Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Idle Animations

Concept »

An Iconic concept of video games is the use of an idle animation for the players character, when during gameplay there's no control given. It's an example of emergent game design, and is used as a way to add depth to action characters.

What are some of your favorite idle animations?

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LoktarOgar

Good idle animations are, to me, one of those things that can set apart a good game from a great one, since it feels like polish. It's completely useless, and something no developer actually has to do, but seeing them put in the extra effort of adding one, or even better, more than one idle animation just warms my heart. The first thing I do whenever I start a new game is just stand there for a minute. Usually I'll get something, but sometimes there's nothing, and I spend the first 30 minutes feeling kinda depressed.

A short list of idle animation descriptions in some big (and some smaller) games can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_animations

But video footage is of course always better.

The one I always think first of whenever I think of idle animations, because it shocked the hell out of me, Raziel in Soul Reaver 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12IGdRIbuU

Looking on youtube, either I am completely looking the wrong way, or there is a disturbing lack of idle animation videos/compilations.

One good one I did find is this, Legion from Mass Effect 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzoedQ_ZQ8

As games get higher budgets and start looking better and better, I feel idle animations have developed as well, for better or worse. They look better, but feel less special, since these days everything uses a ton of animation. A good example is Uncharted. It looks amazing but at the same time it feels like Drake is doing an idle animation as soon as you leave him alone for a second. Of course, I can't deny that Uncharted is polished to hell and back, so I guess I'm kinda contradicting myself, but whatever.

Anyone else have any favorites? Or do you just not care/never leave the controls alone long enough to see them?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazielCuts

The classic Sonic 'Im waiting' tap foot or Earthworm Jim skipping with his body.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By MoonlightMoth

I love some of the Midna idle animations when she's riding wolf link in Twilight Princess.

jsuuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By jsuuun

Crash Bandicoot.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LoktarOgar

Crash Bandicoot? I don't remember what he does... juggle with wumpa fruits?

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@RazielCuts said:

The classic Sonic 'Im waiting' tap foot or Earthworm Jim skipping with his body.

That's the first one that came to mind for me, I'm not sure I remember any others.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

Mario has good one when he takes a nap.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I always liked Crash Bandicoot's idle animations. He did all sorts of stuff. He'd juggle with wumpa fruits, play with his yo-yo, do a weird dance thing. All sorts.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Djratchet

Crash Bandicoot. The yo-yo animation was always fun to see.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sonic tapping his foot, staring directly into the camera is just about as iconic an idle animation as there is. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.