Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halloween

Concept »

A night of ghost, ghouls, costumes, and candy. Some video games are based around this holiday, while others simply pay it respect with special levels or characters that embody the spirit of All Hallows' Eve.

Welcome to Shocktober 2014

• 185 results
    WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You should totally do something like Cinemassacre's Monster Madness! 3-4 minute video reviews of a few classic movies.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Aw you cut Oculus? I watched that a few weeks ago and it was really good, check it out if you haven't seen it.

Mechageekzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By Mechageekzilla

I would love to hear some GB horror podcasts

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jiggaboojeeves: I've actually been paying $5 to watch Drew Scanlon envelop himself in Metal Gear but "premium blog posts" critiquing a genre that I love are a nice aside, at least in my opinion. Glad you're still bothering to post on the forums here though!

@bonorbitz when you put it that way, it IS pretty silly that a word of spanish origin is being uttered by some demon oriental creature thing and it kinda does detract from it as a whole, but like you, I thought it was still the best segment of an otherwise disappointing film. I can't believe some prefer VHS 2 either. That first entry was so fucking strong. Even when it was at it's worst (Tuesday the 17th), it was at least interesting. Not only that, but it managed to stick to the lo-fi aesthetic which the two sequels COMPLETELY fail to do.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't Bad Milo and Escape from Tomorrow on last year list too? I could swear i watched at least the former after noticing it on last year shocktober list

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek presumably that's "Martyrs" not "Martrys" which was a terrifically, awfully disturbing flick with a great twist.

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

October has to be the best month of the year; you've got candy, horror movies, and a deluge of new video games, common.

Enjoyed doing this last year, going to try to concentrate on movies I haven't seen yet as opposed to old favorites, but I might break down at some point.

So many people have good things to say about Kill List, I'm psyched its on Netflix.

So far I've watched The Collection, which...isn't that great. A mix of gore, torture stuff, action movie bruhaha, its really all over the place. Theres a few funny cameos though, an actor from the HBO show Oz and another from The Wire play mercenaries. I still can't figure out why it's acceptable to shoot a homeless guy as a way to summon the police.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck, I want to see horns so bad, but I want it on DVD or bluray to enjoy it more. Also there are no cinemas near me, closest is like a 2-3 hour drive away. Also VHS viral or whatever it's called looks good. Thanks for doing this each year Patrick, you always find some good movies.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Sinusoidal

Well, I just watched "Coherence" because of this list and surprisingly high reviews on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes and it sucks. Five minutes into it and I wanted everyone to die horribly, unfortunately they don't and you have to endure another 112 minutes of them being quite possibly the most unlikable cast of irrational shitheads put to film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all the love for Kill List bit surprised no-ones mentioned Sightseers? Great film. And a big plus one for A Field in England if you like trippy madness.

Honestly don't think Ben Wheatley can do any wrong, he's one of the most interesting British directors working right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coldman: Triangle is one of my favourite horror films. If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat.

MonkeysDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#163  Edited By MonkeysDad

@pinner458: I'm with you, the end of "The Borderlands" has stuck with me for the last two months.

Only other movie that's ever got to me like that was Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers".

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill List is definitely something else and I'm saying that in the best way possible.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Saw this movie Satan's Little Helper on Netflix the other day. Terrible movie but entertaining.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek Have you seen the trailers for The Babadook? Been getting rave reviews and looks damned unsettling to boot:

Loading Video...

Yeah, Babadook looks incredible. Sadly, it comes out here at the end of November...

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also when people suggest House they mean the 2008 film?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By VierasTalo

It screened here in the Helsinki International Film Festival. It probably isn't the film anyone would expect based on that trailer. That being said, it's still brilliant. A very, very sharp script and a new horror icon being born (not in the Babadook-monster mind you, but the lead, Essie Davis). I'll be disappointed if her performance isn't up there with Mia Farrow's in Rosemary's Baby and the likes in twenty or so years.

Oh, I totally checked out Beneath yesterday. Was quite the stinker, never sure what it wants to be, or more importantly, when it wants to be what. The whole thing is kinda laid out to you within minutes of the collapse happening, so after that you just kinda follow what happens. It never gets tense, and there's like one scene that is just barely claustrophobic. The camera work is about as shaky and poorly cut as in the director's prior film, the god-awful STV-sequel 30 Days of Night: Dark Days.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#169  Edited By crithon

well..... that's not a good list. Possession is probably the best movie out of them. Bad Milo looks a lot of fun for it's campy nature. I prefer making my october films Classic horror films I should know about but I miss.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ikilledthedj

Just to add my two cents to the list. This new Aussie horror is defiantly on my list!

The babadook

http://youtu.be/RQ8iDpVzhwo

If you find yourself liking the trailer turn it off and find it ( I think it's heading to VOD in the states in the next week or so ?)I feel that horror movies are spoiled way to easy

Edit: sorry for the bad link I'm on an ipad

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

This is a terrible idea for any year. At least it is if you don't work out of your house. No human brain should be exposed to so many creature features or ghost stories with such frequency. Whatever makes you happy Tricky. Good luck making it to Halloween with your wits intact.

Not everyone is psychologically affected by horror films ;)

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which Alien Abduction movie did you recommend? There is one from 2005 and 2014.

JesterPC238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek I forget, have you had Phantasm on one of these lists? It's on mine this year, you should see it if you haven't. Also kudos to putting Halloween on the list. I feel that it remains the best film to watch in Shocktober :).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have been debating mentioning this, but I think I will anyway. Hopefully it's not frowned upon.

My dad passed away earlier this year, but before he did he was in a few movies. One of them got a release a week or so ago. I'll be watching it on top of the other stuff I'm watching in his memory (probably every year for the rest of my life) and I just want to put the trailer up for that too.

I'm sorry for shilling so blatantly, but I couldn't think of a way to post a blog in which I mention it, so putting here as a reply seems the only apt place to put it. I know I'm basically shilling here but at least give the trailer a watch to see if it strikes yer fancy. It should be noted that the trailer has gore.

Loading Video...

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick will you see the semi sequel to The Town That Dreaded Sundown? it comes out on the 16th.

Nocturnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you, Patrick! I found at least +10 I wanted to watch!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm doing the whole October thing a little different this year. Keeping it simple, I will watch the entirety of Twin Peaks this month.

Loading Video...
    Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@hassun: That sounds like a great idea. I actually watched it for the first time a couple months ago and really enjoyed it.

Anyways, this blog really helped me pick out some great stuff to watch this month. A few of these might actually get me to go to the theater. Something I don't tend to do a whole lot. So, thanks Patrick!

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill List definitely had a jarring effect on me, I'd chalk a lot of it up to the music and sound effects which reminded me a lot of what Kubrick did in the more surreal parts of his movies.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched The Loved Ones. Hoooly shit, that was really good.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#181  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@patrickklepek Just curious, but have you ever seen In the Mouth of Madness?

Loading Video...

If you have, I was wondering what you thought of it. It is probably my third favorite John Carpenter film.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By handlas

Watched Honeymoon because of this post. Was quite good and different. Didn't know what to expect; figured it out halfway through (or at least as much as you can) but it was still entertaining throughout. I'd recommend it.

And I just now watched the entire trailer. Yes, do NOT watch the trailer or else you basically know everything about the movie. What a terrible trailer.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay so I saw You're Next and came away pretty disappointed. Ignoring some terrible acting from multiple people, the writing was sometimes distractingly bad, and their decisions really annoyed me. I kept hearing how it got better towards the second half but it didn't get good enough to call this a quality movie. I did enjoy getting a different POV at certain points and it got less scary and more fun towards the end which I enjoyed also. Still, guys if someone is killed in a room upstairs CHECK THE FUCKING HOUSE. And if you see a killer and decide the best decision is to run away screaming have the decency to tell your husband and other family members as you run out the door. I swear there were times in this movie where I thought they were trying to do a parody ala Cabin in the Woods.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure that Twin Peaks counts as "horror". But then does something like American Horror Story seems more like a proper horror tv show.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By hassun

@hassun: Well this is a coincidence:

Loading Video...

nonekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I've rewatched Alien (still makes my heart rate go up after 5+ viewings), The Pact (okay-ish supernatural low-budget thriller), The Tall Man (thought it would be a horror movie, it was not, don't see this movie, it was awful), The Caller (another low-budget netflix'er, t'was pretty good though not very scary) and Coherence (thumbs up, felt like a Twilight Zone episode, in a good way).

Avatar image for euler_riemann_zeta
    Euler_Riemann_Zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, There goes my plans for October. I want to get back into the Horror genre, and this seems like the perfect way to do that, so thanks Patrick! I will probably watch the Shining instead on Halloween night, though. I love that movie so goddamn much. I might watch Suspiria at some point too.

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far (all these on Netflix instant):

1 The Collection (2012) : Average horror/action with some dumb/funny moments.

2 All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) : Terrible Slasher movie filled with awful people who all die for some reason. Everyone is obsessed with Mandy Lane including the director, a lot of embarrassing slow motion shots of her. Much discussion of "dibs" on Mandy Lane. It's really a relief when they all die.

3 Kill List (2011) A good atmospheric thriller, recommended, one of those movies that can be easily spoiled so nothing else.

4 Carrie (2013) Not a terrible remake of Stephen King's Carrie, a bit puzzling why it was made. The Poltergeist style ending is super dumb.

5 Shivers (1975) David Cronenberg's first movie. Once it gets rolling is extremely disturbing. Parasite-Sex-Zombies scariest type of zombie ever.

6 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) Creepy thriller, recommended. Amazing how well the effects have aged, I like how the pods have these thin fibrous tendrils that look like hair. That turkish bath/mud spa whatever the hell it was made my skin crawl. Young Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and youngish Lenard Nemoy.

7 The Awakening (2011) Slow paced ghost story with a lot of twists. Loved that scene with the doll house that slowly sped up until the scare.

8 Thale (2012) Norwegian paranomal thriller, not bad. Two guys are cleaning up a dead man's house and find what might be a supernatural creature.

Lord_Anime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@patrickklepek I'm not sure if these were already mentioned. But of recent memory horror films that I really enjoyed and I thought used different pulls or took angles less traveled. The Shrine & Grave Encounters come to mind.

The Shrine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mpiuO0F01o

The Pull - The trailer is awful btw, just ignore it. American/British journalism crew travels to Poland to investigate weird rumored murders/disappearances. The pull of the film is they do no subtitled the townsfolk speaking in Polish. So in situations were they the townsfolk are discussing the americans, both the characters and the audience have the dred of "what are they talking about!?!". Also being a horror buff, hard to scare, I liked it and it being a quick 93m worth watching.

Grave Encounters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FBRATbJoA

The Pull - A cast of characters that act rational and make good decisions, except the malevolent evil force screws them over at every turn. It's great to see a movie where the evil assailing the characters is the real challenge to their survival, not the characters lack of basic common sense and survival skills. It takes a little while to get setup but once the horror starts it doesn't stop till the film is over. Running at 92m, very worth watching. Rotten Tomatoes is wrong about this movie.

chrispti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

horror podcast with rorie and alex asap please. great list.

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kill List and Coherence are both not horror films! I may have picked the worst movies to watch from Patrick's list.

KyleBsure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By KyleBsure

Swap VHS Viral for the directors cut of NIGHTBREED.

Given recent events I'm sure you'll see why this film is more relevant today than it was when it was released.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.