Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

King's Quest

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 28, 2015

Produced by The Odd Gentlemen and released under the revived Sierra label, King's Quest is a re-imagined take on the original series.

Kings Quest Easter Eggs

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm interested in discussing some of the easter eggs and background content in the amazing new King's Quest game.I've noticed a few, but I'm sure I've missed a ton.

*)The icons present in the bottom screen when you have the option to interact with objects are straight from previous King's Quest games. Notably 5.

*)The cape Graham wears is new, but notable for being identical to the one he procures in KQ5

*)There's a running joke in the game where Graham never says his last name. This is because, despite having an entire family who stars in King's Quest games, they have no surname to unite them. Once, when asked, Graham replies "Graham C...". We can assume he was about to answer "Graham Cracker", a joke from King's Quest 2. If the player asked the text parser what Graham's last name was, it would simply reply "Cracker". I choose to believe this isn't actually his last name.

*)The well that the KQ2015 starts at is the same well from King's Quest 1. Actually, the entire first section of the game is retelling 1/3 of King's Quest 1. In KQ1, one of the most important features of the game was it's non-linearity and the ability to solve puzzles with multiple solutions and multiple moralities (And this game is 30 years old!). As such, Graham could kill the dragon with a knife, if you had gotten one earlier in the game. Sneak past the dragon if you had received the ring of invisibility earlier in the game, or throw water on the Dragon and douse his flames if you had gotten the bucket and filled it earlier in the game (See how adventure game puzzles used to actually make sense?). This morality choice is echoed in the new game, but with less subtlety and cleverness.

*)Graham's elaborate drowning charade in KQ2015 subtly pokes fun at the humorous drowning animations present in most King's Quest games.

*)There is a gag in KQ2015 dealing with a tourist trap "Floating Island" charade. This is ironic because Graham really does visit Daventry's floating island in KQ1, using a sprouting beanstalk to get there.

*)The town section in Daventry is the same as the Town Square in King's Quest 5, except viewed from a different angle. The baker's shop still exist and has the custard pie that Graham will use as an item later in his life. The water mill, also, can be seen from a different angle in KQ2015

*)The blacksmith in town bears a striking resemblance to KQ creator Roberta Williams. I can't guarantee it, but, really, how many auburn haired women with bangs do you see in videogames?

*) There are three shops in the game. Blacksmith, Bakery and Potion shop. It would seem that these three shops represent the three themes in the game. Strength, compassion and intelligence. These three themes seem to be reflected over and over again in various areas.

*)The potion shop lady hums "green sleeves" at one point, which at one point was the theme song for KQ. Later, an official theme song was created, of which KQ2015 has a variant.

*) KQ2015 casts Graham as being an archer. This was new information to me, but it does serve a decent explanation for why, In KQ1, Graham was a knight, but wore no armor and carried no sword.

These are all I can think of right now.

LOVE this game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so much Easter Eggs, but I guess this topic's suitable for mentioning that they poke some fun at Telltale with a few lines. Luckily just those two times, because the joke probably would've got old after that...

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

Not so much Easter Eggs, but I guess this topic's suitable for mentioning that they poke some fun at Telltale with a few lines. Luckily just those two times, because the joke probably would've got old after that...

which lines? I missed that...

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow this is some impressive love for KQ, kudos duder

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not a easter egg either but seen as though they got Christopher Lloyd to do the VO did anybody notice the Back to the Future reference?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

Gwendolyn asking "Will [x] remember that?" about the merchant and the squirrels. Of course I could be wrong, but seeing how Telltale themselves are making fun of that trope by now...

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:
    @bananasfoster said:
    @glottery said:

Gwendolyn asking "Will [x] remember that?" about the merchant and the squirrels. Of course I could be wrong, but seeing how Telltale themselves are making fun of that trope by now...

I heard that line, but didn't get it. The only telltale game I played was Wolf Among us and a few episodes of TWD. What is the reference with the squirrels?

Pestulon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how the tapestries in the castle were box art from the old King's Quest games. That was a nice touch.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if they count as easter eggs, but there are a bunch of princess bride references. The whole game with the poisoned cup, and at one point Manny says something like "That's incon...siderate!" or something like that (reference to "Inconceivable!")

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brianp said:

I don't know if they count as easter eggs, but there are a bunch of princess bride references. The whole game with the poisoned cup, and at one point Manny says something like "That's incon...siderate!" or something like that (reference to "Inconceivable!")

I'd count that as an easter egg.

I think the first time Gwendolyn chimes into the story, she's quoting the boy from the princess bride, world-for-word.

I love the humor in the game. So far my favorite line is when the elderly couple who brews potions is like "... we think you'll beat those other knights (or something)" and Graham is like "Zounds! Did you just read my fortune?" and they're like, "No... we're just old and very, very judgemental."

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrianP

@brianp said:

I think the first time Gwendolyn chimes into the story, she's quoting the boy from the princess bride, world-for-word.

I love the humor in the game. So far my favorite line is when the elderly couple who brews potions is like "... we think you'll beat those other knights (or something)" and Graham is like "Zounds! Did you just read my fortune?" and they're like, "No... we're just old and very, very judgemental."

Agreed, I thought the writing was very on point. I got a good chuckle out of the bridge troll saying he was "hangry"

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By bceagles128
    @brianp said:
    @bananasfoster said:
    @brianp said:

Agreed, I thought the writing was very on point. I got a good chuckle out of the bridge troll saying he was "hangry"

I laughed pretty much every time Acorn opened his mouth. For best comedic results, I would suggest that whenever the narrator tells you to do something, you do the exact opposite. So when he says not to use the hatchet on everything, use it on literally everything. When he tells you to go east, go west. Etc.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Definitely missed some of those, but it's cool to see again how much they care for making this a worthy game in the series. So far it certainly is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.