Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

What do you want (or expect there to be) in Half Life 3? (topic five years old)

• 57 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NTM

@zolroyce: I didn't really love Doom, but it wasn't because there wasn't iron sights. To me, the enemies weren't reactionary enough when you shot them. They animate well otherwise, but when you shoot them, they don't really react to the shot in a way that was satisfying to me. The enjoyment I think comes from dodging their attacks, and just staying alive, which isn't really something that I cared for honestly. The best thing to me in Doom was some of the voice work. I didn't really think about it, but since it's been so long that a Doom has been out, in hindsight, the game was pretty disappointing to me, and I struggled to want to get through it. I think Half Life needs it now, at least to me; it's all I imagine that would make it feel much better than it is. I'm not really saying it should be like COD though, that would kind of just be disappointing, but in some way, it needs to be implemented. Heck, if it was more like Dark Athena (maybe with a lean, because why not), that would be cool to me. I don't think no iron sights in a Valve game is so much a way they love to design their games, it's just a way they made games at the time, and how necessary it was (for instance, Left 4 Dead). Oh, and I should say, about Doom, I enjoyed the original Doom, and I really like Brutal Doom, so I understand why people like the new one when they say that the new one seems like the developers knew what the fans of the old ones liked. I thought the original Doom felt a lot better, and still does.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Free to play. I'm with Independence Day's Will Smith on this, Valve will release the game free to play, and also with no fanfare. It will appear on the store one day. Also, VR exclusive.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this game is ever made, it is going to be a disappointment.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ezekiel

Leave City 17. We've seen enough of it between the three games. I don't have huge expectations. Just be a worthy sequel that doesn't borrow from modern gaming too much. I'd be annoyed if it had iron sights and a lot of scripted moments that take control from you and only allowed you to sprint forward.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I want iron sights, I'd be annoyed if there wasn't any. Though I agree, there doesn't need to be scripted moments. The way it has been is ideal.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had honestly stopped thinking about Half Life 3 in the last couple of years.

I guess I would want it to not be VR exclusive.Anything else they do is fine.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Ezekiel

@ntm said:

@ezekiel: I want iron sights, I'd be annoyed if there wasn't any. Though I agree, there doesn't need to be scripted moments. The way it has been is ideal.

You have 500 other games for iron sights. I don't want aiming down sights because it slows everything down and doesn't make sense, the way it is now. To partially quote myself...

Typically, the dot in the center of the screen isn't wobbling and the character is keeping their arm raised and steady. The character is always keeping their arms and eyes/head perfectly synced, so what use do they have for iron sights? All ADS does is create artificial inaccuracy (when shooting "from the hip") to justify itself. The bullet misses even though you know the barrel is pointed directly at the target. I don't want to constantly be pulling the sights up, usually magically (and disorientingly) zooming the picture as well, to shoot worth a damn. Like I said, it slows down the combat, and it's really overdone. The hand on your mouse, the (dot on the) center of the screen and your own eyes are already representative of aiming down sights in real life. Devs should find a more realistic way to do ADS if they're gonna include it. Half-Life doesn't need it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: If Half Life 3 stayed as the series always has, it'd feel too archaic to me. I didn't say it had to be full on iron sights like Call of Duty, I'd just like the feeling of pulling the left trigger and getting a different animation, and a bit of zoom, maybe similar to Dark Athena or F.E.A.R. I don't need realistic. Just because '500 other games' have iron sights, doesn't make Half Life feel any better. Half Life to me isn't necessarily that fast, so there's not much to slow down; it fits fine. It was a good implementation into shooters, even if it does feel samey now. Just because Half Life has it, doesn't mean it's worse for it. The feeling is what counts, it's not really about the accuracy, so it is possible to make it so aiming down the site is just as accurate as shooting from the hip, which I think is what they did with Halo 5.

Furthermore, I don't want a fast-paced Half Life game, at least, not for the most part. A gun to the side of the screen is not a good representation of realistic aiming either, so I don't really agree that that's more akin to reality at all, though I agree that it doesn't make sense that a gun zooms in when you use iron sights. I don't think it necessarily has to either (as in, I don't think developers need to make it zoom in, unless it's a sniper or something). I get what you mean by basically all games having it and being tired of it, but now, I'd just be disappointed if Half Life stayed in the past in that respect. Half Life 3 needs to be something new than what it was, if only slightly here and there.

I'd love a mod that implements iron sights on all HL2 weapons. There are old games that don't need it (older than HL2), but going back to Half Life 2 specifically, it's harder to enjoy than it used to be for me mainly due to that specific reason.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ezekiel

I didn't say that having a gun in the bottom right is more akin to reality, but it does make more sense in a game. It's one of those things where I think a game should accept what it is. We don't have perfectly rectangular vision with a dot in the center in real life, and our arms aren't locked to the movements of our eyes. We also don't wear HEV suits with targeting systems/HUDs. It's useless in a game. You say the accuracy doesn't have to be ruined when firing from the hip, but that's almost never the case. It's almost always gimped to the point that firing from the hip is only useful when the target is very close, regardless of where the barrel is pointing. And it's obtrusive most of the time. I'd rather have HL3 create its own new things that befit it instead of borrowing from lesser games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.