Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Golden Sun

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 01, 2001

Golden Sun sees the player travel Weyard to stop the release of Alchemy before it destroys the world.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Golden Sun

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imunbeatable80

This is an ongoing list where I attempt to do the following: Play, Complete, and Rank every video game in the known universe in order to finally answer the age old question "What is the greatest game of all time?" For previous entries find the links on the attached spreadsheet.

How did I do?

CategoryCompletion level
    CompletedYes
    Hours played~15ish hours
    Best SummonMeteor
    Favorite partBattle screen, Combat looks great
    Least favoriteThe Story and Characters are seriously lacking

I’m old, maybe not grew up playing Pong old, but certainly old enough where I remember playing some of the greatest games of all time at a young age. I was born in 87 and when I was really ready to start playing video games it was at the start of the SNES. I played some of the greatest games of all time when I was the perfect age to play them (in school, without a care in the world). I could spend countless weekends renting Final Fantasy 6 and playing during a long summer or winter break and soak it all in. I lived through essentially two golden ages of video game genres that were still/and are currently two of my favorite genres. I got to live through the 90s which happened to be when adventure games were at the height of their power (Sierra and Lucas Arts duking it out), and I got to experience the highs of the RPG boon that started on the SNES and bled over into the PS1 (Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Lufia 2, Shining Force, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and so much more). To this day it is probably the genre that I have gone back to over and over, hoping that I find another one that will capture my time and imagination like so many others.

No Caption Provided

To be fair, I didn’t play all those as a kid, sure I had some of those but certainly not all, rented others either for a weekend of two and never finished them, but it wasn’t until much later in life (college) where I would emulate the ones I missed to see if there were any great ones that passed me by. It is weird to look back on, because I never really did that with any other genre. I never searched out to see what fighting games I missed when I fell in love with Street Fighter 2, I played Warcraft 2 and Starcraft and never cared about checking out all the other strategy offerings. It was only RPGs where I felt I needed to have some complete knowledge in my head, as if it would ever come relevant. It is why my hair would stand up whenever (prior to this year) I heard people talk about Golden Sun. Here was an RPG that people fawned over as if it belonged in the pantheon of great RPGs of that era and I haven’t played it. It was always on my bucket list, but I grew out of emulating games on a PC, and I no longer owned a GBA, so I all but wrote off playing it. Then Nintendo puts it on Switch Online, many years later and I could finally play it. As Nintendo does this, the fervor once again builds with all the Golden Sun fans clamoring that people need to play this game now, because it is just that good, and so I broke my own protocol and played it without waiting for it’s turn to come up. Now here we are.

To start, this is only a review of the first Golden Sun game.. Spoilers.. The story certainly doesn’t conclude at the end of this game and we will need to keep that in mind when we are discussing this as a whole. Is it possible that eventually I play the 2nd half of Golden Sun, think of the games as one entity and it changes my mind? (either direction) of course. However, I say this so that the Golden Sun Community who wants to comment, might pause and realize that I don’t know what happens in part 2, or what gameplay/story point pays off later, or why my opinion is what it is. Since we are talking about it, I will add how much I love the idea of carrying over an adventure between multiple games in the series. For those unfamiliar, when you beat Golden Sun 1, you can have a finished save file, that can then be converted to the longest password ever, which you can enter into Golden Sun 2 that will carry over various degrees of your progress (depending on the password level you choose.. it’s a whole thing). Its an idea I have always loved from other games. In the Quest for Glory series, you could save your hero on a floppy disc that could then move to the next Quest for Glory, all the way to the 5th and final game of the series. They would be brought over with the stats and spells you have worked hard to level up, some equipment or money that you earned, and the same childish name you gave them 10 years ago when the series started. Despite the fact that you could always roll a new character if you didn’t have one, just seeing the hard work you put in one game be brought over to another was rewarding. For a brief time it felt that it wasn’t time wasted, because those stats boosts, or spells gained would give you an edge in future games. Shenmue for the Dreamcast originally promised the same thing, and I remember spending countless hours training to level up moves and become a beast, only for the Dreamcast to fail and for Shenmue 2 to be given life on a new system that couldn’t carry over your progress. Mass Effect was the last big game series where I remember things carrying over, but it was really only story choices. The games changed how they played with each one, removing RPG elements, adding different ones in, so by the time my character made it to game 3, they were nothing like the character that finished the 1st game. As games got more and more complicated to make, took longer and longer to do, and the technology changed so quickly, this wasn’t really an option anymore. No company knew if making a sequel 2, 3, or 5 years later was going to land it on the same console or even come out at all. Maybe the first game doesn’t do well and now you don’t even make a follow-up to deliver on that promise. It’s a shame, because I love the idea and I don’t think it will show up much more in my lifetime. Now you are more likely to just get a bonus skin or some tokens if the newer game detects a save file of a previous one.

Thats just good advice
    Thats just good advice

Now it’s time to talk about Golden Sun properly. Golden Sun is an RPG that came out for the Game Boy Advance. The main story is that the elemental stars that keep the world in balance are eventually stolen by the bad guys and it is up to you to track them down, retrieve the elemental stars and bring peace back to the world. Your characters are chosen because they have the ability to use magic (known in this game as Alchemy), which allows them to solve puzzles in temples and deal with monsters much easier then your average people. I could add that the bad guys kidnap your mentor and your childhood friend to kind of force your hand into inadvertently helping them at times, but the main story is nothing to write home about. Its not that it is particularly bad, its just not memorable, it’s the same story of nearly all early RPGs. The world is falling apart because the balance has shifted, and you need to restore the balance by finding the crystals, books, elemental stars, etc. The main enemies aren’t even very memorable, because we don’t (or maybe just I don’t) know what their motivations are. They presumably want to steal the stars and release alchemy into the world for power, I guess, because in the first game it’s not that clear. Now, I am sure this is something that gets picked up in game two, and we learn all about why this plot is important, I feel like I am judging a book or a movie by only getting halfway through, but this was a finished and shipped game.

No Caption Provided

There are some interesting side stories here, rescuing a town from an evil tree curse or breaking into a thieves town to rescue someone… but from what I gathered these are kinda of optional side quests and not something you need to do to beat the game. I also wouldn’t go to say these side stories are riveting, but I did find some of them interesting in comparison to the main plot. For me a good RPG is about the story, something that is compelling me to continue playing the game. I want to see what happens in the end in terms of the overall plot, or in terms of individual characters. I think this game is missing that component here. Including your main silent protagonist, you will have a total of 4 characters in your party, but none of these characters had strong personalities. Gareth, your best friend, maybe has the strongest personality, but it comes and goes. In one instance he seems reluctant to divert from the critical path and do anything that isn’t tracking down the bad guys, and in other instances he could care less. We know that all these characters are ‘good’ but that kinda goes without saying. They leave their towns or temples in order to fight for justice, but they don’t have individual goals or anything that motivates them. In FF7 or FF6 which is a bad comparison because they are kind of heralded as two of the greatest games ever made, each individual party member is uniquely defined with their own wants and needs. They may all join together to save the world, but they have reasons outside the main plot that make them characters. In Golden Sun, what are the motivations of the characters outside of stopping the bad guys? If the answer is just ‘play the next game’ that is sadly not a good enough reason. Hypothetically, I would have bought Golden Sun 1 for $30 or $40 whatever it normally cost, and if the carrot that is dangled in front of my face requires me to spend another $30 or $40 bucks to see an ending that makes up for a lackluster setup, it might have used up its goodwill.

I also have to mention two instances in this game that really make me question its ranking in the pantheon. The first is all the repeated dialogue, which happens throughout the game. It seems like every conversation goes this way:

“The door is locked” – P1

“Are you saying THAT door is locked” – P2

“Yes, I think that door is locked and we will have to find another way” – P3

“I dunno, that door was open yesterday.. let me try… yep, it’s locked” – P4

“Ok, so we all agree now, that the door is locked” – P1

“Yes, the door is locked and we can’t go this way” – P2

No Caption Provided

That is almost certainly a verbatim set of dialogue that occurs in this game, and it happens over and over again. Characters repeat and repeat things to each other as if the writers (or translators) of this game learned that people only retain information if they hear it 3 times. Any story moment was immediately underscored, when I had to hear the same revelation 3 or 4 times as if the game was checking to see if I was paying attention. Was this geared for younger gamers, who maybe need their hand held more to understand the story, or is it just bad writing? The other aspect that ties into this, is the boat ride that happens in the middle of the game. This is a complain about a particular instance that grinds the game to a halt. It is not a particularly difficult series of battles, but the fact that this scene couldn’t have been handled better is baffling. If you play RPGs you have seen this before, you take a boat and the boat gets attacked by monsters that you need to deal with. It is a trope that has been done dozens of times, but for Golden Sun to think we need to watch the same cutscene 3 times, make decisions about who is going to row the ship 3 times, and then continuously be surprised that the ship is going to be attacked 3 times is bonkers. Have the boat get overwhelmed all at once, you can have the same # of fights, but we didn’t need this starting and stopping.

No Caption Provided

So, clearly we aren’t here for the story, so then we have to talk about gameplay. This is a turn based RPG with random battles and big sprites. If there is anything some people will point to as why this game is great, it is the battle system. It is a dynamic camera that doesn’t just have your good guys on one side and bad guys on another that Final Fantasy popularized. These are bigger character and monster sprites then you have seen in the overworld or in the menu. You have your normal choices during battle. You can attack with your weapon, use magic, use a summon, or use an item. It does have one of my least favorite systems in place, which is if you target an enemy who then dies before their turn, your character just defends rather than re-targets. We can yell about Strategy and how the game is making you think and not waste actions, but it’s a bad system, especially for the generic attack action. You want to tell me that a spell or summon won’t go through, fine. But if there are two enemies on screen and one dies, it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize who ELSE should be attacked with that action. We do need to clarify that this is not ATB (active time battles) or old school turn based (all allies go, and then all enemies). Each character and enemy has their own stat to determine the order or the round. You won’t see the round order displayed anywhere, but unless that stat is being buffed or debuffed each round will follow the same order. That might mean that Isaac goes first, then the enemy, and the rest of your party. This is the type of strategy I am here for, because once you understand the order, you can do things that work in your favor. We should talk about the equivalent of magic and summons, but to do so we need to have an aside.

No Caption Provided

This game has a unique semi-job like system for its characters. Those jobs determine the stats and spells that your customer will learn and be able to use both in combat and out of it. All of this is connected to the summons, which in this game are called Djinn. You will find these little creatures throughout the game, some you have to fight while others will just willingly join you. Each one is assigned an element (one of the main 4) and has it’s own unique summon ability. This is where it gets tricky, so stay with me, but the Djinn can be equipped to someone which usually gives a stat boost, but also may change their job which in turn will change the spells they can use. This is a very rudimentary example, but if you just have a fire Djinn equipped you can cast fire, but equip a water and fire Djinn to a single character and now they can cast steam.. or something. If a Djinn is equipped on you, you get it’s benefit in and out of combat, but during combat you can have you Djinn attack (do their special move) but that essentially means the Djinn gets unequipped during a set time. That unequip attack by the Djinn, may lower your stats or change what spells you can use in battle for several turns. Here is where the kicker is, If the Djinn is unequipped it can be used to summon (presumably a different monster) before it re-charges and gets re-equipped on the character who initially had it. The more Djinns you have “unequipped” of the same type, the stronger the summon you can call forth. Still following? It’s supposedly a risk and reward system. Keep the Djinn equipped the whole time and there is not much risk there, because you aren’t going to be able to unleash a huge attack, on the flip side, make your party weaker for a little bit, and in a few turns you can unleash hell on the enemies.

Circling back to the job system. There are a ton of jobs in this game, but there is nowhere that I saw (outside of online faqs) that actually show all the possibilities you can create, which can be exciting. Do you want to have one person have all the fire Djinns, or do you want to try and mix 2 here and 3 there in hopes of creating hybrid classes? Of course there is no guarantee (especially early on) that you are actually working towards anything useful. I don’t want to necessarily mess around with moving Djinns around on two people who are my only healers, because I wouldn’t want one of them to lose the cure or revive spell. See, there are very few spells that a character retains forever. You could gain 20 levels as a healer, but once you change jobs all those healing spells might be gone with the job change. Its fun to find cool combinations that give you unique spells, but I wasn’t someone creating a flow chart to find all the combinations. I was pretty boring and I had two characters who were all purely one type of Djinn, and then two characters that were a mix. This system really struck me as the perfect system for the Min/Max crowd that would be comfortable constantly moving parts for each area of the game they are in, to make sure that they are at maximum benefit. It’s not that I don’t see the appeal, because I do, I also just don’t know that it is worth all that trouble.

No Caption Provided

My RPG experience led me to play the game in a fairly set way. I bought the best weapons and armors I could at every shop, I ALWAYS equipped Djinns for stat boosts, and I made sure not to mess with a system that got me far enough, making sure I had multiple people capable of heal spells. I tried to never run from battles, and I really only focused on using the big summons for the last 5-10% of the game. What did all that get me, a pretty easy experience through the game all things told. Hell, I didn’t even learn about using the big summons until I was well over 50% done with the game, I assumed the summon was just the pretty basic one, which led me to handle most fights like other RPGs. Attack with my strong melee characters, and cast the best spells I could with other characters. It might not have been pretty, and I might have missed the ‘fun,’ but it kept moving me forward and I was doing almost zero grinding between story beats. I don’t know if I should have been able to do that. I feel like I skipped the system that is a big draw for everyone else, and perhaps the game should have stopped me. I don’t know how the game could have stopped me, It’s sole purpose was to open up this free wheeling job system where anyone could be anything, so making a puzzle dungeon where everyone is forced to be a certain job type, is not the solution, but something should have made me re-visit my setup more and nothing did. Feel free to criticize me for not learning about the big summons until late in the game, I could have easily missed the dialogue or training in the game that stated that, but it clearly didn’t impact me, so either you believe that I made the game harder for myself by avoiding summons for so long, or the opposite.. and in both instances I made it and the game didn’t course correct me.

No Caption Provided

The only thing that ever got me to switch was for a small puzzle room, where I needed a character with gust to clear away some leaves (this is like one of the last two dungeons).. I would unequip all djinns so this character could cast the spell, then re-equip everything once concluded. Rarely was there a battle that was had where I wasn’t set up the same way. Which I think brings us up to one of the other “positive” points, the puzzles. In most RPGs, there are little dungeon puzzles that you need to solve to get to a treasure chest or open a locked door. Usually this might just be going in the opposite direction, but sometimes it would be pushing buttons or putting a code in somewhere all pretty surface level stuff. Golden Sun changes this a little bit by allowing your characters to cast their magic in the open world (some spells, not everything) in order to affect the objects around you. Maybe you use an ability to move a statue out of the way of a path, in order to grant you passage, or you use a growth spell to create a vine ladder that gets you to a higher ground. There are a lot of spells that can be used in this puzzle fashion from freezing puddles to create ice blocks, to creating a wind gust to remove debris and find a hidden door. In theory this opens up a lot of possibilities, because as mentioned above you could have different jobs assigned to different characters which would make what spells they have access to up for debate. There are some spells that are given to you, like an item, for story reasons or as a treasure, that can then be taught to one of your characters assuring that you always have that ability. This allows the game to make a puzzle room or dungeon focused on that ability, because it can assume you have that ability on at least someone. While the puzzles can certainly be far more inventive then just standing on a switch to walking in an opposite direction, I feel that this is an under-utilized aspect to the game. I was hoping to see dungeons with these little spots littered everywhere, perhaps you would only be able to magic 3 or 4 spots out of 10, but it would either give you a reason to re-visit the location, or to swap around jobs, or even a re-playability as you navigate the dungeon a different time on subsequent playthroughs. Instead it felt that the puzzles were used so sparingly and at such a basic level, that we might as well just put in pressure plates or switches in like other RPGs. While it sounds like a knock, I think the idea is good and am tentatively excited if they carry this on in a more robust manner in the 2nd game, but I think the execution here is lacking. Yes, I know there are parts in nearly every screen where you can use the “reveal” spell to find hidden items or a secondary path, that is not my complaint. My complaint is that how can I have 2-3 of these “outside combat” spells for puzzles PER PERSON, but only use like 30% of them to get through the entire game?

I will state that I certainly didn’t 100% the game, I didn’t find every Djinn, certainly didn’t open every treasure chest or learn every spell. If all of my hangups are solved by draining the game completely dry of content then I suppose I rescind my complaints. However, I think I was kinda letdown while playing this game, but I don’t want that to be taken the wrong way. Golden Sun is not a bad game, its probably a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 game. I finished the game and was genuinely excited about importing my save (perhaps the excitement was more about the ability to import), but I don’t think the game is really on the same level of the great RPG’s of yesteryear. Having never played the game and just hearing about it in chats, seeing IGN at one time put this game in the top 100 games of all time list (and its sequel even higher), I was prepared that this would be perhaps not dethrone the ultra-greats (Chrono Trigger, FF6, FF7) but it would at least enter the pantheon one level below them, but I just don’t see it. So it begs the question, do I just not get IT? or, is there something else happening here? Lets go point by point and see if we can decide.

No Caption Provided

So in terms of me not getting IT, lets discuss the facts.. I am not the type of person that wants to Min/Max or do crazy experimentation with my RPGs. I have gone on the record, (and if not, consider this the record), but I do actually prefer games with defined characters rather than a Job system where anyone can be anything, if both are done well. Obviously a good job system game (FF5 for instance) is better than a bad game with no Job system, but I think about FF6, FFX, Chrono Trigger, my quick top 3 of RPGs and they all have characters that already fit an archetype and while you can mold them here or there, it takes a lot of work to change them completely. I am also very into the narrative and character development as some of my most important pillars to a good game. I think it would be hard to argue that the story (at least in this part 1 of the series) is not particularly strong. The characters’ personalities are at best weak and at worst undefined. I thought the combat sprites were cool, but for all the “strategy” of when and how to equip Djinns, and when to summon them, I largely was able to ignore that because a large portion of the game was easy and I was in no real danger of failing. By, not engaging with this level of strategy bypass the draw of the game? Did I play it too easy (normal difficulty), or casual by just attacking with good weapons and using regular magic from my jobs to best most of the game?

On the other side, this was a game that came out in 2001, 6 and 7 years after FF6 and Chrono Trigger.. That means it hits a different generation of gamers at potentially the sweetest spot in the nostalgia goggles. Is there a generation of gamers who Golden Sun is their first RPG? Certainly possible, and for those people I can see why they would hold this game in their hearts. It has an awesome soundtrack and you get to save the world as a bunch of plucky teenagers, something you can certainly imagine as if you were a plucky teenager. There is a genuine mystery to playing this game, not knowing what combination of Djinn you equip will equate to what job class. If you were playing with your friends, or even siblings, you could have entirely different builds, with entirely different spells to tackle the bosses. That in itself can be interesting enough in terms of playground discussions being amazed at what one person has compared to the other.

No Caption Provided

Is this the greatest game of all time?: Nada

Where does it rank: I don’t actually have an answer in terms of what category makes more sense. It’s not that Golden Sun is a bad game, but its just a serviceable RPG from yesteryear and that is perfectly fine. I wouldn’t even say it’s the best RPG on the GBA without adding some caveats that limit the pool of games. Whether or not it belongs with the titans of old school RPGs I don’t think it ranks, and even if we are just looking at this greatest list of all time (where I haven’t played and ranked all the hits) its far closer to “Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars” (#76) then it is to “Lost Odyssey” (#20). It’s hard for me to really sell out for Golden Sun, when I think its story, characters, villains, and dialogue is weak AND it is an RPG which are normally important points to the RPG formula. It’s music, battles, and puzzles bring it back a little bit, but overall I do still think that this is an okay RPG that wasn’t worth the hype. I have it ranked as the #74th greatest game of all time, see I told you I don’t think it’s a bad game, just not worthy of the pedestal people have put it on. This is out of 186 total reviewed games.

What's it Between: Golden Sun currently sits between Psychonauts (73rd) and The Dig (75th)

Anyone looking for it: here is the link to the list and more if you are interested in following along with me (this is not a self promotion).Here. I added links on the spreadsheet for quick navigation. Now if you missed a blog of a game you want to read about, you can get to it quickly, rather than having to scroll through my previous blogs wondering when it came up.

Thanks for listening

Future games coming up 1) Mario 3D world + Bowser's Fury 2) Seventh Cross: Evolution

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again a fantastic write-up, one that is nevertheless hard to read. I loved that game, but in all honestly I remember almost nothing of it. I remember that in the first dungeon, there is sort of a big eyeball monster, but instead it being a boss of that dungeon, you just talk to it and then you leave. It had moments like that that subverted expectations at times and there was just a level of confidence in its design as opposed to so many other games that simply tried to do what Square did.

If I can set the stage the way that I remember it, it's that in the early 2000s you already had established role-playing franchises like your Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana and what have you, there were new IPs coming out but most of them didn't leave any lasting impact, and anyway things had already moved on to the 3D side of things on home consoles. Golden Sun felt like it was the last of its kind, except of course some years later developers started making these games again as nostalgia service, but that's a different thing that playing something on its heyday. Golden Sun maybe wasn't the best in class but it felt like everything about it was pure RPG goodness. Even the story I felt was maybe intentionally barebones and a little childish as a way to say that these are kids who saving the planet out of the goodness of their hearts and it didn't need to have anything deeper than that.

Of course all of the above is just how I feel about a game that I haven't played in 20+ years. We spoke about it a little in another thread, this is one of those games that I'm a little afraid to go back to, and I'm almost angry at Nintendo for making it so accessible all of a sudden that it's hard to keep dodging it.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wollywoo

I played this game when it came out and enjoyed it a lot but I remember next to nothing about the story. Mainly I remember the battles were impressive (for GBA), the music was good, and the ability to use magic in the overworld to actually change things and solve puzzles, which is a weirdly underutilized idea in RPGs. Overall I pretty much agree with your take. My feeling is that it was mainly good *for a GBA game* at a time when Nintendo was incredibly RPG starved, but it's not really in the annals of all-time best JRPGs.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By imunbeatable80

@apewins: thanks for the read and comment.. you could certainly be right regarding the time period. In 2001 I was playing FFX and had moved on to the dreamcast and ps2 (when the dreamcast failed). Looking at other 2000 and 2001 rpgs it is a lot of newer IPs that were bringing in 3d (skies of Arcadia, super mario RPG, anachronix, vagrant story, dark cloud, etc). Golden sun in comparison felt more like it would have belonged to the older crop of early ps1 and late snes rpgs, and not with this newer crop.

I do truly believe that putting the game on the switch nso, did make it lose some magic. Previously it was an expensive game only on one system that people can look back fondly on, and sure there is emulation, but it was a barrier to entry (not a big one). That mystique where it felt like a hidden gem or prized game only few people played probably brought up its talk of great game to one of the best games, but now almost all switch users can play it. It loses that mystery and people can see it and play it alongside remasters of super mario rpg, or the final fantasy pixel remaster, and I think (for me personally) it doesn't hold up to those lofty accolades and is just a good but not "best in show" rpg.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: thanks for the read and comment.. yes it should get its flowers for the battle system, music, and some puzzle design. The puzzles were under utilized both in its own game, but also in future games where other companies should have stolen that idea.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chamurai

Good write-up!(I only read the first couple paragraphs cuz I haven't played the game yet.) Even after seeing your rankings I still want to play it sometime. I, too, have always been intrigued by its reputation and the addition to NSO is just what I needed to finally get to it. I am curious as to why it has such a strong following despite the criticisms you've brought up. Perhaps it'll click with me. I do like the occasional simple story RPG myself.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: I would love to hear your thoughts when you finish even if you strongly disagree with me. I love the genre, and sometimes a fairly typical RPG can hit. I think the hype around the game does this one a disservice, because I was expecting so much more from it, and if I came at it with no expectations maybe this blog is more uplifting (even though it might rank the same).

The comparison I can't get out of my head is FF8. Some people love that game because of the system it has in place that allows you to break it and do crazy things, but I think FF8 is a weak entry sandwiched between the highs of the series (6, 7, 9, X). Maybe that's Golden Sun, maybe the draw is this unique half-job system and mixing and matching Djinns, and if that system doesn't hit you.. you are left with a simple story.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

Thanks for the review! I had a look at the list and thought of some other earlier games that would be interesting to read about:

Ultima IV (1985 or a later version), Super Metroid (1994) and Zero Mission, Out Run (1986) or Turbo Out Run (1989)

Gradius II (NES) or Life Force (NES), The Oregon Trail (1985 or 1993), Eggerland Mystery (1985) or Adventures of Lolo (1989)

Solomon's Key (1986), Fantasy Zone (1986) or a sequel, Bubble Bobble (1986) or Bubble Symphony

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (1986), Dragon Quest III (1988 or 1996), King's Quest III (1986 or the 2006 fan remake)

Starflight (MD ver., 1991), Maniac Mansion (1987 or DX ver.) or Day of the Tentacle (1993), The Maze of Galious (1987)

R-Type (1987), The Magic of Scheherazade (1987), Zelda II (1987/1988)

Punch-Out! (1987), Pirates! (1987) or Gold ver., Metal Gear (MSX, 1987) or Metal Gear 2

Ai Senshi Nicol (1987) or Gremlins 2, NetHack (1987), Faxanadu (1987)

Galaga '88 (1987), Exile (Superior Software, 1988 or 1991), Contra (NES, 1988) or Super C

Mega Man (1987) and MM3, Wizards & Warriors (1987), Golvellius: Valley of Doom (SMS, 1988)

Fahm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fahm

Golden Sun is a highly acclaimed role-playing game known for its immersive story, engaging gameplay, and captivating graphics. However, while Golden Sun offers a rich gaming experience, I personally prefer to play at Bizzo Casino for a more interactive and dynamic gaming environment. At Bizzo Casino, I am able to enjoy a wide variety of casino games including slots, blackjack, poker, and roulette with the added thrill of real-time interactions with fellow players and live dealers. The social aspect of playing at https://bizzo.casinologin.mobi/ adds an extra layer of excitement and entertainment that enhances the overall gaming experience. Additionally, the opportunity to win real money prizes at Bizzo Casino adds an element of competitiveness that sets it apart from traditional video games like Golden Sun. Overall, while Golden Sun may offer a compelling single-player experience, my preference for playing at Bizzo Casino stems from the interactive nature and potential for substantial winnings it offers.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fahm: Its legendary based on word of mouth, but I would argue that after playing it, it might unjustly have that label.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.