Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

What is the name of Kinect's predecessor?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I've heard about this camera from a few people on the internet before, Microsoft apparently had some sort of camera peripheral in the 90's. The topic is usually brought up when people say "Kinect is just an advanced Eye-toy", but in fact the Eye-toy came out after this Microsoft camera. I just want to know the name. Every search including "microsoft" and "motion sensing camera" always comes back with Kinect. 

It's almost like this thing doesn't exist!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

Maybe it never was released as a commercial product, therefore never had a name?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Maybe, but I still think it would be cool to read up on. I'm just curious about it that's all

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Kinect is based off of another camera that looks almost identical. It's made by some weird company. Looks like Microsoft just bought the tech or something. You're probably talking about something else though if it was from the 90s. 

Edit: I'm talking about this thing: 

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.