Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

Protective Shell Contract

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

So I'm trying to complete a contract to "test the AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell" while in orbit around Kerbin and at a specific altitude. The problem is that I have no idea how to "test," this specific part. In similar past contracts, I right clicked the part when all conditions were met and clicked "run test," but there is no such option for this specific part. I've also tried deploying the Protective Shell when the conditions were met and that did not work either, so I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone here know how to test the AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell for contract purposes? Thank you.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

@flashflood_29: You probably just have to activate it through staging

edit: ah pfff nvm, didn't noticed the part where you say you already tried that..

Weird, are you sure all conditions were met when you deployed it?

JMichaelMovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JMichaelMovies

Six months later, this thread is the first result and only relevant thing I find through searching. I reported this as a bug because I am having the same issue. Did the OP ever figure this issue out? Bump for relevance and anyone else struggling to complete this contract.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@onarum: @jmichaelmovies: I don't think I ever figured it out. I remember after some digging that those parts were bugged in some ways. That could be related and it could not. I don't know. Did you have this problem as well, just recently?

JMichaelMovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, playing it right now. I tried a number of different staging combinations at the required contract orbit (290k -300k) and all conditions are check-marked, but I can't get it to complete. Thankfully, I was carrying tourists and testing another part at a 450km orbit and managed that easily enough, so the trip wasn't all for nothing. Hard-mode version is hard in more ways than one I guess *sigh* (bye bye money lol).

JMichaelMovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: I somehow just achieved contract completion! The only thing I did differently was to move the piece to its own stage. Then, while running an engine (Terrier in orbit) on my current stage, I activated the aistream next and it completed. Wow weird...

fogBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm stuck on the same problem. I've activated the AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell at the requested altitude, while in orbit, and form Kerbal as requested. all three subtasks had green checks. so I activated the stage that had only the E-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell in it and the last check for testing did not light up. when returning to Kerbal the mission was still not complete.

can anyone help?

the13thxen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the13thxen

Just completed the test, needs an active running engine.

Dweeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the tip about engines. I had to test the big version on the launch pad, but it only seems to work when the engines are at full power and as soon as you leave the ground it doesnt count as the launch pad anymore, so I ended up with this monstrosity:

No Caption Provided

rouey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some test contracts, the part in question must be activated through staging.

Give it a try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.