Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 01, 2015

Battle a dictator's forces in a fictional Mediterranean archipelago in this follow-up to the popular series from Avalanche Studios and Square-Enix.

JC3 Story?

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently bought JC3 on PS4 since it was on sale. So, a little back story: My dad passed away two weeks ago. For the first week I had no interest in even trying to play any games. I stopped working out, couldn't really pay attention to any shows I would try to watch. Basically just put on GB stuff and spaced out. It was rough. It still is, but I'm getting better. I still find myself not really in the head space to want to play games. I was playing Dark Souls on PC for the first time, but just can't right now, so that's on hold. I wanted something dumb and fun and easy, JC3 seemed to be a decent choice.

I'm never skip cutscenes the first time through a game. Even if the story is bad, I want to take the whole game in as much as I can. That said, I'm finding myself not really paying attention or caring even a little bit about this story or the characters. I just want to mindlessly parachute around and blow up fuel tanks, etc. I don't know if this is because of my current state of mind or if it is because the story is just trash. I haven't brought myself to start skipping cut scenes or straight up ignoring voice overs, but I kinda want to.

So this is my question, to people who have played this. Given that every day I feel a little more normal, do you think I will regret just ignoring the story in this game at all? I just got to the mission where De Rivello (sp?) sent some tanks to Costa Del Porto and I have to destroy them. So I'm very early on. I'd hate to start skipping cut scenes now and later realize the story becomes compelling, but I'm missing some plot points. However, I'm honestly missing stuff anyway because I'm not really paying attention during the cutscenes.

TL;DR: How is the story? Should I just skip cut scenes or will I regret it later in the game? Obviously, this is subjective, just trying to get opinions.

vman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vman

Skip it and enjoy blowing things up. The story is extremely forgettable. I spent hours just wingsuiting across the island and blowing things up. Its a great game, but not because of the story.

Also my condolences. Do whatever feels right for you at the moment.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sorry for your loss.

The story is terrible. Don't worry about skipping anything, it doesn't get any better as it goes on, and it doesn't make a lot of sense even if you do watch everything.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The story is the same as the other 2 games. You're there to liberate the island from a naughty man ruling it. And much like the other 2 games you should indeed skip that shit and just blow things up.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the responses. I feel a little better about skipping the story now. It's weird because I never do that, but I think it's the way to go right now. I went ahead and turned voice volume and subtitles off, too. Just going to fly around and liberate outposts, do some challenge missions, maybe a story mission here and there. Kinda freeing, actually. Just treating the game as a playground, ignoring the structure.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

JC 3's story is pretty terrible. It's neither funny nor interesting to be honest. I'd agree with everyone else here. Just treat the game as a giant sandbox and don't worry about the story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The story is totally skippable. You're just there for the explosions.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I reached the end and thought I missed something, despite watching every cutscene. It passes by, completely insignificant to the experience and barely relevant to what you're doing. Wasted potential, so you're better off without it.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To echo what the others said, it's absolutely a game you can play and ignore the story. I had a lot more fun taking over the settlements than dealing with the story missions too.

Really sorry for your loss. Must be incredibly difficult. My mother rapidly approaching the end of her fight with terminal bowel cancer, so I've also been in a state of not being able to concentrate/deal with heavy story. Just Cause 3 was unexpectedly therapeutic. :)

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moth_pope: I'm sorry to hear about your mom. It's definitely difficult. Not really something that I can even describe. My dad had lung cancer. He should have had a couple of years more, according to doctors, but he took an unexpected turn one night and was gone the next day. I've got so many regrets, but the one that nags me is that we were both so awkward about talking. I wish I had taken more time to tell him I loved him and to thank him for everything he had done for me. I regret not going over to my parents house the weekend before, just because I felt lazy. Don't leave anything unsaid or take anything for granted. My dad isn't the only one who is gone. I'm not the same person I was two weeks ago. The whole world changes. At least, that's my experience. I try to talk to my mom every day now.

But, yeah. JC3 is working for me, mostly. It has some issues that annoy me, but it's scratching an itch I had to replay GTAV, just didn't want to buy it again for this gen or go back to the PS3 to play it. Got GB on my PC monitor, or maybe some wrestling, half paying attention to a game where death doesn't have any real consequences.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By AltonBrown

GET IN THERE AND FUCK SHIT UP

THAT IS YOUR MISSION

TAKE OFF EVERY ZIG

Edit: ALSO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

THAT SUCKS DUDE

ILU BBY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.