Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 20, 2014

The fifth main installment of the Guilty Gear series returns to its fighting game roots, featuring a new game engine with 3D graphics (with special rendering techniques to give the illusion of hand-drawn character art).

Confirmed for the PS4 and PS3 + 2 new characters

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

During SCEJ's pre-TGS conference that ended moments ago, Guilty Gear Xrd was confirmed as a PS4 title.

It also showed off two new characters: Axl and I-No.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Apparently, the game will also be released for the PS3. Wonder if there'll be any sacrifices to that version compared to the PS4 version.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for confirming this. I asked about it in that thread, but everyone was going crazy for VitaTV.

Guys guys, this is important, did I spot I-no during the Guilty Gear trailer? It was so choppy and distorted cause the stream couldn't keep up. But I think I saw her. Are my eyes telling me the truth? - from the conf thread

This makes me so happy. I-no is such a great character, I can't wait to see her character art in XRD. Any screenshots from the stream that aren't horribly distorted?

No Caption Provided

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By XenoNick

Every time I watch a new Guilty Gear trailer I get goosebumps. Can't freaking wait!

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Sweet. Hopefully the PS3 version won't be a problem.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This game is going to be THE sh!t, hands down.

I hope older characters are unlockable (like Justice and Order Sol). I'm sure we'll see some new characters too.

:)

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god this game looks insanely good.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Where is Bridget.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope the put Testament in and we will be set , altho my fav is already in there ( Millia Rage) so come out game alreday !!!!!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I-No being in is great, and the style is still goddamned amazing. I really wonder how they pulled off the spite look so well with 3D models...

Also I wonder about the implications of everyone having 3D models and I-No still having that win pose. Where's my camera spin button, damnit?!

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, they re-recorded that track, I liked the first version.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

While we're asking about old characters returning, come on guys, stop playing around and show A.B.A. already.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InfiniteSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 33

@psylah said:

Where is Bridget.

Same here! I hope he and Baiken make in Xrd. And yeah, this game's already looking pretty great. Can't wait!

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@gokaired said:
    I hope older characters are unlockable (like Justice and Order Sol). I'm sure we'll see some new characters too.

:)

I hope everything is unlocked from the beginning.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeFightNight

Man, this game looks spectacular in motion. I can't wait to see it in person. As for characters i'm willing to bet none will be left out. Maybe Kliff and Justice might, but Arc's never takes away characters from previous games, right?

I never noticed before but the tension meter is segmented into four parts. So FRC's or Force Breaks to be next system mechanic announced. I'm going with Force Breaks.

EDIT: Also, Axl ROW?!?

lol

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikefightnight: Kliff and Justice did get removed for awhile, but I also believe part of the reason they rarely removed characters is because they have done so few true sequels. They reiterated on XX for so many years there wasn't any need to consider removing characters. Considering how much more they're doing with Xrd I won't be surprised if some get left out, at least in the first release. (We all now it's going to get an update or two or three eventually.)

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

Where is Bridget.

I don't think there's any risk of the most popular Guilty Gear character not making the roster. :D

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want Japanese support, PS4 is your console, as was PS3. The next generation console war will be an easy one for me.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Superkenon

Kliff and Justice are surely out, at least for the first iteration. Beyond that, I think ABA, Bridget, Zappa, Robo-Ky, and to a lesser degree Slayer are the most "expendable." I say that sadly, rather than as a knock.

It's hard to imagine that they'd release this game with the full roster. Maybe they'll surprise me?

Game looks hella rad in any case.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kneel before Xrd! It's nice to see characters like Potemkin and Millia returning with some changes to their look. I am still waiting to see what is up with Faust.

Boss I-No from Guilty Gear X2 ruined my interest in the I-No character. I am hoping this game will be the one where I can forgive and forget.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Heh, this is funny. I just realized that I know pretty much all of the characters' names and appearances, but since I never actually got into playing this series I don't know what anyone brings to the table in terms of playstyle. As a result, I don't really have any characters to get really excited about.

Still pretty stoked that this game is happening, though.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: Considering they're using 3d models with a 2d paint-job, I would think it should be a more reachable feat now. hd2d takes longer than 3d so hopefully this transition clears up some time for evening out the product, be it with characters or modes.

I definitely expect more than a small cast of characters regardless. This is next-gen people. Pick your game up devs, with all due respect.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol: You're right that it can be streamlined to a degree, but it doesn't quite make it a trifle to add characters.

For fighting games, the reasons for starting off with a tiny roster can have as much to do with balance and gameplay concerns as it does production costs anyway. They benefit from starting small and building up, 'cause that way there can be more focus and attention afforded per character. Of course, Guilty Gear's kind of a special case since it's not exactly a new franchise, even if it has been on a long hiatus. Kinda depends where they feel it falls between 'sequel' and 'relaunch', and how much they're changing.

Could also be hesitant to throw the whole 25-man+ roster out there if they're trying to attract new players. They might be taking notes about how BlazBlue's becoming increasingly impenetrable with its sheer legion of dudes.

Blah, blah. I'm just running my mouth. Obviously as a follower of the series, I'd love to see the entire cast return, along with some brand new additions. We'll see what happens.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HerbieBug

@superkenon said:

Kliff and Justice are surely out, at least for the first iteration. Beyond that, I think ABA, Bridget, Zappa, Robo-Ky, and to a lesser degree Slayer are the most "expendable." I say that sadly, rather than as a knock.

No way is Bridget expendable. When I wrote that he is the most popular, famous, infamous Guilty Gear character, it wasn't a statement based on fandom. It was a statement based on fact. He is the only character you can mention by name and have people who know nothing else about the franchise, or even fighting games in general, immediately recognize.

Also Baiken and Potemkin* for Xrd please!!!

* already in apparently. Woot!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon said:

No way is Bridget expendable. When I wrote that he is the most popular, famous, infamous Guilty Gear character, it wasn't a statement based on fandom. It was a statement based on fact. He is the only character you can mention by name and have people who know nothing else about the franchise, or even fighting games in general, immediately recognize.

Also Baiken and Potemkin for Xrd please!!!

Potemkin is already in.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gokaired

I wonder if Johnny will look more like a pimp, give him some fur please :P

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know Potemkin was confirmed, not a fan of the new look but can't blame them for changing it after 15 years. Arcsys make the most fun grapplers.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herbiebug: Personally, I don't know of anyone I could say "Bridget" to and be understood, except for people who specifically play GG... or, like, 4chan. I suppose I can only speak anecdotally though.

I'd sorely miss Bridget, personally. He's a lot of fun to play as.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.