Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Why Left 4 Dead is the best Xbox 360 game so far.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gizmo
    Hello all, I haven't been on much recently, but with good reason, I have been ravishing Left 4 Dead.

So, on the 21st November, I got hold of Left 4 Dead, a game I have been hyping and anticipating since late 2006 and boy, was it worth it.
    The game is very easy to drop in and play, but near impossible to master. At first the choice of weapons seemed limited but after many hours of constant gameplay you realise the limited choice actually enhances the squad based gameplay, meaning that your team ends up taking one particular type of weapon to deal with certain situations(auto-shotty with tank, Mac 10 with horde etc). The sheer amount of enemies on screen at once is stunning, this combined with the incredible AI director means every single game is intense and fresh.

The controls on the 360 version are as good if not better then Call of Duty 4's, bringing together realistic rumble and pin point accuracy with just the right amount of auto-aim. The maps are incredibly re-playable and have many paths, options and secrets to uncover. The maps also have a sense of being really sprawling and you never feel as if you have been in a certain area twice, thanks to the AI director.

I have heard some people complained about the graphics, let me just clear up a few things.
    This game has some of the best graphics on any console, full stop. The dynamic lighting is nothing short of incredible, and this updated version of the source engine looks to be fully utilising this generation of consoles power. I have been playing on a Samsung HD-TV so I have seen what this game can do. The sound is also top notch, but what really makes the sound in L4D incredible is the neccesity of having to closely pay attention to any change in music or tempo, miss the tell-tale drumming music of a horde rush, and you will die.

One of the real suprises for me is the insane awesomeness of the versus mode. Playing as a boss zombie really mixes things up perfectly and it is incredibly satisfying to succesfully mess up a teams tactics and leave them helpless and dying/dead. There are currently only 2 campaigns available for versus, while they are absolutely incredible and satisfying, an extra 1 or 2 campaigns would just be mindblowing.

My hands are still shaking from the finale of Blood Harvest I have just played. After defending the farm-house, we were beaten up and pretty bloodied. Our team was running to the escape vehicle when we all got vomited on, all of us at this point were nearly dead, and out of nowhere, a tank. Long story short, I just managed to kill him, but the others were not so lucky, and there was me, limping pain-stakingly slowly to the APC, shooting off mass hordes of zombies with my auto-shotgun. I took one step inside the vehicle and saw 2 hunters pounce at me, luckily, the APC had already started moving and I was safe.

To summarise what I am trying to get across, this is the best game on the Xbox 360, and in my opinion, Valve's best video-game to date.

My FINAL review score 85/100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Good to see you thoroughly enjoyed the game.

But best 360 game ever?  eh, that's a stretch, man.  PC plays much better.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

I think you mean you got in the APC not ATV >.< 

on this paragraph :

My hands are still shaking from the finale of Blood Harvest I have just played. After defending the farm-house, we were beaten up and pretty bloodied. Our team was running to the escape vehicle when we all got vomited on, all of us at this point were nearly dead, and out of nowhere, a tank. Long story short, I just managed to kill him, but the others were not so lucky, and there was me, limping pain-stakingly slowly to the ATV, shooting off mass hordes of zombies with my auto-shotgun. I took one step inside the vehicle and saw 2 hunters pounce at me, luckily, the ATV had already started moving and I was safe.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am loving it so much but it is not the best game on 360 so far.  Still magnificent but not THAT good.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Psynapse

Yeah, thats just your opinion bud. The game is good but not 'THE BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!'

The graphics are ok, but not the best game on the 360, the source engine is what... 4 years old now? Its getting to the end of its life, read alot of the reviews, they will agree with me on that point. Gears of War 2 has easily superior graphics to that of Left4Dead.

Like i said, not doubting its a good game, your obviously really exited by the game, which is a great thing. I really hope you continue to enjoy it!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gizmo
    Psynapse said:
    "Yeah, thats just your opinion bud. The game is good but not 'THE BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!'
    Sounds like you're trying to say that my opinion is inferior to yours.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Gizmo said:
    "Psynapse said:
    "Yeah, thats just your opinion bud. The game is good but not 'THE BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!'
    Sounds like you're trying to say that my opinion is inferior to yours."
    that is what it looks like 
    Ichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Ichi

Versus mode is great fun, but I find coop & single player a little dry.  Not my fav 360 game this year, but a really great one.

Oh yea, the graphics are nowhere near the best on 360 either though.  It's a half-decent looking title, but I can name like 50 360 games that are better in nearly every regard graphically.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bonesofwar
    Psynapse said:
    The graphics are ok, but not the best game on the 360, the source engine is what... 4 years old now? Its getting to the end of its life, read alot of the reviews, they will agree with me on that point. Gears of War 2 has easily superior graphics to that of Left4Dead.
    Thus making Gear of War 2 the best game on the Xbox 360?
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By keyhunter

Seriously? I don't get it. What the FUCK is wrong with you people?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo
    keyhunter said:
    "Seriously? I don't get it. What the FUCK is wrong with you people?"
    In what regard?
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By Davvyk

it always amuses me when people reply to these best game threads with "no its not the best game on 360 etc etc" its this guys opinion. if Gizmo is finding L4D the best game on the 360 then good for him. my opinion? best multiplayer game on 360.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By keyhunter
    Davvyk said:
    "it always amuses me when people reply to these best game threads with "no its not the best game on 360 etc etc" its this guys opinion. if Gizmo is finding L4D the best game on the 360 then good for him. my opinion? best multiplayer game on 360."
    Oh sorry. What I meant to say is " Oh yeah man, you know it brotha, I agree with you in every respect that Left 4 Dead is the best CS mod I've ever played!"
    Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bonesofwar
    Davvyk said:
    "it always amuses me when people reply to these best game threads with "no its not the best game on 360 etc etc" its this guys opinion. if Gizmo is finding L4D the best game on the 360 then good for him. my opinion? best multiplayer game on 360."
    But, what if they are wrong? Heresy must not go unpunished.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

keyhunter said:
    "Davvyk said:
    Oh sorry. What I meant to say is " Oh yeah man, you know it brotha, I agree with you in every respect that Left 4 Dead is the best CS mod I've ever played!""
    This is the part where I say:

DYUR ITS NOT A CS MODD CUZ IT RUNS ON SOURCE.  CS MODDED HL1. 

And then I write "fail" in the most ostentatious way conceivable. Probably post some picture of a car crashing through a building, too.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Take your details and shove'em.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
    Psynapse said:

Like i said, not doubting its a good game, your obviously really exited by the game, which is a great thing. I really hope you continue to enjoy it!
    "
    I think the graphics on L4D are great, and Source still rocks socks, man.  No one has better lip-synching tech, the skin tones are all well done, and you really feel life in the characters created on that engine.  UE3 may be graphically superior in terms of just LOOKS, but in terms of TONE and FEEL, I think that Source does the job tremendously.
    I mean, just look at MK vs. DCU compared to L4D as far as graphics engines are concerned.  Source makes everything awesome, including mods.  MK vs DCU isn't a bad looking game, but it IS UE3...and it's not nearly as sharp as most UE3 games.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gizmo
    keyhunter said:
    "Davvyk said:
    Oh sorry. What I meant to say is " Oh yeah man, you know it brotha, I agree with you in every respect that Left 4 Dead is the best CS mod I've ever played!""
    Mod?
    I doubt you have even played Left 4 dead.
    Ichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ichi
    jakob187 said:
    I think the graphics on L4D are great, and Source still rocks socks, man.  No one has better lip-synching tech, the skin tones are all well done, and you really feel life in the characters created on that engine.  UE3 may be graphically superior in terms of just LOOKS, but in terms of TONE and FEEL, I think that Source does the job tremendously.
    I mean, just look at MK vs. DCU compared to L4D as far as graphics engines are concerned.  Source makes everything awesome, including mods.  MK vs DCU isn't a bad looking game, but it IS UE3...and it's not nearly as sharp as most UE3 games.
    "
    Things like skin tone & natural feel are all up to artists.  Not many other companies have used the Source engine but if they did you might see more games that wouldn't reflect well upon the engine.  The Source engine is very out of date & not nearly as efficient as many other engines out there, simply because it has been patched over & over to attempt to 'keep up' with modern graphics.  The engine doesn't even have proper multithreading support (at least on PC).

Bringing up MK vs. DCU isn't a fair comparison.  Valve made Source, Epic made UE3.  Compare GOW2 to L4D on the same hardware (the 360 for example), and you can see just how much better the UE3 engine looks.  But I agree that many UE3 engine games don't have good art at all.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely agree with the pro-Source comments.  Source has really aged well, I think.  I prefer the look of Half-Life 2/ Left 4 Dead to the look of something like Call of Duty 4--a sentiment which likely stems from my conscious awareness of my ability to actually interact with the environment to a certain extent. 

I can't tell you how much I love shooting doors down in Left 4 Dead.  I'm not being facetious. 

LiquidNitro12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidNitro12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6hLBvtiZVE

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scieran
    @Gizmo said:
    "
    Hello all, I haven't been on much recently, but with good reason, I have been ravishing Left 4 Dead.

So, on the 21st November, I got hold of Left 4 Dead, a game I have been hyping and anticipating since late 2006 and boy, was it worth it.
    The game is very easy to drop in and play, but near impossible to master. At first the choice of weapons seemed limited but after many hours of constant gameplay you realise the limited choice actually enhances the squad based gameplay, meaning that your team ends up taking one particular type of weapon to deal with certain situations(auto-shotty with tank, Mac 10 with horde etc). The sheer amount of enemies on screen at once is stunning, this combined with the incredible AI director means every single game is intense and fresh.

The controls on the 360 version are as good if not better then Call of Duty 4's, bringing together realistic rumble and pin point accuracy with just the right amount of auto-aim. The maps are incredibly re-playable and have many paths, options and secrets to uncover. The maps also have a sense of being really sprawling and you never feel as if you have been in a certain area twice, thanks to the AI director.

I have heard some people complained about the graphics, let me just clear up a few things.
    This game has some of the best graphics on any console, full stop. The dynamic lighting is nothing short of incredible, and this updated version of the source engine looks to be fully utilising this generation of consoles power. I have been playing on a Samsung HD-TV so I have seen what this game can do. The sound is also top notch, but what really makes the sound in L4D incredible is the neccesity of having to closely pay attention to any change in music or tempo, miss the tell-tale drumming music of a horde rush, and you will die.

One of the real suprises for me is the insane awesomeness of the versus mode. Playing as a boss zombie really mixes things up perfectly and it is incredibly satisfying to succesfully mess up a teams tactics and leave them helpless and dying/dead. There are currently only 2 campaigns available for versus, while they are absolutely incredible and satisfying, an extra 1 or 2 campaigns would just be mindblowing.

My hands are still shaking from the finale of Blood Harvest I have just played. After defending the farm-house, we were beaten up and pretty bloodied. Our team was running to the escape vehicle when we all got vomited on, all of us at this point were nearly dead, and out of nowhere, a tank. Long story short, I just managed to kill him, but the others were not so lucky, and there was me, limping pain-stakingly slowly to the APC, shooting off mass hordes of zombies with my auto-shotgun. I took one step inside the vehicle and saw 2 hunters pounce at me, luckily, the APC had already started moving and I was safe.

To summarise what I am trying to get across, this is the best game on the Xbox 360, and in my opinion, Valve's best video-game to date.

My review score 98/100 (2 percent will be added when DLC is released.)
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captain_clayman

makes me want a 360 or a better PC.

Krepta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krepta

Everyone still finding it easy to play with other people over Xbox Live at this date? I played the 360 L4D at a friends house right around launch time and had a heck of a time finding people to drop into our games or vice versa.

Seems like there is a huge Steam community.

Just curious about the 360 community.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Scieran said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    "

My review score 98/100 (2 percent will be added when DLC is released.)
    In other words you should probably go play hide and go FUCK YOURSELF.
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Grim_Fandango
    @jakob187: The PC does play better, but its easier to coordinate with people in the 360 version because many people actually do have a mic, I don't like standing there and typing out my order in the middle of a fight! :P
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Also, the PC version is completely irrelevant to the 360's review.  I'm not even sure why he would mention that.  

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By natetodamax

The "best 360 game" only gets an 85/100? Man, your standards are whack

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By lemon360

no left4dead sucks. why do u think lfd2's coming so soon? and the best 360 exclusive is gears 1 no question (ya not anymore but for a year)

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

L4D isn't that good.

Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Lawlz

It isn't that good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.