Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

Pit is brought back to life, now in 3D. Using clubs, staffs, arms, bows and a variety of other weapons, the loyal angel fights a host of old and new enemies in an all-new adventure.

Post story mode impressions: So. Awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

No, reallly.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is so. Awesome!

If that's not elaborate enough for you, I just beat the story mode after a marathon that consumed my evening. And my 3DS battery. I spent several hours on my couch with my 3DS set into my Circle Pad Pro while also remaining directly plugged into the wall. I just couldn't put the game down. People can complain about the controls all they want, but I never had a single problem with them. I don't know what people are complaining about.

And the story is just wonderful. It starts off as a sort of revisiting of the original game with plenty of goofy poking at the NES days, but the writing and general sense of whimsy about the whole affair is so well written and voiced that when the game does get more serious, the characters remain endearing. Part of the reason I couldn't put the game down tonight was just to see the story through to the end. I couldn't go to bed leaving things unresolved. And yes, the story is a fairly simple one, all things considered, but damn if it doesn't have a lot of heart behind it.

I could write more in depth, but, well, spoilers. Also, I need to hit the sack soon. I'll try to write something more in depth tomorrow if I have time, but I will say this.

If you have a 3DS, play this game. Seriously. Just do it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

After 8-4 Play also praising the game's dialogue and story, this is the first 3DS game to tempt me into buying the handheld just for it.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BlatantNinja23

So far I'm pretty in love with it as well... I'd play it more often if I didn't have giant hands in with the 3ds and the games controls bring pain to...

If Nintendo is going to continue to surprise me with games of this quality, they may have actually convinced me to even buy a Wii U for its gaming "future"...

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

I think this is the best Nintendo game I have played since Galaxy 2.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Great story, you say? This from the guy who loves Other M.

Pfffft.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bwheeeler

It's ridiculous how good this game is. Maybe it's just because I expected it to be aggressively mediocre, but I think I like it more than Super Mario 3D Land. One thing I love about (some) Japanese games is how they go for broke from the very beginning and then just keep topping that.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeF

You had me thinking there for a second that there was new "pos tstory-mode"-content ... :(

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@DeF said:

You had me thinking there for a second that there was new "pos tstory-mode"-content ... :(

Well, there technically is. You unlock a boss rush after completing the story. .:P

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

No on-rails shooter has ever been awesome. People who like this garbage are idiots.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TentPole

@James_Giant_Peach: Despite the fact that there are fantastic rail shooters out there, there is also the fact that the majority of this game is not a rail shooter. I have a hard time believing you are serious.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bocam

How long is it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @Bocam

How long is it?

I don't know the number of hours off the top of my head. I should check the stats when I have a chance. But there are 25 chapters in the story.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yeah, this game's pretty fucking good. The story is surprisingly awesome, the controls are amazing, the dialogue's hilarious, and the game is always set to crazy.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By rempresent

I wish that there wasn't a running dialogue that is really interesting going on during the gameplay. I am having a hard time watching both screens while doing all that crazy flying around. On other play-throughs, I am going to bring that difficulty down to 1 and just watch the bottom screen. I am enjoying everything about this game and I wish that multiplayer was a little less frantic. I am still unsure of what I am doing and when, but having fun with item drops. I really want to get a room full of duders and play some multiplayer, that is where I think this game will really sing for me.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FierceDeity

@James_Giant_Peach said:

No on-rails shooter has ever been awesome. People who like this garbage are idiots.

From what I've seen the rail shooter sequences only last 5 minutes or less, per chapter, and each chapter is between 20 and 40 minutes long. So the rail shooter sequences actually only comprise a small portion of the overall game. Besides though, those sequences actually look super awesome.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bwheeeler

@rempresent said:

I wish that there wasn't a running dialogue that is really interesting going on during the gameplay. I am having a hard time watching both screens while doing all that crazy flying around. On other play-throughs, I am going to bring that difficulty down to 1 and just watch the bottom screen. I am enjoying everything about this game and I wish that multiplayer was a little less frantic. I am still unsure of what I am doing and when, but having fun with item drops. I really want to get a room full of duders and play some multiplayer, that is where I think this game will really sing for me.

The constant dialogue is one of my favorite parts. The game never gets boring.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@Bocam said:

How long is it?

After checking, I've spent thirteen hours and ten minutes in solo (story) mode. However, I spent some of that time going back through stages I had already cleared to grind for hearts.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By yoshimitz707

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam

How long is it?

I don't know the number of hours off the top of my head. I should check the stats when I have a chance. But there are 25 chapters in the story.

25!? Geez, and I thought I was nearing the end after the twist in chapter 9 (or was it 10?). That's awesome to hear that I'm no where near done.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam

How long is it?

25!? Geez, and I thought I was nearing the end after the twist in chapter 9 (or was it 10?). That's awesome to hear that I'm no where near done.

Man, the story just gets crazier and crazier from there. It's awesome.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64

I agree with you. The game is fantastic. If you can get used to the odd control scheme, you are in for a fantastic game. Sakurai is one smart mother fucker and knows how to make a great game. My only grip I have with the game is I wish the Online was a little more robust. An online Ranking System and some Leaderboard support would have been great.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kurtbro900

This game is super awesome and not getting near enough recognition! I hope it gets good sales.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Julmust

Just bought this, super excited. Seems like people are generally positive except some don't like the controls which is understandable.

Looks great though and the things I've read, seen and most recently heard on the Bombcast sold me on the game.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By breenmachine

Bought this yesterday and am floored by how much it has exceeded my expectations. Sakurai is at the top of his game here.

Also, DAT LOOT! I didn't think I've been this fanatic about a nintendo game since Pokemon black.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By benspyda

My games coming in the mail in about a week. I can't wait. The quicklook sold me on the game.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PokeIkzai

I think this is finally going to be a game I get for the 3DS. My 3DS has been packed safely away in a box for months. Looking forward to digging it out for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.