Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Are you bothered by the lack of a character creator option like in Elder Scrolls games or Fallout?

• 91 results
    Avatar image for chrisndonnaplay
    ChrisNDonnaPlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you bothered by the lack of a character creator option like in Elder Scrolls games or Fallout? (482 votes)

No, I'm glad the game doesn't make me waste time customizing the complexities in my characters wrinkles or facial scars. 91%
    No, but I would have liked to have chosen between playing a male as apposed to a female character. 2%
    Yes, I think at least a slight amount of character customization would have added a little more personal uniqueness to the gameplay. 2%
    Yes, I wish I could have created and customized my character like you can in Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls games or Mass Effect. 3%
    Yes, I would at least like the option to make changes even if it's not as excessive as other titles 2%
     • 
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By Humanity

@ezekiel: I don't see how a change to his character skin that can be washed off during the numerous trips to Mother Base is somehow worse than a longer fight with the Sorrow? That morality system was barely even there and quite literally influenced almost nothing. It seems like such a weirdly inconsequential thing to get upset over - that your character in a stealth game will get blood on them if you don't play the game stealthily; its not even a permanent change, you have to REALLY work for it to get the big demon horn and unwashable blood, like really work hard for it, at which point I can only assume you want that look.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No not at all. But not for the reasons mentioned in this poll. This is the story of Aloy, as @stryker1121 mentioned. Aloy is a very specific character. That's who this game was designed around. So character customization would not be suitable.

That's my reason. I vote a flat no, but I don't agree with the "no because of customizing facial scars etc." I like all those parts of games. A lot. But its not this game nor was it designed to be.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Lazyimperial

Not at all. You are playing through the story of Aloy. Just like Joel in The Last of Us and John Marston in Red Dead Redemption.

I share this sentiment. :-) I'm enjoying Aloy's story and seeing this world through her eyes. I'm perfectly fine not having a blank slate avatar to graft myself onto (aka Skyrim) or a maleshep / femshep option. Didn't bother me in Red Dead Redemption, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Mafia 3, Styx, etc. and it doesn't bother me here. The developers having one permutation of the player character to focus on tends to help character-driven narratives, or so I think. :-P

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'd rather play as a character than an avatar.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Not played it and I generally like costumization but I voted no because I don't feel like this is a game like fallout. Having a focus on one character seems fine. She seems like a great character.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

Not played it yet, but no for most of the reasons already stated.

I like character creation a whole lot but it's just not a necessary or even appropriate feature for every game.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want everything to have character creation.

@soulcake said:

would you customize link ?

I'd love to.

ocelotfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

This, all day.

@cerberus3dog said:

Not at all. You are playing through the story of Aloy. Just like Joel in The Last of Us and John Marston in Red Dead Redemption.

Ditto. I also find it rewarding to play a game that focuses its attention on a primary female protagonist.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wouldn't change Geralt in the Witcher and I don't see any reason to change Aloy in this. Not every game, even big open world RPGs, needs character creation.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. Leaving aside the question of whether a crafted and coherent story is better than "choose your own adventure", I've never found in-depth facial construction systems at all necessary for immersion. Once you've done a nightmare gimmick creature for grins, you've done it. These days I just select the default character model and get on with the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

For this though, in a fuckin' heartbeat.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@soulcake said:

I think this is a bad comparison. Much as I think the very idea of customizing Aloy or Geralt is dumb, I'd be all for customizing Link. Link isn't a character, he's an avatar.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

I think this is actually a bad comparison because Link is such a blank slate character. The OP is more like asking "Would you customize Ezio?" or something.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Sackmanjones

The game was built for Aloy and her character is pivotal in the story, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

Where's the "No, because it's story about a specific character and it would make no sense to have a character creator" option.

I love a good character creator in a game built to allow you to forge your own protagonist in the world and story, but Horizon is not that game. It's much more Witcher than it is Elder Scrolls in terms of how it tells its story, how the main character is presented, and how much freedom the player is given to shape that character. Like The Witcher, you have the ability to choose Aloy's tone in some conversations, but she's still Aloy and you can never have her say or do anything that would be out of character, just as you can't with Geralt.

100% this.

100% 100% this.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ToySoldier83

Man this poll is not unbiased at all.

But no, no, no. More often than not I enjoy a game's story much more when the stories' protagonist is a set character with set features and personality and not a blank slate or avatar for myself. I don't need the power trip.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

Where's the "No, because it's story about a specific character and it would make no sense to have a character creator" option.

I love a good character creator in a game built to allow you to forge your own protagonist in the world and story, but Horizon is not that game. It's much more Witcher than it is Elder Scrolls in terms of how it tells its story, how the main character is presented, and how much freedom the player is given to shape that character. Like The Witcher, you have the ability to choose Aloy's tone in some conversations, but she's still Aloy and you can never have her say or do anything that would be out of character, just as you can't with Geralt.

100% this.

100% 100% this.

100% 100% 100% this.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By TobbRobb

No, Aloy is cool. What I would've made would be less cool.

EDIT: Also what that other guy said. In general I prefer a crafted character over a make my own. My avatars just inevitably end up being generic and become a face to put on a bunch of min/maxed stats and other mechanics garbage I focus on instead of whatever story I'm supposed to be improvising.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By nnickers

I forget about the Internet outside of Giantbomb sometimes. Is everyone else still mad that this game makes you play as a competent woman in appropriate clothing?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

@ezekiel: I don't see how a change to his character skin that can be washed off during the numerous trips to Mother Base is somehow worse than a longer fight with the Sorrow? That morality system was barely even there and quite literally influenced almost nothing. It seems like such a weirdly inconsequential thing to get upset over - that your character in a stealth game will get blood on them if you don't play the game stealthily; its not even a permanent change, you have to REALLY work for it to get the big demon horn and unwashable blood, like really work hard for it, at which point I can only assume you want that look.

It's good that the system in MGS3 influenced almost nothing. Morality systems have no place in stealth-ACTION military games. If you feel you need to kill in order to get through an area, stealthily or non-stealthily, then so be it. MGS was never pure stealth, and it has drifted more towards action over the years. Besides, stealth doesn't equal not killing. It looks awful. I don't remember how I got to this point where Snake is no longer playable. I remember kind of struggling with the game at the beginning. It's too much of a hassle to make him normal again. Anyway, it doesn't matter, since I finished the last of 50 missions last night and have also done all 157 side ops, mostly as alternate characters. There's no reason for me to play the game anymore.

Also, I don't go to mother base often. The loading screens and helicopters take too long.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

I forget about the Internet outside of Giantbomb sometimes. Is everyone else still mad that this game makes you play as a competent woman in appropriate clothing?

I don't think it's really been an issue. I'm sure there are some 13 year olds out there with that opinion, but in general I've not seen that complaint expressed genuinely. To be honest I've seen it used more as a strawman than I've seen actual examples of the sentiment.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? No, not at all. Nothing about this made me think it'd be that sort of game.

Do people have a problem with Aloy or something?

Shig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shig

There are games where I would feel a bit cheated by not having the option to create my PC, but Horizon isn't one of them.

It felt like Guerrilla had a story they wanted to tell, and a character they wanted to tell it with. I wasn't bothered at all with having to play as Aloy.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @humanity said:

It's good that the system in MGS3 influenced almost nothing. Morality systems have no place in stealth-ACTION military games. If you feel you need to kill in order to get through an area, stealthily or non-stealthily, then so be it. MGS was never pure stealth, and it has drifted more towards action over the years. Besides, stealth doesn't equal not killing. It looks awful. I don't remember how I got to this point where Snake is no longer playable. I remember kind of struggling with the game at the beginning. It's too much of a hassle to make him normal again. Anyway, it doesn't matter, since I finished the last of 50 missions last night and have also done all 157 side ops, mostly as alternate characters. There's no reason for me to play the game anymore.

Also, I don't go to mother base often. The loading screens and helicopters take too long.

The point of the game is that you're becoming a demon or whatever. and like humanity said, you have to work insanely hard to go full demon with unwashable blood. It basically won't happen unless you're trying to. That state doesn't just happen from playing the game normally. It's really not a big deal.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just kind of a pointless thread. Some games want you to create characters. Some don't. This is one that didn't. Aloy is a fully realized character.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with you here, I feel like the pollster is coming to this from a different angle and didn't even consider this perspective.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ezekiel

@frostyryan said:
    @ezekiel said:
    @humanity said:

The point of the game is that you're becoming a demon or whatever. and like humanity said, you have to work insanely hard to go full demon with unwashable blood. It basically won't happen unless you're trying to. That state doesn't just happen from playing the game normally. It's really not a big deal.

That bloody mess is your avatar. Of course it's a big deal.

It happens over time just by playing. Maybe twenty or thirty hours? I don't remember. The whole demon thing is pretty silly.

lunardroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By lunardroid

I really enjoy the character of Aloy. I, for one, don't really care for character creation so I'm kind of glad to see an open-world game that skips that.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in the least. From the prologue on it's so obviously about this girl's journey and having her with a pre-set face and voice worked great. In other games it's great; here, it went entirely unmissed.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of those options are just: no

ioanasima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I take character creation as it is. I even go ok with gender limitation. If I can't do it,that's it. No frustration, no complaints.

But, if I CAN do it...

It might take me up to an half an hour to tweak my character to fit in the shoes, especially when it's about serious role-play.And it's always serious role play :)

Oh, and I tweaked my Shepards with screenshots from previous games...

neurotic_ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By neurotic_ape

It's been said ad nauseum but I wanted to add my two cents: Horizon Zero Dawn is a mascot game. It's not just the story of Aloy. This is something along the lines of Sonic, Mario, Crash Bandicoot....up to Master Chief, Nathan Drake, and even Ryu Hayabusa. Etcetera etcetera.

When you play this game, you're playing a crafted story. The largest difference is that this game's made in such a way to capitalize on the popularity of open-world gaming instead of being a linear tale. If they allowed you to customize the character it would have taken away from the brand they were aiming to develop. It would have taken away from the empowering story of a woman and....all that entails within the story (don't want to name spoilers).

So no, I don't mind at all, and I in fact embrace Horizon Zero Dawn for all that it is and the design decisions that went into the character. They not only created a fascinating world, but a character you want to learn more of, and then care about.

This game is platform defining. And it's fitting to have an identifiable character.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 month old thread, I'm really surprised by the poll result so far. Didn't think people were so opposed to character creation. I hate starting a new game and having to design my character. Recently I started GTAV on my PS4 to play online just for the Micro Machines update but found I hadn't created a character yet so I just turned the damn thing off.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@rebel_scum: I don't think it's "people are opposed to character creation" as much as it is that people also like finely tuned stories/experiences with a defined main character. If I am going to play a game with a created character I want way more options at making my character actually my character, which Horizon doesn't do (and that's not a bad thing).

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog said:

This right here. This is what the overwhelming response is about and not an opposition to character creation.

And for me, personally, I'm getting a slight sexist vibe from the poll and have a feeling that we wouldn't have seen a thread like this if the protagonist in Horizon was male.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I personally hate character creation.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@cerberus3dog said:

This right here. This is what the overwhelming response is about and not an opposition to character creation.

And for me, personally, I'm getting a slight sexist vibe from the poll and have a feeling that we wouldn't have seen a thread like this if the protagonist in Horizon was male.

I would be inclined to agree if not for the OP apparently being an account shared by a couple.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story is focused on Aloy, so no.

JDP83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am just sad that character creator engines still haven't caught up to what Eve has had for more than 5 years at this point. I have no interest in playing Eve, but if they licensed that tech out to a bunch of other game companies, or hell, just character animator software suites in general, I'd be ecstatic. Even ZBrush would be improved by having character modelling tools that robust.

Loading Video...

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, always and forever. Just hair style or clothing, anything. Give me something to modify!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.