Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

John Carmack

Person » credited in 51 games

Co-founder of id Software, Carmack is a technical innovator in the video game industry. He is best known for his work in the Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake franchises. He officially resigned from id in November 2013 to join Oculus VR.

Next-gen will still be 30 FPS says Carmack

• 98 results
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ravenlight
    “Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that a lot of next gen games will still target 30 fps,” said Carmack.
    Targeting a typical frame rate of 30 frames per second could also mean many displays of future console games will also come in at a resolution of 720p.

Source

How do you guys feel? Is 30 FPS/720p good enough?

I'm bummed that the goal isn't 60 FPS and true 1080p but at the same time, if next-gen games can achieve a consistent 30 FPS with enhanced shader and rendering techniques over current console games, then the future will still look pretty good. My biggest fear for the next console cycle is that the hardware won't be there to support a constant 30 FPS. If not, I feel like new consoles will be doomed from the get-go.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I just don't see it, Carmack made a pretty terrible game with Rage that was poorly ported to consoles, doesnt mean everyone will.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

Good, we don't want games to start looking like soap operas.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Better graphics will always be a priority for many devs, and I believe 30 FPS facilitates that.

I've never been able to actually tell the difference between a game running at 30 FPS and one running at 60. Is there an easy way to determine this?

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icecreamjones

Honestly? This is basically saying not all devs will hold themselves to standards. That's..business as usual. People who want to get 60 FPS? They'll still target that. This basically says nothing new.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

I just don't see it, in my opinion Carmack made a pretty terrible game with Rage that was poorly ported to consoles, doesnt mean everyone will.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm not surprised. Why would devs go for 60 fps when they could just as easily have 30 fps (which is still plenty playable) and more stuff going on onscreen?
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

They can make console games look better at 30FPS, 720, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how things went. Maybe they'll shoot for 60 FPS, 1080p for the first year or so, but as soon as developers realize that these particles and this explosion won't work unless you lower the resolution and framerate, well, they won't hesitate to drop them.

I don't have a major problem with that as long as two things happen - the first is that 30FPS stays consistent and doesn't drop often, the second is that motion blur is properly implemented so that it looks good, but doesn't make it hard to see anything around you.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Azteck

I feel like I should be posting that PC Master Race picture or something.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

Carmack has released what....one game this generation? And not that great of a game from what I've heard....

It's like your grandfather telling you about the internet.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Stete

Well, you can't really force developers to make all their games run at 60FPS.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Rokkaku

Any speculation is still pretty much useless now without specs out in the open. There might be very different goals with the technology in these machines than simply amping up the power/graphics/framerate. And 1st and 3rd party development, as we've seen, can produce wildly different results in terms of visual prowess, e.g. Uncharted, Killzone, even Mario Galaxy on the Wii. First party devs will push the envelope much farther than third when going for visuals, so don't count out 60 fps, or whatever your preferred visual aphrodisiac is, just yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

I have no problem with that. Honestly, there are some games that I prefer at 30fps, such as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Far Cry 3. I know that sounds weird, but the thing about 30fps is that it helps to add a specific level of weight to the environment and character animations. I think taking that away can actually hurt some games, as it makes everything feel...floaty.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

@drewmaw: we were in danger of not getting this on page one, now I can sleep easy tonight.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

they at least need to go 1080p next gen....

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

I don't think anybody's expecting console games to run higher than 30fps standard if you can do four times as much stuff as you could at 60fps. I'd rather have games that pushed the console hardware for which they were designed, and then play them on PC if I needed higher framerates or resolutions. However 1080p will definitely be the standard for next gen... I mean how could it not?

@Vinny_Says said:

Carmack has released what....one game this generation? And not that great of a game from what I've heard....

It's like your grandfather telling you about the internet.

Yeah, if your grandfather is Al Gore. Carmack is co-responsible for the FPS, which is still the genre.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

I'll start listening to Carmack when he makes a good game again. See you in 10 years, 20, never? It has been over a decade since Quake III.

tbh I don't really care if consoles are 1080p or 60 FPS, I start university in like 9 months; I'll only have regular access to my gaming PC over the next 4 years. I might not even have that when I move to Japan 2014.

@jakob187 said:

but the thing about 30fps is that it helps to add a specific level of weight to the environment and character animations. I think taking that away can actually hurt some games, as it makes everything feel...floaty.

I have no idea what you are talking about there, or you are just playing the wrong games. Plenty of weight while running at 60 FPS, go and play a fighting game with a big, heavy character like Hulk or Zangief and tell me they feel floaty.

@FluxWaveZ said:

I've never been able to actually tell the difference between a game running at 30 FPS and one running at 60. Is there an easy way to determine this?

Are you serious? It is night and day. If you genuinely can't tell the difference then perhaps there's some sort of flaw with the way you perceive motion, and no that's not meant to sound like a dick move.

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html#

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think still images probably sell games more than nice fluid motion, so it makes sense they would target texture quality over frame rate.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it though.

You know what would be cool, some sort of toggle, ala PC games. You could either have 1080 resolution and 30 frames or 720 and 60. Because I'd probably pick the latter.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

If that is true then I am fine with it. 60fps is cool and all but it hasn't been enough of a big deal for me to care all that much.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

@rebgav said:

@Ravenlight said:

Is 30 FPS/720p good enough?

Nope.

It's inevitable that devs will still target (and still fail to hit) 30fps. People prefer to buy games which look (relatively) nice rather than games which play and perform well and it's easier to make eye-candy than high-quality gameplay experiences.

I think the thing is that the mainstream audience knows and consciously understands that they want better graphics. They don't know that they want 60fps, but they do subconsciously recognise that it plays better than 30fps, even if they couldn't put their finger on what the difference is exactly. And because it's more of a subconscious thing, I think a lot of developers underestimate the difference it can make to the play experience.

AFAIK, Call of Duty still aims for 60fps, and they obviously consider it an important part of the magic formula to keep going to that much trouble during development. Maybe everybody else should look at their gajillion sales and consider that perhaps they are right to consider it important.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Jimbo said:

Good, we don't want games to start looking like soap operas.

I laughed out loud. Well done, sir.
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SlashDance

No, next-gen consoles won't have Pixar quality graphics, they won't have instant loading times, and not all games will run at 60 fps. Just like the last consoles, and the ones before that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi
    @Bourbon_Warrior

I just don't see it, Carmack made a pretty terrible game with Rage that was poorly ported to consoles, doesnt mean everyone will.

That shit ran at 60 on consoles. Ill give you that RAGE is a boring ass game but fuck I was impressed that it ran as well as it did on consoles.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

If we're talking a ROCK SOLID 30, with no stuttering and tearing I think I could handle that.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Christoffer

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It's not terrible, just... limited.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yeah I was gonna say more advanced shaders, models and AI are really what's going to make the next gen next gen. They will most likely want to push those things to the limit which is around 30 fps for playable games.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHBK

I think the 30 FPS and 720p are different ballparks. I was with Carmack on this until he mentioned 720p. I doubt games will stay there and do think most if not all will be at 1080p.

The 30FPS argument has to do with the work put into the game, optimization. You can do more work to get the games to 60fps but usually to make deadlines and not have inconsistency, it is easier and often the case to go with 30fps. 720p however is something that is done at the beginning and really don't think games would go to 720 unless they want them to run at 60fps. This is the case with Call of Duty where they lower the resolution to get a higher frame rate.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaLe

As long as they have graphics I don't care. I want to see every leaf on the tree, not just half of them. I only play to see all them. Thank you.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bishna

@TheHBK said:

I think the 30 FPS and 720p are different ballparks. I was with Carmack on this until he mentioned 720p. I doubt games will stay there and do think most if not all will be at 1080p.

The 30FPS argument has to do with the work put into the game, optimization. You can do more work to get the games to 60fps but usually to make deadlines and not have inconsistency, it is easier and often the case to go with 30fps. 720p however is something that is done at the beginning and really don't think games would go to 720 unless they want them to run at 60fps. This is the case with Call of Duty where they lower the resolution to get a higher frame rate.

Everyone lowers their resolution, not just Call of Duty.

I don't think the 720p thing was actually part of Carmack's original quote, but I still agree with it. At the end of the day, TV commercials and the like are going to run at <= 30, and upscaling and anti aliasing is getting so good that for most people (including myself) its really hard to notice on a big television far away what resolution something is actually being run at.

Its unfortunate, but a large combination of factors mean that most games will still target 30fps at 720p, even on better hardware.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By captain_clayman

1080p 30 fps will be the standard, I predict. There might be a few full 60 fps games, but I feel like they'll be pretty few and far between. Games will look a hell of a lot better though, so that's a plus. The fact of the matter is, most people don't understand or instantly appreciate 60fps. Also it's really hard to market to most people.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The extra horse-power is going to be used to make games look nicer, as Jeff said on the Bombcast; the general audience will not recognise the difference and will bemoan the game looking slightly shabbier in order for developers to achieve 60 FPS.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By clush

For consoles, 30 fps as opposed to 60 doesnt make that big a difference. Only in racing games that give a good sense of speed the difference actually influences the general user's experience. It matters less in (graphically) slower moving games because of the way console games are controlled, ie. analog sticks. They lack precision or snappiness by design. The added sense of sluggishness 30fps brings to the table might still be noticeable, but it really is insignificant compared to the sluggishness that's there by default due to the game being controlled with an analog controller.

Using a mouse allows for way more precision, controlwise. So on PC, a game's snappiness is generally dictated by the framerate. On a console, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say pc's are superior and consoles suck, they're just different ballgames. Ever since the original Halo console devs (for shooters, anyway) figured out how to compensate for the fact consoles use analog sticks and not the snappier mouse and keyboard. They just made the gameplay slower in general. And it works fine.

One should note, however, that at 30fps it's pretty key that the framerate does not drop lower still. 30 is pretty much the low end of what framerate suffices the playing of any game. Once it drops below 25, the video put out will actually be noticeably jittery to most people, at which point not only the slightly more sluggish 'feel' controlwise, but also the visual experience starts to suffer.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Raven10

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I don't think you realize what a technical achievement Rage was. Maybe it was a bad game, but it was one of the greatest technical achievements of this console generation. How many other games run at a locked 60 fps on consoles while often running at native 720p? Not many and none of them look half as good as Rage.

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RustySanderke

It wouldn't surprise me if console devs target 30 frames per second. Expecting a target resolution of 720p on the second generation HD consoles is what strikes me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By fattony12000

Just give me a solid vsynced 30 fps at a 720p native output from the game, at least.

PLEEEEASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I've never been able to tell the difference between 30fps & 60fps. Then again I hardly ever even notice screen tearing. Never saw it once in Alan Wake. Hopefully we will be able to get consistent 30fps next gen, but that won't be happening at launch.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Demoskinos said:

@Bourbon_Warrior

That shit ran at 60 on consoles. Ill give you that RAGE is a boring ass game but fuck I was impressed that it ran as well as it did on consoles.

It had the most distracting texture pop-in I have seen in a game, I think he's crazy I'm expecting 1080p 60FPS games with DX11 features. Otherwise why would I upgrade, if it's 720p with 30fps the graphics cant look that much different if it is staying at 720p.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wacomole

Sad thing is, as I get older and everyone's watching things in 8K and 500fps with 18.2 surround, my eyes are going to be working at closer to VGA resolution and my ears in mono!

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RustySanderke

@MoleyUK said:

Sad thing is, as I get older and everyone's watching things in 8K and 500fps with 18.2 surround, my eyes are going to be working at closer to VGA resolution and my ears in mono!

Let's hope we have augmented eyes and ears before we reach that level of deterioration.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By musubi
    @Bourbon_Warrior I only think its really distracting when you are actively looking for it. I never found it to be incredibly jarring myself.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Spoonman671

Uh, no shit?

The writer assuming that this means 720p should also be the expectation is a little bit dumb though.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I could care less of what that guy thinks. He hasn't made a quality game in 10 years. To say he is out of touch with current gaming would be saying it nicely.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jay_ray

Next gen will be exactly like this gen with better graphics. Some games will run at 60, some 30, and some will get rates that drop into the 20 range.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Come on guys, we always knew that this was the most likely outcome, stop trying to fool yourselves. 30 frames per second is ALWAYS going to be the standard.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zippedbinders

Man, I don't give a fuck. I just want to play games.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By emem

I would prefer 720p with 60 fps over 1080p with 30 fps any day.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Bollard

That article is total bollocks, he never said that they would target 720p, just 30fps. I don't see how in any world targetting 30fps implies a resolution of only 720p. That author deserves a slapping.

In regards to his actual statement, yes that makes total sense. 30fps will still probably be the target, otherwise games won't look any better next gen than they already do... There is no fucking way consoles can be anywhere near $500 dollars and look better, run at 60fps AND be 1080p. One of those has to be cut, at least. And framerate is where it hurts least.

Get your expectations set right guys, or prepare to be disappointed.

@TheHBK said:

Except he never said that.

@Spoonman671 said:

Uh, no shit? The writer assuming that this means 720p should also be the expectation is a little bit dumb though.

This. People need to actually read the article and not just take whatever the author wrote as fact.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By landon

Smart developers will continue to find ways to makes games look and run well whether it be on a console, PC, or some sort of handheld device.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.