Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 20, 2014

The fifth main installment of the Guilty Gear series returns to its fighting game roots, featuring a new game engine with 3D graphics (with special rendering techniques to give the illusion of hand-drawn character art).

Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- Announced

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

If you haven't heard (or expected) this already, GGXrd is getting a title update under the name "Revelator," adding two characters: Johnny (well, he was in the game before, but playable now) and some new lady (in silhouette so far) named "Jack-O." The update is going to be tested in Japanese arcades for two weeks starting June 5th, with no timetable yet for a console release, but be prepared to shell out an extra $40 if and when it does come out.

Still waiting for the version with Baiken, but this is pretty good news, unless you live in Europe and have been waiting super-patiently for Xrd to officially launch in your area only to hear it will be obsolete in a couple of days.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to figure out what Jack-O's name is supposed to be a reference for. The easy answer would be Michael Jackson but he's not very METAL so I doubt it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

No thank you. I think after blazeblue and the previous guilty gear games i learned to wait till the third iteration before buying. Between the game itself and dlc it's pretty expensive. If this was a 20 dollar addon patch I probably wouldn't mind as much.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Would have totally put my money down on at least getting Johnny, DIzzy, and Gabriel...but I guess we need some more waifu-bait for some reason. uuuuuuugh it's just that stylistically, I think Jack-O looks super fucking boring. Maybe she'll be super interesting to play, so I guess it's sorta whatever at the end of the day, but nothing will make me like the way she looks. Different stroke for different folks I suppose.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dochaus said:

Trying to figure out what Jack-O's name is supposed to be a reference for. The easy answer would be Michael Jackson but he's not very METAL so I doubt it.

I think Michael Jackson is still the likely reference since there's plenty of non-metal references from the million and one Queen references, to a character being named after Swedish pop group ABBA.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@l1ghtn1n said:

They actually showed off the new character in Famitsu which is supposed to have more details when the full issue comes out.

I liked Xrd but already announcing a new version less than 6 months after it came out is a bit of a bummer, I know it's par for the course for ArcSys but still.

It came out Feb. 2014 in Arcades so more like a year and a half between versions.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hadoken101: good point, forgot about some of the non-metal references with Ishiwatari's love of metal in the OST.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@i_stay_puft: Technically XX has five followups and Blazblue has four.

The more the follwups, the less consistent competition, the more overall experience for players who kept on playing and less likely new players to win matches against the experienced.

Waiting might not be best unless you can catch up easily.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Maybe this version will see a release in Europe.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksukeru: Well at least you can technically download the Japanese or US builds.

I do understand the problems of Arc System Works games having problems releasing in Europe. Did Persona 4 Arena Ultimax even come there?

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By cettu

@thephantomnaut: It did, and just two months behind the NA release that time, which was a massive improvement over the first game's infamous, delayed launch.

I was hoping something like that'd never happen again but here we are in 2015 and Xrd was finally released in Europe today, six months after the US. @jacksukeru must've missed the big news!

The news of this update must be a massive bummer for those who chose not to import a copy!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@cettu: I did miss that. Neat.

I'm gonna go buy it now.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might be a dumb question but will there be any substantial gameplay or graphical changes to the game or is it just Xrd with 3 new characters? And do you think they'd do any sort of add-on deal for the update if you got the original game? I don't mean to sound so naive but it hasn't been very long since the Xrd console release...

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technician said:

Might be a dumb question but will there be any substantial gameplay or graphical changes to the game or is it just Xrd with 3 new characters? And do you think they'd do any sort of add-on deal for the update if you got the original game? I don't mean to sound so naive but it hasn't been very long since the Xrd console release...

There are probably gonna be changes similar to the most recent update to Sign such as being able to blitz shield projectiles but as for new mechanics, very likely not. To GG players, character balance can be considered substantial since it can affect their character's design and matchups against others.

It will be another Xrd that plays like Xrd but with specific changes and newer content.

Arc System Works never really offered deals for owning a previous version since most of their releases are considered separate products. Blazblue had an exception I believe during Continuum Shift because of a couple of newer characters but that was DLC instead of being something like Extend. ASW is also known for releasing console builds later down the line only for the next version to be announced for arcades a bit after because it's their focus.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Still no Baiken? All I ask is for Baiken. Please?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I think no matter when you buy a version of an Arcsys fighting game, you're going to have the next iteration coming out a year later. If you buy in with the 3rd version, either there'll be a 4th version later, or a new game in the series.

Really depends on how much you want to play the game. Want to have fun with friends? Play whatever the cheapest one is, or get the newest one and just play that forever. Want to try and be the best? Do what the series' fans do, keep buying the game over and over again, and when you're 2+ years in and a couple versions of the game in, you'll achieve some kind of competency.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.