if not all) of the Rock Band games, so why would they not keep an eye out?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Mushir

Lego Rock Band is gonna sell tons. Especially on the Wii.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By unsolvedparadox

So far? Totally awesome. The songs are great, the Lego aspect fits in really well and Harmonix has meshed in elements from each of their other 3 standalone products pretty nicely. 

I'm totally itching to buy an actual Lego set and building my own stadium now...!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.