Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

GOG Weekend Sale - 60% off Square Enix Titles, Help me pick!

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ducksworth

So as many of you may be aware GOG is having a sale on all their Square Enix titles. You can find it here but just as a quick summary, we have titles from Thief, Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and more! After caving into the Atari sale last week I promised myself not to buy anything else until the middle of next month but this sale seems too good to pass up. With that being said I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, currently I'm saving up for a gaming level PC that will be dedicated to the living room TV among other things. Can someone please recommend maybe 4 or 5 games? The only game I've played from that list is Pandemonium so if there's anything that's a must play I'm all ears.

Should I have blogged this?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The Thief series is a good choice, as is Deus Ex (just the first one). 

also, I was wondering if Hitman 2 had aged well. If someone could help me out that would be great.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sodacat

Thief 1&2 are good times, and are old school games that don't hand you the entire game on a silver platter. i think a patch came out recently that completely overhauled the engine so that it runs the way it should on modern computers.

DX is a game everyone should own (and which I'm constantly surprised that not everyoen does). DX2 is fun if you spec for melee and ignore how the game is less interesting than DX in almost every regard.

Soul Reaver is the best 3D Metroid game. Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance have too much combat focus.

If you're willing to learn how to play a game that doesn't control like Mario 64 then Tomb Raider 4 is some good times. You should probably only pick up 1-3 after you figure out if you like the old control style, and there is almost no reason to play Angel of Darkness.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodacat

@FancySoapsMan said:

also, I was wondering if Hitman 2 had aged well. If someone could help me out that would be great.

It hasn't. The huge empty levels just aren't that fun to trudge through. Everyone should start Hitman at #3, or even just 4.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WMWA

Which of these games play well with standard mouse and keyboard setup? thats all i have atm. No gamepads. =/

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Thief series is fantastic as far as punishing old stealth games are concerned, so getting those for $4 a pop is an insanely good deal. Deus Ex is also pretty great, although it hasn't necessarily aged as well as some would have you believe, and the kids tell me that Anachronox is a "Flawed Gem". That's 5 games right there. Basically, you're good as long as you don't get Deus Ex Invisible War or Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ducksworth

@wmaustin55 said:

Which of these games play well with standard mouse and keyboard setup? thats all i have atm. No gamepads. =/

I'm sure the Deus Ex + Thief games are fine on the keyboard since they are PC games first and foremost. If you'd be interested in it, Pandemonium is a cute little 2D platformer that doesn't need analog precision to play.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

Had no idea that the LoK series came out on PC. Shame they don't have the Blood Omen games on sale as well.

People give DX 2 shit, but I personally loved it. I played it on Xbox before I played the first one, and by the time I did get to the first one I just could never get passed the second level. Not sure if it's the outdated control scheme or the aged graphics or just a combo of both.

Thief 3 is good. Haven't played the others in the series.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Justin258

@wmaustin55 said:

Deus Ex was made for KB/M in the first place and I, personally, think that what I've played of it is still fun. I've got to get back around to it, though, I haven't played a ton of it.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By falling_fast

you want thief 2 and deus ex.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WMWA

@Ducksworth: @believer258: Deus Ex it is. Thanks, guys!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.