Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Injustice 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 16, 2017

When a new league of supervillains threatens alternate-universe Earth, it's up to Batman's crew of superheroes (and their shaky alliance with Superman's ruthless Regime) to stop them.

Gamepad or fightstick? Which do you think works better for this game?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Gamepad or fightstick? Which do you think works better for this game? (68 votes)

Mainly/only Gamepad 71%
    Mainly/only Fightstick 29%

I'm really not good at fighting games. Those endless combos and insane reaction times are just lost on me. It's superhuman to me and as much as I'd like to be apart of the insane fighting community, I don't know if that will ever happen. Last year I bought the complete edition of Mortal Kombat X. I LOVE that game so I decided to make a huge mistake and waste a lot of money on a fightstick for it...it now just collects dust. Every time I take that thing out and try to play with it, it's a shitshow. I'm so un-coordinated with it. I don't play with fight sticks so I just end up mashing buttons really and it's a mess.

I took it out once again to try with Injustice 2 and it's the same thing. My fingers don't know where they are and my brain doesn't work with it. I resort to my controller like a scrub again. Just like MKX, I love this game, but with all fighting games I enjoy, I can't help but think I'm missing out by not using a fight stick. It seems like IF I got good with it, it would seem more natural and easy with the movements and stuff. I'd be more efficient. But since sticks are alien to me, it doesn't happen.

What do you use for this? I hear netherrealm's recent outings are very controller friendly and I've even heard of big fighting game people PREFER a controller for these. I feel bad about being so bad with a stick though.

• 
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

Its about what you are used to, i didn't play many fighters at arcades so i am used to a dpad. I think the amount of buttons is perfect for a regular ps4 controller honestly, i have a hori fight commander(6 face button gamepad) and it works great for Street fighter but feels weird for this and mk. But anyway, with any controller you need to develop some muscle memory for it so dont expect to pick up a fight stick and instantly be god like if you are not used to fight sticks. For example when i got my steam controller it was super awkward for a couple weeks and now its as good as any pad i have(and great for a lot of m/kb games).

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By grandCurator

I've found most NRS games are super gamepad heavy versus a fight stick. Like, I own 2 sticks and I cannot play MK to save my life on them, largely because of the block button. As for Injustice, I recall it being hold back to block (a point in the stick's favor in most games, dunno bout this one). In the end, it comes down to preference. There are some folks in FGs that do way better with a pad and some that do way better with a stick. If you aren't comfy with it, don't use it.

@oursin_360 I might be an outlier because I never used a stick in arcades either but I picked up on using one instantly when I got my first one. Weird how that varies from person to person.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ripelivejam

fightsticks don't automatically make you better, just use whatever feels better to you. i'm playing with a fightstick mostly though, cuz they're rad (but yeah i may be better with a gamepad to be honest)

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been playing it on a gamepad, but I can't seem to get all my inputs right so I'll probably start using a stick.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To people using a stick, is there a particular way you've mapped your buttons?

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play all fighting games on stick, that said this game kinda feels unnatural on it. I have my layout below.

1 2 3 stance

trait meterburn Interactable throw

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What stick & console are you guys using? I have been thinking about picking one up for a while now even if games these days feel very natural on a controller.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Pad is better in general, however due to the input dropping glitch at least on PS4 stick/hitbox is probably technically superior until they patch it.

@alkusanagi:It's a bug.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Like MKX I believe the game was developed with gamepad as the main focus. I'll be using my TE2 with Tekken next month.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrostyRyan

I picked up my stick again and really had a good practice session with it today for this game. It's going really well now, actually.

I know this game was made for pad in mind but I'm maining Bane and he has a special movie that goes down back forward and I can't for the life of me do it quickly enough on the d-pad during combos. switched to stick and everything kinda works more smoothly now. I feel like the game has opened up.

It's a shame it's with this one though and not something like street fighter V...is that game good? Should I get it?

And does anyone play MKX on stick? I love that game but never got around to practicing with stick on it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

@frostyryan: I just started gorilla grodd recently and all of his non meter combo's are impossible for me right now, i can't cancel his stampede for the life of me. I also can't do his leap ability reliably at all, honestly the down back and another direction for distance moves have been the thing holding me back from these games since the new MK. Got me thinking about a fight stick but they are too much and seems like it will be a pay off for these games anyway. I really like grodd though but i feel like i am not making any progress.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@frostyryan@oursin_360 If you guys are playing on stick there is an "Alternative Controls" option that turns the direction inputs into Street Fighter-style sweeping moves. Might be worth a shot.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is that game good? Should I get it?

No and no.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Too much can go wrong with an arcade stick imo. I like them but really they are more trouble than they are worth unless you are building a cabinet or something.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunkulese

@berserk007: What exactly can go wrong on a stick that couldn't go wrong on a pad. Unless you're buying a really cheap stick or a knockoff pad, pretty much every input error is a user error.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nether realm games are the only ones that feel right with a gamepad to me

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: Yeah I saw that and tried it but not sure what the point is since the move registers with the sweeping diagonal inputs I do on the stick anyway? I would like to know if there are benefits to it I'm not realizing

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

@frostyryan: I kind of think the only difference is how they show the input on the moves list. It might actually make things worse if it requires the diagonal inputs.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think this game works better than most FG's on pad. I'm playing it on pad because I'm lazy and don't feel like digging out my arcade stick, but NRS games seem like they work well for pad for whatever reason. I don't even use the alternate controls and just do moves with quarter circles and they come out just fine.

@ivdamke said:
    @frostyryan said:

is that game good? Should I get it?

No and no.

Oh you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.