Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

FPS or RTS?

Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Mexalen

Left 4 Dead and Red Alert 3 are both released this thursday around here. I have a huge interest in both games, and it's tough for me to make the decission wich game I am going to buy first. I don't like the idea of having both games at home and switching between them.

I have played the Left 4 Dead-demo about a dozen times now, and i still enjoy it. The game looks great, plays great and with the Director AI always offers something new (and if you have some morrons on the team, it's a completly different experience anyway). I really want to play it right now, and I guess I am not going to stop playing it soon :)

On the other hand there is RA3. I played every C&C game so far, and I haven't had a RTS (if you disregard the Endwar-Beta) since C&C 3. From all I can tell, I am sure to enjoy that game. As there is no demo out, and I don't remember reading about one comming soon, I'd buy it just because I want it to be good. The handling of C&C 3 on X360 was quite okay, and the control scheme seems to be polished now. I never played C&C 3 online, as I got it quite late, and probably I'd suck in MP-matches anyway.

All this just leads to the conclusion I should buy L4D first ... but I could still play the demo, if I needed to kick some zombie-ass. And usually I prefer RTS to any FPS. And there is a certain charme to the idea of spending my time with Gemma Atkinson and Ivana Milicevic ;)
    Anyone care to help me make my decission? :)
    Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Mexalen

Left 4 Dead and Red Alert 3 are both released this thursday around here. I have a huge interest in both games, and it's tough for me to make the decission wich game I am going to buy first. I don't like the idea of having both games at home and switching between them.

I have played the Left 4 Dead-demo about a dozen times now, and i still enjoy it. The game looks great, plays great and with the Director AI always offers something new (and if you have some morrons on the team, it's a completly different experience anyway). I really want to play it right now, and I guess I am not going to stop playing it soon :)

On the other hand there is RA3. I played every C&C game so far, and I haven't had a RTS (if you disregard the Endwar-Beta) since C&C 3. From all I can tell, I am sure to enjoy that game. As there is no demo out, and I don't remember reading about one comming soon, I'd buy it just because I want it to be good. The handling of C&C 3 on X360 was quite okay, and the control scheme seems to be polished now. I never played C&C 3 online, as I got it quite late, and probably I'd suck in MP-matches anyway.

All this just leads to the conclusion I should buy L4D first ... but I could still play the demo, if I needed to kick some zombie-ass. And usually I prefer RTS to any FPS. And there is a certain charme to the idea of spending my time with Gemma Atkinson and Ivana Milicevic ;)
    Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 38

Chances are that if you really want both you'll eventually end up regretting not getting the other.
    If you prefer RTSs go for that one.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By adam_grif

Left4Dead, Left4Dead, Left4Dead.

Although RA3 is fun, Left4Dead is really, really awesome. Get RA3 as well, but wait until it comes down in price a little bit. This whole "a new Command & Conquer every year" (Tib Wars, Kane's Wrath, RA3) needs to stop. New engine please guys, SAGE engine is getting really old.

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dark_Shadow
    Mexalen said:

"
    I think you can't play the Demo from now on. Huh, at least I can't, it had a countdown, 'til the game was released.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

If you had a good PC, maybe you could go for Red Alert 3 but just get Left 4 Dead if you have a 360.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By xruntime

Ok, I have played both. Here is what I say.

If you are not interested in Red Alert 3's multiplayer, then you should go with Left 4 Dead (the campaign isn't anything to be reckoned with).

If it turns out you are, then this is a very tough choice. I'd say Left 4 Dead solely on the basis that it's going to have a lot of longevity, longevity that will give you plenty of time to save up for RA3, if you wish to buy it.

Red Alert 3 is more or less a rehash of the past two games. It's nothing revolutionary, but loads of fun. If you prefer the Starcraft franchise, then don't get Red Alert 3, because as you probably know, SC II is out very soon and all signs are pointing that it will be a huge success.

I had a lot of fun with Red Alert 3. I also had a lot of fun with Left 4 Dead. Besides the qualifiers that I have mentioned above, there is nothing conclusive to sway you to either game. It's up to your choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.