Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

What Ghostbusters the Game Was Missing

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Eelcire

So I've now beaten Ghostbusters twice now on my Xbox 360, and for the most part it has been a pretty entertaining experience. One thing I would like is for other family members, who aren't really gamers, to experience Ghostbusters. The problem lies in that they would probably get bored watching me play through the six hours of game. So why not offer a movie mode after the game has been completed?

One thing that really help make Ghostbusters stand out from other movie tie-ins is that the game was written as though it were a movie experience; and in playing through the game it feels just that way. The game was pretty linear, only offering a little exploration; but for the most part you, as the player, was directed through the narrative.

So why not allow someone to just set the game to movie mode, and just watch the game play itself? Where gameplay is involved, the game instead would play through scripted sequences to allow for the characters to get their lines in, as well as some action scenes. If executed well, the game itself could become a movie, allowing for those not interested in watching someone play the game experience the Ghostbusters storyline and humor.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

But then it wouldn't be a game.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Why not put some time into it and make a youtube video with just the cutscenes?  

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Eelcire
    @dsplayer1010:
    Sure it would, still have to play and beat the game to unlock said feature. Plus, not everybody wants to watch someone play six hours of game to enjoy Ghostbusters. A feature such as movie mode would allow non-game fans of Ghostbusters to still enjoy the storyline and humor of the game, only presented as a movie in a much shorter amount of time.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010
    @Eelcire: Ah. I guess that would make sense.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By OmegaPirate

Metal Gear solid did this with metal gear subsistance pack on the ps2 - it came with an extra disc which was basically the whole of mgs3 - cut together with gameplay recorded between the cutscenes - apparently a lot of people had trouble completing that game, so the decision to make the story an experiance for everyone was taken

I for one totally agree with this practice -it surely cant take up much time if they cut footage from the playtesting
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

Why not just sit down and watch the actual movies with them?

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eelcire
    @CenturionCajun:
    I have. The Ghostbusters game is just another story in the Ghostbusters universe that isn't available as just a DVD to watch.

As OmegaPirate mentioned with the Metal Gear series, and with Xenosaga as well, certain types of games are made with an extra emphasis on the narrative. These types of game should also offer an option to just watch the story unfold; this should be especially true over a series of games like Metal Gear or Xenosaga where there is a long period of time between releases. A movie mode would allow for a quick catch-up on the story before playing the next game in the series. Ghostbusters, while not an epic story like the other examples, still has a heavier emphasis on the story; the game itself is structured as a movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.