Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

So, don't freak out but maybe, just maybe...Half Life 3

• 61 results
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RsistncE

@Gamer_152 said:

I'm not saying there's no chance of HL3 being announced at E3 but you're right to tell people to be calm, we know how this goes by now. Valve have confirmed that there is currently no HL3 ARG going on and I'm not sure which ARG Twitter account you're talking about but if you mean Doug Rattmann's one, that was confirmed to have been set up by a fan at the end of the last ARG. As for the HL3 t-shirts I suspect they're a joke, and while Gabe has said they'll be announcing something with a three in it at E3 this year (which is very exciting news whatever it is) that doesn't mean Half-Life 3.

There's really only three games (hehe) that could be released with a "3" in the title:

1. Team Fortress 3
    2. Portal 3
    3. Half-Life 3/Episode 3

Team Fortress 3 is automatically out. Valve is big on developing online communities and letting them stew over LONG periods of time. Left 4 Dead 2 was the only exception to this rule, but it really wasn't an online competitive game, it was a co-operative one, and even with that game they ended up merging content. Portal 3 is also out, since there was a four year gap between Portals 1 and 2; to announce Portal 3 at E3 would mean that it either isn't a new game in the series with full narrative or they're just crazy because there's no way that game would come out within the next two years anyways. That really only leaves Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3), a game which we know has been in development in some manner since 2004. Combined with the fact that Gabe responded to the email from 4chan (which was filled with HL references) with, "I don't suppose it will ease your wrath if I told you we're announcing all your favourite things at E3 2012?" and also later tweeted that the announcement would have a "3" in it (fully knowing that Half-Life fans are only going to take that number as meaning one thing), I'm going to have to say that all arrows are pointing at a Half-Life 3/Episode 3 announcement.

Of course, that doesn't mean we'll get the game anytime soon.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@RsistncE: You make some compelling arguments but I don't entirely agree. I think you're right about Portal 3 being out, the gap between Portal 1 and 2 isn't necessary directly reflective of the gap between 2 and 3 but it seems way too early for a Portal sequel. As for Team Fortress 2 I don't think it's time to rule out the announcement of a TF3, it's been over four years since TF2 was released and while Valve are still supporting it, even for a game with a thriving online community like that one I don't think it's out of the question that we could see a new Team Fortress announced soon. I don't think the content of the email that 4channer sent to him has any real baring on what the announced game will be but the email didn't just make reference to Half-Life, it also made reference to Left 4 Dead and TF2. In fact unless I'm missing something couldn't the new announcement also be a Left 4 Dead 3? Again, I'm not saying a HL3 announcement next year is completely out of the question but I think it's taking it a bit far to say that all arrows are pointing at it. Of course there is the outside chance that Gabe was just trolling the 4channer who insulted him and we're blowing this way out of proportion,

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By jakob187

@Claude said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Claude said:

Fuck that. Be honest and say, hey, episodic content was full of shit, now here's your fucking game. I don't care anymore. Keep making your money valve. You don't care about me anymore.

It's gonna be alright. They gonna treat you right, babydoll. Just lay right down and play them vidya games they're throwing at you.

Valve is still making Video Games? Could have fooled me. Portal 2 wasn't enough. All the TF2 updates I didn't want or cared to play. I didn't like Left for Dead or its afterlife. I want Half Life. I was promised much more and got nothing. I forget, what was Half Life again, it's been so long.

It's the game that had monsters which latched onto your face and forced you to give them a blowjob.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By RsistncE

@Gamer_152: Admittedly, I am being hopeful since I'm a massive Half-Life fan.

I'd also rule out TF3 simply because they're pushing CS:GO out right now, with their target being the first half of 2012. I highly doubt they'd want to throw out two games from each of their major multiplayer series at around the same time, or even announce them in such a manner. This is Valve, a company that goes quiet for sometimes years at a time. Unless they've decided that they want to cut down dev times and start moving towards a more frequent release schedule, I can't see that happening.

In all honesty, I think Left 4 Dead 3 is the only wild card, but even then I don't want to believe it. They've already released two Left 4 Dead games in the past 3 years, I just can't see another one being out so soon, but that's the optimist in me talking. I wholeheartedly believe that it's going to be Half-Life 3.

And when Valve doesn't announce it, I'm going to throw my PC out of my 5th story window.

EDIT: Also, Gabe's language in his email response ("ALL of your favourite things") suggests that we might be looking at multiple announcements, or maybe the announcement of an "Orange Box 2".

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @RsistncE: I really loved Half-Life 2 as well and will be very eager for 3, but I think that is be more reason to be sceptical about this. Every now and then the HL3 rumours or speculation bubble up and everyone too quick to expect Valve to announce something walks away disappointed. You said it yourself, you whole-heartedly believe the HL3 is going to be announced but if it doesn't happen you're going to go ape-shit. I see what you're saying about Global Offensive but I still think Counter-Strike and Team Fortress are significantly different games both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics, I don't think that TF3 and CS: GO being out at the same time would cause a huge clash. As for how Half-Life 3 will be announced exactly, that's still something we don't really know. It is interesting that Gabe said "all of your favourite things" but that's still a rather vague phrase, I don't think this one tweet and this one brief message to a 4chan member constitute a 100% guarantee of a new Half-Life sequel.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Brians

Half Life A series I tried to late and developed no love for.

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SuperZamrod

To the people saying they don't care about Half Life anymore. I guarantee once the first (undoubtedly cool) trailer roles around you'll all be back on board. Guaranteed.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Toxin066
    Montezuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Montezuma
    Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Brendan

I don't care, as good as it is, it's still just one video game series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.