Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto

Franchise »

Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox-violence game, that has drawn attention all over the world, and has pretty much become one of the most noticeable criminal-sandbox franchises ever.

GTA V NEXT YEAR

• 55 results
    manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By manurok1
    According to Michael Patcher a new GTA game is being developed and is due for 2010.

(Source:  http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219662  )
    Self-made superstar analyst Michael Pachter has pointed his crystal ball in Rockstar's direction, and claimed that the next Grand Theft Auto is on target for next year.

"Management declined to state when the game will launch, but has confirmed to us that the game is in development, has been for over a year, and is using the same game 'engines' as the last version." Pachter said.

"Management also told us that the team at Rockstar North is highly motivated to get the game out, and that the team understands that its highest payday will come from working on GTA instead of any other game," he continued.

"When we do the simple math, we conclude that the next instalment is likely to be completed by some time in 2010, although given the frequency of game delays, it is not clear that it will necessarily come before October 31, 2010," he said.

So start getting excited, along with Bioshock 2, Dead Rising 2, Mirrors edge 2 e.t.c you can now add GTA V to that 2010 calender HOORAY! (Unless it's all a lie, in that case I'm starting a campaign called SACK PATCHER!)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm not so sure, I don't see this 100% happening just yet.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Aarny91

Has Patcher ever been right? I don't see this coming. Mainly becaue R* North are working on Agent.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

GTA V... I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is it's another spin off like Vice City.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spiredcrescent

with bioshock, the new red dead, and max payne i kinda hope they just space things out with GTA 5, but i think it will be delayed till 2011, plus we havent gotten all of the downloadable content yet

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By the8bitNacho

Is Pachter actually paid to say this shit?  I'd really love to get a nice fat paycheck every week to pull shit out of my ass and say it.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Osaladin

I doubt it, it was 4 years between San Andreas and IV.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Luke
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#9  Edited By citizenkane
    @manurok1 said:
    So start getting excited, along with Bioshock 2, Dead Rising 2, Mirrors edge 2 e.t.c you can now add GTA V to that 2010 calender HOORAY! 
    2010 is going to be an amazing year(let's not forget God of War III and Mass Effect 2).  Another Grand Theft Auto game would be icing on the cake.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By KillaMaStA

If its the same engine I could see it coming out holiday 2010.

Im sure they would make alot of money from it and if that is what their going for I think its possible.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

... says Michael Pachter.

Not Rockstar.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Osaladin: Yeah. But that was making a GTA with a new engine and on what was then next-gen consoles. I'd imgaine the time gap will be less now. Still, not next year though, however I'd love to be proven wrong and we do get a new GTA in '10.

@ The guy bellow me: Awesome contribution man, well done at life.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RsistncE

Ewww GTA.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

I heard you play as Napoleon and they're gonna release a DS version that will selll at least 4 billion units.  Also, Natal will cost $50.

Honestly, it's statistically less likely to happen now than it was before he said anything.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

With the DLC still not out, I doubt it.  But your putting Mirrors Edge 2 on there?  Really?  No, Really?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Why bother getting excited for a game that's still so far away.  It just seems too soon to get excited about a game that hasn't even been announced yet.  THere are plenty of other games coming before than.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giantsquirrel

An analyst makes a prediction? OMG.

It almost makes sense though, they did similar cycles with their existing engine in the PS2 era, I would love to see a GTA: Vice City 2 type of game.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

More like Spring 2011. But it only makes sense for it to be coming soon. I mean the 'final' DLC for GTA4 will be out this fall, along with Red Dead Redemption (I hope) so they wouldn't have it out before late 2010. And no shit they've been working on a new GTA world since probably May 2008. I mean the level leads (such as Aaron Garbut) don't mess around with the final QA (which took months for gta4) or much of the DLC (the city is already built, only a few small adjustments [like doors and interiors] are made).

I just hope it's much larger and more open than LC-2008 and populated with fun things to do (online with friends even). The lack of variety GTA4 was acceptable only because it was a series reboot. People aren't going to be so forgiving this time. Also maybe the choices in the game have some kind of weight behind them now. I mean Fallout 3 has come and reminded us what choices should be more like.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I wonder who would win in a fight: Michael Patcher or Chuck Norris?

manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By manurok1
    @TheHBK: It just popped into my head as a 2010 release, and you never know it might actually be quite good.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, it is not officially announced yet, so I am not sure if I am going to believe it. Another GTA would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't come true. Agent is their big project at the moment.

thundergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thundergamer
    @MrKlorox:
    I honestly don't get how you can say gta IV had a lack of variety the map was pretty damn big as well.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yeah it's probably not GTA V it's probably a "spinoff" with the same engine and all that. I figure they'll release a spinoff in 2011 then depending on the lifespan of the PS360 maybe another one in 2013 or just start working on V.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
    @thundergamer: The map was all condensed city. There was no openness. And by variety, there was virtually nothing to do compared to GTASA. There were the extremely forgettable parlor games and the missions from characters on the street. I don't count story mission or street characters as variety, because they're the same thing.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25  Edited By Vinchenzo

I was bored after playing GTA IV. I will not be purchasing the next installment. I'll stick with less serious sandbox games I suppose.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEAH

ofcourse they will release the PC port a year after the console version... makes me sad =[
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By bwooduhs

Rockstar would be stupid to not have a console GTA in the works.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Karmum
    @MrKlorox said:
    " More like Spring 2011. But it only makes sense for it to be coming soon. I mean the 'final' DLC for GTA4 will be out this fall, along with Red Dead Redemption (I hope) so they wouldn't have it out before late 2010. And no shit they've been working on a new GTA world since probably May 2008. I mean the level leads (such as Aaron Garbut) don't mess around with the final QA (which took months for gta4) or much of the DLC (the city is already built, only a few small adjustments [like doors and interiors] are made).

I just hope it's much larger and more open than LC-2008 and populated with fun things to do (online with friends even). The lack of variety GTA4 was acceptable only because it was a series reboot. People aren't going to be so forgiving this time. Also maybe the choices in the game have some kind of weight behind them now. I mean Fallout 3 has come and reminded us what choices should be more like. "
    The next GTA has probably been in the works prior to 2008, that is something that should be obvious. Although getting more GTA in a shorter span would be awesome, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my cup of GTA games. I'm hoping Rockstar just takes their time on this, and I really don't see it coming out prior to 2010. I mean, we haven't even heard any announcements about it.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " Well, it is not officially announced yet, so I am not sure if I am going to believe it. Another GTA would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't come true. Agent is their big project at the moment. "
    I partially agree with you. IF it's true and has been in development for a year, then I think it's safe to assume it will be released. The big question though is: when? Agent is by and large their big project right now, and Max Payne 3 is also a big undertaking. I wouldn't expect an official announcement until after both of those are released. Of course, I'm just playing the guess game- much like Patcher but with less clout.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

By "working on" I meant actually building the map. Not just the conceptual stuff. By that sense, I'm sure they're already working on GTAVII or something. And since they took so long figuring out how to do what they wanted to do this generation and balancing the formula last time, it shouldn't take so long this time... at least not 4 years. Any time after spring 2011 is too long unless the game is absolutely massive. I mean they should know better than to spend all their time on a guaranteed to be fewer selling exclusive.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Player1
    @manurok1 said: 
    Self-made superstar analyst Michael Pachter
    HAHA so true. He always makes predictions like this. So I really don't know what to think. 
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Hmmm....maybe its not called 5 or IV. They made Chinatown Wars already so that can be a chance that Chinatown Wars is number 5.Chinatown wars and GTA IV was released the same year.....
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lashe

I think it'll be a spin off if anything. I just hope they keep the tone they set with GTAIV if they do decide to do another, IV was the only one I could really get into. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikkaQ

Apparently blockbuster listens to pachter, because my local BBV is taking pre-orders already. My mind broke.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @dcpc10 said:
    " Can't wait to see this thread bumped a year from now >_> "
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Apparently blockbuster listens to pachter, because my local BBV is taking pre-orders already. My mind broke. "
    oh well, 7 months early but it'll do.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Evilsbane

No No No, I mean I am willing to put a foot in my mouth but I don't expect to see GTA 5 till 2011 at the earliest.

I would be thrilled if this did happen, but I am not going to hold my breath.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By EpicSteve
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    "... says Michael Pachter.

Not Rockstar."

This.  

He's an analist. It's my understanding that his job is to predict what makes sense. 2011 would be about we would be due a new GTA. Don't expect it to be straight-up "GTA V", but do expect a new full-retail iteration of the franchise.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't expect a GTA 5 until 2012-13 at least. I'd say they'll make a GTA game for consoles in some form or another probably in 2011. I'm just hoping and dreaming for a vice city game with this engine, and whoever's writing their dialogue now.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Kiemoe

I'd rather they do new stuff and make 5 alot later with a new engine

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, I'm gonna have to diss Pachter on this one. If there's been a GTA game in the works since GTA IV (besides the episodes), and even if it was announced today, you know it would be delayed multiple times and at the very least be pushed back into the 2011 range. I'm going to guess either 2011 or early 2012.  Since I'm sure they'll stick with the same engine, development shouldn't be as tough.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Druminator

I really don't see this coming out so soon. Rumor is that Red Dead Redemption is a testing ground for the next GTA. If true then the next game will be very expansive. I just hope that's true.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Snail

But, more importantly, have we officially gone back to naming the GTA games numerically?

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentofChaos

Yes because Rockstar is always firm and on time with release dates. We'll be lucky to see this by 2011.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Well maybe he was meaning to expect an announcement, which will be for 2011-2012 or like said be pushed back to one of those dates.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Pie
    @Snail said:
    " But, more importantly, have we officially gone back to naming the GTA games numerically? "
    I sort of got the feeling that the two downloadable packs were there two unnumbered GTA's, maybe not but we shall see
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By r0k1ll
    @spiredcrescent said:
    "  we havent gotten all of the downloadable content yet "
    Rockstar said that Gay tony was the last DLC for the game

@Osaladin said:
    " I doubt it, it was 4 years between San Andreas and IV. "

They had to build a new engine for GTA IV. It wont take nearly as long for the next game.
    HoorayHippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HoorayHippo
    @Kiemoe: At least they're coming out with Agent, which should be different. Coming from Rockstar i'm confident it will be good.
    dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dyslekt
    The more time it takes the more they need a new engine.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By TheHBK

Well Rockstar seems to be aiming for a nice year.  BUt disappointing for me.  Alan Wake, Max Payne 3, and now this.  Those first two... oh god.  Alan Wake looks stupid to me and Max Payne 3 just looks fucked.  Hopefully the next GTA is awesome and more fun than the last game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187

The end of 2011 is more of a probability, especially since they've got Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 both coming out for 2010.  Putting out GTA V in 2010/early 2011 would just be overkill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.