Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

P90x and the Kinect

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Edited By Slag

Have many people really lost meaningful weight using  fitness video games?  Most of the ones I've tried like Wii fit really didn't seem to do much at all. I'd be curious to see if there's been any unbiased studies done on the topic.

The only one I can ever remember playing and feeling like I ever got an actual workout was the DDR series. And perhaps coincidentally (or not?) it's also the only one in my experience that was remotely fun to play.

It seems to me there is low hanging fruit here for an aspiring fitness genre developer for a concept that actually seems to produce results and that's the P90x franchise/craze. It's certainly the regimen du jour (like Tae Bo and such before it) and it's heavily promoted on all the ESPN properties (guess they are done using nutrisystem).  Ancedotally it's the only one of those sorts of regimens I've actually seen work for friends and family. That stuff can get you seriously ripped. 

but even if it didn't it still has enough mindshare that I could see the brand being really valuable for a fitness game.

Furthermore they have a version called "Insanity" that doesn't require any equipment. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to adopt the workout vids into a connected KInect game to enhance the experience.

the reason I could see people actually going for a Kinect game version is that the P90x workouts are really really hard and you are allowed  by the workout to stop anytime you are overwhelmed (in fact in the videos I've seen many of the example instructor minions regularly collapse from exhaustion). So I could see how it could be useful to have something like Kinect keep track of how much you actually do from day to day.  And possibly make it more fun to do. I know if I tried it I'd need some sort of reinforcement to keep me going.

I still can't fathom why no one has come out with an honest to goodness good fitness game for the Wii or Kinect yet. The fact people so many copies of that Wii Fit nonsense should developers there is a market for it.  A good portion of the original console gamer generation like myself are aging to a point where our metabolisms are slowing and in general have considerably less time for gaming with no side benefit. And hey America in general is really fat, and constantly spending money on garbage diets and such to lose weight. So there's cash money to be had here for developers.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Slag

Have many people really lost meaningful weight using  fitness video games?  Most of the ones I've tried like Wii fit really didn't seem to do much at all. I'd be curious to see if there's been any unbiased studies done on the topic.

The only one I can ever remember playing and feeling like I ever got an actual workout was the DDR series. And perhaps coincidentally (or not?) it's also the only one in my experience that was remotely fun to play.

It seems to me there is low hanging fruit here for an aspiring fitness genre developer for a concept that actually seems to produce results and that's the P90x franchise/craze. It's certainly the regimen du jour (like Tae Bo and such before it) and it's heavily promoted on all the ESPN properties (guess they are done using nutrisystem).  Ancedotally it's the only one of those sorts of regimens I've actually seen work for friends and family. That stuff can get you seriously ripped. 

but even if it didn't it still has enough mindshare that I could see the brand being really valuable for a fitness game.

Furthermore they have a version called "Insanity" that doesn't require any equipment. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to adopt the workout vids into a connected KInect game to enhance the experience.

the reason I could see people actually going for a Kinect game version is that the P90x workouts are really really hard and you are allowed  by the workout to stop anytime you are overwhelmed (in fact in the videos I've seen many of the example instructor minions regularly collapse from exhaustion). So I could see how it could be useful to have something like Kinect keep track of how much you actually do from day to day.  And possibly make it more fun to do. I know if I tried it I'd need some sort of reinforcement to keep me going.

I still can't fathom why no one has come out with an honest to goodness good fitness game for the Wii or Kinect yet. The fact people so many copies of that Wii Fit nonsense should developers there is a market for it.  A good portion of the original console gamer generation like myself are aging to a point where our metabolisms are slowing and in general have considerably less time for gaming with no side benefit. And hey America in general is really fat, and constantly spending money on garbage diets and such to lose weight. So there's cash money to be had here for developers.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Ocean_H

Have you actually tried or seen what the P90X is actually? I use the P90X and the system won't work with the Achievements system as P90X is based on your own personal limits: Achievements needs a pre-determined sets of number (i.e. Reach 200 push-ups) which is not what P90X aims for. P90X does not have a general and specific sets of goals (do 50 push up on day one, 100 on day 30, etc), the goals are based on your personal and physical limits.

@Slag said:

... I still can't fathom why no one has come out with an honest to goodness good fitness game for the Wii or Kinect yet...

Answer: EA Sports Active 2.0

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Slag
    @Ocean_H said:

Have you actually tried or seen what the P90X is actually?

yes I have to both.

@Ocean_H said:

I use the P90X and the system won't work with the Achievements system as P90X is based on your own personal limits: Achievements needs a pre-determined sets of number (i.e. Reach 200 push-ups) which is not what P90X aims for. P90X does not have a general and specific sets of goals (do 50 push up on day one, 100 on day 30, etc), the goals are based on your personal and physical limits.

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't necessarily thinking about achievements. I was more thinking of how the Kinect could track your progress. Even with personal and physical limits taken into consideration, I would think most people would like to see improvement over time. It's a pretty common thing for a person to overestimate how much of something they've actually done. People are pretty bad at mental math/honesty and I could see something like Kinect possibly keeping a player more honest with themselves.

Either way I think a developer could potentially design their way around such an issue.

@Ocean_H said:

Answer: EA Sports Active 2.0

doesn't seem nearly as popular on giantbomb,com as Wii Fit. But I admit I haven't tried that one yet as I didn't dig the first one. What do you like about it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.