Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Dedicated servers only?

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Raiden36O

Am i missing something, or is there no way to choose to play online with friends using a player's connection to host?

Every time my friends and I want to play L4D together online it connects to a dedicated server in america when ever we start the game. Correct me if im wrong, but not everyone lives in the US, im in Australia and this dedicated server crap means that me and my friends have to play with .5 second lagg and red ping which makes normal difficulty a challenge, let alone expert difficulty.

There have been a few instances where we get green/ orange ping, but for the most part it will always connect us to a dedicated server in America which is very frustrating since if there was just an option to let te player who started the lobby host (rainbow six vegas style) we would be able to enjoy playing co-op through the campaigns without crippling lagg.

If there is a way to use the players host please let me know thanks.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pause422

No you can change the setting in the game options to host locally. Right under the game settings, if you're lobby leader.

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Raiden36O

is that for the PC or 360, because i have the 360 version and when i host a game theres no game options option. all there is is edit game settings (which lets u change the difficulty and the level), choose character, invite friends, permissions, and start the game. Theres no place to select what kind of server u want.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demilich

Maybe you should have bought the PC version. And why the fuck would you want to host a game? So your friend can enjoy 200 ping?

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raiden36O
    Demilich said:
    "Maybe you should have bought the PC version. And why the fuck would you want to host a game? So your friend can enjoy 200 ping?"
    wow nice well thought out response. I bought the 360 version because i enjoy playing on xbox live with my friends and dont have an expensive computer able to run games as well as my xbox can.

And Maybe i want to host a game so that me and my Australian friends can play Left 4 Dead with green ping, instead of automatically connecting to an American server and having to play with red ping and crippling lagg which makes even the low difficulties frustrating. I can host 14 Aussie players on Rainbow Six vegas without any lagg so why would my host have 200 ping when hosting only 4 players on left 4 dead?

I didnt start this thread to create a PC v Xbox which is better thread, i started it to find out if there was any way to play on a player host on the 360 version. Perhaps you should read the opening post of a thread next time so you understand what it is about .
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

You can do it on the 360 also. I know this for a fact because I rented it there to play with a few people, and a friend of mine says he always hosts his own games because it takes so long to find dedicated servers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.