Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #150: Half-Life 2

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Two blogs in two days? Madness.

Full List of Games

No Caption Provided

#150: Half-Life 2

Platform(s): PC, 360, PS3, Mac
    Release: 2004
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman' - G-Man
    GB Wiki Page  

My love for Half-Life 2 is kind of weird, I find remembering the times I played the game more enjoyable then when I'm actually playing it. That isn't a bad point against it but just something that I've always found strange and hard to explain. I always get frustrated by the unnecessarily long boat sequence, at times poor enemy AI and those damn black headcrabs! But as the final battle finishes and you see the G-Man once again, I get filled with a sense of joy from the amazing gaming experience I had.

Let there be no confusion, I think Half-Life 2 is a phenomenal game. At times everyone thought that the game might never come out given how long it had been in development but in the end Valve showed us why they're considered as a top-tier developer. They'd hit a home run in nearly every department whether it be graphics, gameplay or story. Gordon Freeman was back and better than ever.

What I like most about HL2 is the pacing. Apart from the boat section the game always keeps you going at a steady pace. Things start off a bit slowly but then they have to, you're 20 years in the future so of course you want to know what's going on and who these Combine folks are (although that makes repeat playthroughs a bit boring at times). I like that Gordon is on one continuous journey and that he doesn't get any proper breaks or chances to rest. He has to keep going and he hasn't really got a choice in the matter but at least this time he's got a few more friends along the way. Alyx ranks among the best NPC companions ever both in terms of dialogue and her AI, Eli is a sagely and caring father figure, Dr. Kleiner is the comic relief and G-Man is as much of a mystery as ever.

Unlike others, I never thought HL2 was as revolutionary as the first game. What it did do was push the genre forward and continue to be a bencmark for many shooters to come. Even if the current trend is towards more fast-paced FPSs like Modern Warfare and Halo, the big sellers of the last decade, I will always prefer the Half-Life style of gameplay.

150 down 215 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Two blogs in two days? Madness.

Full List of Games

No Caption Provided

#150: Half-Life 2

Platform(s): PC, 360, PS3, Mac
    Release: 2004
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman' - G-Man
    GB Wiki Page  

My love for Half-Life 2 is kind of weird, I find remembering the times I played the game more enjoyable then when I'm actually playing it. That isn't a bad point against it but just something that I've always found strange and hard to explain. I always get frustrated by the unnecessarily long boat sequence, at times poor enemy AI and those damn black headcrabs! But as the final battle finishes and you see the G-Man once again, I get filled with a sense of joy from the amazing gaming experience I had.

Let there be no confusion, I think Half-Life 2 is a phenomenal game. At times everyone thought that the game might never come out given how long it had been in development but in the end Valve showed us why they're considered as a top-tier developer. They'd hit a home run in nearly every department whether it be graphics, gameplay or story. Gordon Freeman was back and better than ever.

What I like most about HL2 is the pacing. Apart from the boat section the game always keeps you going at a steady pace. Things start off a bit slowly but then they have to, you're 20 years in the future so of course you want to know what's going on and who these Combine folks are (although that makes repeat playthroughs a bit boring at times). I like that Gordon is on one continuous journey and that he doesn't get any proper breaks or chances to rest. He has to keep going and he hasn't really got a choice in the matter but at least this time he's got a few more friends along the way. Alyx ranks among the best NPC companions ever both in terms of dialogue and her AI, Eli is a sagely and caring father figure, Dr. Kleiner is the comic relief and G-Man is as much of a mystery as ever.

Unlike others, I never thought HL2 was as revolutionary as the first game. What it did do was push the genre forward and continue to be a bencmark for many shooters to come. Even if the current trend is towards more fast-paced FPSs like Modern Warfare and Halo, the big sellers of the last decade, I will always prefer the Half-Life style of gameplay.

150 down 215 to go.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Half-Life 2 definitely warrants its own post without any other games in it =)

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By demontium

150 =/= 149 

good list though.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mracoon
    @demontium said:
    " 150 =/= 149  good list though. "
    What? I did #149 yesterday.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By matthew
    @mracoon: I bet I'll be able to break even with the boys in my Breakdown before you get to your number 1 . . .
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Hamz

The defining piece I remember most fondly from Half-Life 2 for me was Alyx Vance and how as an NPC she felt more alive and real than had been seen or done in a game before. The level of detail put into creating a personality that was believable. Body movement that felt fluid and real while her facial expressions genuinely conveyed emotion to a higher degree than was seen before in any video game NPC.

That for me was the masterpiece from Half-Life 2, the ability to show gamers that NPCs could become meaningful characters with genuine personality that goes beyond simply being a quest giving robot.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By demontium
    @mracoon:  

"#149: Half-Life 2"

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By tmthomsen
    @Hamz:  Having replayed the game recently, it amazed me how great the facial animations still are compared to newer games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.