Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jak and Daxter Collection

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

A PlayStation 3 and Vita HD compilation of Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, and Jak 3.

Who has played Jak and Daxter?

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By CJduke

The Jak and Daxter games are some of my all time favorites, maybe my favorite video game trilogy of all time. My entire life I have never known anyone who has played any of them and back when they came out I wasn't "in the know" about what games everyone thought were cool or were playing on the internet. Now that the HD collection came out today, I was wondering who here has played the games and what you thought of them? Did everyone else think they were great? Are any of you planning on buying the HD collection?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

Dude, a ton of people have played Jak n Dax. My fave is Jak 3. Dunno if I'll buy the collection. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I've played 'em all. Thought the first was ok, the second was bloody awful, though the third was much better, and Jak X I think was garbage as well.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Own and have played them all multiple times!

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crono11

I love those games.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By management

It is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I'm gonna buy the collection as soon as it comes out here.

Then, I will find out if it is all just nostalgia or actually a good game.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By sawtooth

I thought the first was great for the time, the second seemed derivative and a little annoying but still fun, passed up 3.

Not getting the collection for now at least.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CJduke
    @Abyssfull said:

I've played 'em all. Thought the first was ok, the second was bloody awful, though the third was much better, and Jak X I think was garbage as well.

I'm curious as to why you thought the second one was awful. What about it did you not like? I thought it was a cool open world, with an awesome combination of platforming, driving and shooting. I thought the third game was just more of that same greatness, so I'm also wondering why you thought that one was better. Was it story related?

@Management said:

It is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I'm gonna buy the collection as soon as it comes out here.

Then, I will find out if it is all just nostalgia or actually a good game.

Awesome, I am also wondering if it was just nostalgia or not, but I don't think it is.
    InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InsidiousTuna

I played them all. Those games were incredibly popular, man. Quite good, too. Not sure how that combat will hold up in 2012, but I bet the Peacemaker's still dope.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

It's definitely one of my favorite series of all time. The main trilogy is incredible, with Jak 3 being my favorite. Jak X is possibly my favorite kart-racer (though they technically aren't karts), as well. 2 and 3 from a story-telling standpoint are exceedingly well done. ND put together a fantastic universe with these games, and I hope more than anything that they'll develop another sequel some day. Reading yesterday that they were actually considering another Jak game before The Last of Us was really depressing, but it sounds like the door is still open for future possibilities.

I won't be getting the HD collection simply because I don't have a PS3. Luckily I still own the trilogy, Jak X, and The Lost Frontier on PS2.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

Yes even Jak X. Jak 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, despite being insanely infuriating in parts (missile/sewers/ acrobating sequence in the air/on rails shooty section/robot tank attack...fuck you!)

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ltsmash

I've played all but the very first. If I had a a PS3 I'd definitely check out the HD versions.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hot_Karl

If Jak talks in a Jak & Daxter game, then it's a bad Jak & Daxter game.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By devilzrule27

Played them, loved them, will buy HD collection eventually. Just wish it included the two PSP games. Those were equally fun, especially Daxter.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MezZa

Played them all. It was one of my favorite franchises during the ps2 era.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CJduke
    @OneKillWonder_ said:

It's definitely one of my favorite series of all time. The main trilogy is incredible, with Jak 3 being my favorite. Jak X is possibly my favorite kart-racer (though they technically aren't karts), as well. 2 and 3 from a story-telling standpoint are exceedingly well done. ND put together a fantastic universe with these games, and I hope more than anything that they'll develop another sequel some day. Reading yesterday that they were actually considering another Jak game before The Last of Us was really depressing, but it sounds like the door is still open for future possibilities.

I won't be getting the HD collection simply because I don't have a PS3. Luckily I still own the trilogy, Jak X, and The Lost Frontier on PS2.

oh dammit! at least its good to hear that they are thinking about a fourth game (not counting lost frontier)@GunstarRed said:

Yes even Jak X. Jak 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, despite being insanely infuriating in parts (missile/sewers/ acrobating sequence in the air/on rails shooty section/robot tank attack...fuck you!)

I agree, 2 is my favorite. 3 is the best game overall, but the jump from 1 to 2 was just such an amazing gameplay switch it left quite an impression on me.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@CJduke: I should note that I played Jak 2 and 3 only a few months back, because I had been meaning to get into the series for a while now, but kept holding it off for one reason or another. Played the original Jak back when it was released since I got it with my ps2, liked it enough though I haven't played it since so... I might think that also sucks heading back in now.

But Jak 2... maybe it was totally awesome during its release, but it's a tough game to play in 2011 (when I played it). The combat is dreadful and uncoordinated--you can't aim your weapons and there aren't any kind of defensive abilities--leading to a lot frustration as you just clumsily shoot around hope for the best. You have melee attacks, but using them would only result in me simultaneously getting hit making them completely redundant. The driving is also horrendous, like some of the worst I've played in a while, and there are a lot of missions that force you to race against the clock ect. and the fragile vehicles, crowded air-space and poor controls lead to a lot of deaths. I like how there's literally no loading time for when you restart to a check point at least; Naughty Dog clearly knew people were going to die a lot in this game. The best parts of Jak 2 were the platform-centric puzzles within the tombs and such, all of that stuff was awesome--especially the homage to Crash Bandicoot as you were running away from the boulder as Daxter. But they were often so few and far between that it's hard for me to tally it up against everything else I hate about it.

The city's terribly drab with a dull aesthetic, and the story and characters were at best tolerable; Jak himself is also barely even a character who they should have stuck as a mute since everything he said in that ''badass'' voice of his only worked against him, and Daxter is... frankly, they need to invent a whole new word to best describe Daxter he's that bloody annoying. Not to mention the thing where he was apparently mooching on up to that blonde chick was... kinda creepy O_o.

As for why I prefer Jak 3, it's all because of the desert sections during the beginning. They have so much more life to them than the overbearing blobs of grey that Jak 2's city has. Plus driving in the karts and buggies is surprisingly fun--and not to mention those weird dinosaur mount tingymajigs. Combat is still dreadful, though. Also I must admit that I haven't actually completed Jak 3. I stopped playing soon after I returned to the city from Jak 2...

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, I liked the trilogy. Despite the "edgier" direction they took, I still thought the sequels were enjoyable. I do remember being frustrated with Jak 2, but I still thought it was a great game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved the first one, really did not like 2 at all. just hated that city and anything you had to do in it. i finish the vast majority of my games, but i gave up on that one. haven't played 3.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seesic

I played the first two when they came out and I really enjoyed them especially the first, it was my favorite. The third I borrowed from a friend about a month after it came out, it was alright I didn't enjoy it as much as the first even though it had a lot going for it. But the racing and the desert parts I specifically remember enjoying.

CocoaJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CocoaJackson

Well sheeyit, all this hate for Jak 2. First game I played in the series and I loved it to bits, despite never managing to get past those 4 walking bombs. Maybe it's just being willing to accept crap 'cause I was young.
    Played Jak & Daxter as well, but it was not my cup of tea at all. The world felt so... uninspired after Jak 2.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phantomzxro

played them briefly and liked them but for the most part never finished any of them. Would love a hd collection to get another crack at them like the sly copper games.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaneDev

Played the trilogy and thought they were pretty great. The first one was fairly straight forward and not really that memorable, in fact I remember pretty much nothing about that game apart form the house/town they lived in. The sequel was much more interesting and was genuinely great from what I remember, the third one was also really good. Jak 2 was the one which really impressed me though. I also remember those game looking really good especially Jak 3 and the vehicle bits were really good too. I am a bit hazy on the whole thing since I haven't played them in years.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By RobertOrri

First one was great, and one of the best PS2 platformers.

Second one was disappointing because of the pointless open world filled with dumb checkpoint races and other nonsense. Also, emo Jak that could talk and had a goatee. Ugh.

Third one was better, had a much more fun world to explore, but I never finished it.

I guess that fourth PSP/PS2 game didn't sell too well, huh? Sony's not been doing anything with this franchise, and yet they're making a Sly game for the PS3 (a franchise which as I understand it never sold nearly as well as the Jak games)... weird.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By spiceninja

Played all 3. They are some of my favorite games ever.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

*raises hand, does not remember enough about them to form a solid opinion*

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

1 was good, 2 was okay, 3 was pretty great. Daxter was also good.

I prefer Sly personal, had a better cast and was a lot more fun in my opinion.

Probably won't buy the HD Collection but I might replay a few of them since they'll probably be a hot topic for at least a week.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Devoid

Yo dawg, Naughty Dog games. Loved this series.

• Jak 1 was the reason I got a PS2, and I used to be able to bang out 100% playthroughs in <6 hours.
    • Jak 2 got really frustrating sometimes, but I still really enjoyed it and somehow managed to 100% it too.
    • Jak 3's pretty cool too, but I've never gotten to doing everything in the 3 or 4 times I've played through it.
    • Jak X is alright, though the main reason I'll tell you it's awesome is because of Queens of the Stone Age being in the intro.
    • Daxter on PSP was too damn short to be worth the money I spent on it (though that was my fault for buying it day 1).
    • ..And that last game, The Lost Frontier? The best part of that game is when you're flying around in those planes or whatever. The rest of the game was kinda meh.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

Yes, I played and loved them all back in the day. I actually picked them all up in quick succession in 2005 or 2006, I forget exactly which year.

I still have them and recently picked 2 and 3 back up. Note that the following is said with a large note of sadness, but I just don't think that 2 and 3 hold up that well. I once thought they were the better games, but the horrible aiming system and the bland or sometimes frustrating combat isn't up to par. The original holds up because it's a solid collecting platformer, a genre which hasn't evolved since then.

Do I still think they are worth playing? Yes, but they aren't as good as nostalgia might have you think.

EDIT: And Daxter is still the best bloody game on PSP, hands-down.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Anyone else here play Tak before?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Nope! And I plan to keep it that way! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nah, just kidding. Might play them some day. Maybe.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

i played one only. i never got to beat the game.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By huntad

I only played them a little. I have 1 and 3 though. Someday I'll get to playing Jak 1.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SlightConfuse
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I love them all but barely played them.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By habster3

The first Jak and Daxter was one of my first PS2 games; oh, the nostalgia... Anyway, J&D was one of my favorite game trilogies ever (2 was my favorite). I'm not sure if I'm getting this, but it's nice to know that Naughty Dog finally re-released these games

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TobbRobb

I FUCKING LOVE JAK AND DAXTER, I've 100% all of them "except Jak X and Last Frontier" and I've 100% the first one twice, almost thrice.

These games are my goddamn childhood. They are perfect in every way and I refuse to play them now just to keep thinking that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#38  Edited By Slag

Played and beat all three of the main games. Good series, best of the PS2 3d action platformer serieses imo (ratchet & clank, Sly etc).

I feel done with them though. if a Jak IV were to come out, I doubt I'd get it and I don't think I'll be getting the HD collection.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By DarthOrange
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I've been more of a Ratchet and Clank guy, to date. I will, however, admit that I have always had a fond spot for the Jak and Daxter games. Yes, even the disagreeable transition--made painfully clear in the second game--didn't perturb me to any noticeable degree. I mean, it's the whole Warrior Within type of deal: A game that does all it can to alter an already established character to make him more 'palatable' and in the process damage the fun and breezy feel of its predecessor. But, in the end, the gameplay holds the game together superbly and all transgressions are blithely forgotten. Hell, Jak X and Daxter are both fun games--despite the fact that they strayed from the proven formula.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

I played a lot of Jak 2 with my friends, but I never played the other titles. Jak 2 was really good though, I remember enjoying the freedom it had.

I might grab the HD collection later this year.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By landon

@TheWholeDamnShow said:

I've never played a Tak game, but I remember it feeling like the entire trilogy poped up in less than a year. Then there was that dumb tv show. Then Take sort of just faded away. No, no one played Tak.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Hizang

I have never played any of them, weird considering I love the RAC series. I will pick up the HD collection at some point though for sure, really interested in it.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By tebbit

Jak II is one of the best games ever made (though it probably hasn't aged well). I'll never forgive Naughty Dog for changing the voice actor for Kiera in 3 though.

NEVER.

thetolsonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thetolsonator

Played and beat all 3 games to 100% completion on the PS2 when they came out, will definitely pick this up as I have a PS3 without backwards compatibility :(

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

@Landon said:

@TheWholeDamnShow said:

I've never played a Tak game, but I remember it feeling like the entire trilogy poped up in less than a year. Then there was that dumb tv show. Then Take sort of just faded away. No, no one played Tak.

I LOVED THAT GAME!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By handlas

i've only beat Jak 2 I think. I ended up just payin the 15 bucks for Jak and Daxter instead of buying the bundle. Thinking I'll probably beat it and not wanna play Jak 2 anytime soon. The camera is getting on my nerves big time tho. Gets stuck on geometry a lot and/or pushed around by it. And not being able to really move it up and down is kinda odd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.