Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Games for Windows - Live

Concept »

Microsoft's PC branch of its Live service. Lends the same functionality as Xbox Live Gold to Games For Windows games including cross-platform compatibility for achievements, friends & messages, downloadable content, and in some cases, multiplayer.

Do you wish GFWL was better supported?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I know we all love Steam, I've bought tons of games during this years summer sale, but do you wish GFWL was on par with Steam or better? I would love it because I personally don't want to own another console, I have a ps3 and wii, but I really want to get some achievement points and some xbox exclusives. They had a good start, they launched it with Halo 2 and had the original Gears of War on the service, but slowly stopped caring, where's Halo 3 and Gears of War 2? I think this is a missed opportunity, all they had to do was mimic what they already had on xbox and it would have been amazing. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I wish it was better supported as well.  As an Xbox 360 user, it was cool to have achievement points, friends list, and some other stuff across two platforms.  There are some games that are coming out that will use it, but I would like more games to use it.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TotalEklypse

hah fuck live for windows. that  is all. 

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Like @JJOR64: said, more games with achievement points would be nice, but if you're talking about the GFWL client itself? It needs to have some pretty amazing sales to be talked about like Steam is.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1
    @TotalEklypse said:
    " hah fuck live for windows. that  is all.  "
    Care to elaborate? 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    " Like @JJOR64: said, more games with achievement points would be nice, but if you're talking about the GFWL client itself? It needs to have some pretty amazing sales to be talked about like Steam is. "
    Maybe not in terms of sales but imagine Summer of Arcade extended to GFWL or every XBLA game also launched on GFWL on day one. I mean how hard can it be programming for the PC?
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Impossibilium

MS should just team up with Valve and incorporate all their features into Steam. GFWL is so poorly supported both with games and offerings it's hardly worth having and Steam achievements are useless if they only exist on Steam for Steam users.

Like PSN Trophies are useless when Sony won't allow outside devs like GB to use the stats elsewhere.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @TotalEklypse said:
    Care to elaborate?  "
    normally i would kill you for asking something so stupid once i said "that is all" but if you insist on details then fine. shit for games, shit support, shit interface, just plain shit. why would i use that trash when steam is right there. or any other number of places to do my pc gaming. it was another half ass attempt by MS to do the "me too" positioning they are known for and flounder with. innovation is not something discussed in their little circle of retardation. or even if it is.. they so poorly execute it becomes a total time waste for them and their users. so ahem. fuck live for windows =)
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By borodin

Tbh I wish it would just die.  There are just so many things I dislike about it it's hard to know where to start... defaulting my MSN login (which isnt the same as my Live profile) to the email address my Live profile is associated with *every* time I play a GFWL game is super-fun (not) I mean why does it do that? Oh ! you're playing a game on your computer! Hold on! Just let me make it easier for you to sign into MSN! It sounds petty but that sums up my feelings about GFWL, it doesn't do *anything* to aid me in playing games, it's just another layer of crap to piss me off. 

As for the lack of Halo 3 and Gears (or other Xbox exclusives) that's not really relevant is it? It's not as if MS *couldn't* have released those games for PC in absence of GFWL, it's not GFWL's fault they chose not to, and likewise it wouldn't have made GFWL itself better if they had. The idea that recreating the Xbox experience of Live on the PC is nice in theory I guess, but it's (to my mind) completely misguided right off the bat. My PC isn't an Xbox..... I don't need/want it to act like one

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1
    @TotalEklypse said:
    " @RE_Player92 said:
    " @TotalEklypse said:
    Care to elaborate?  "
    normally i would kill you for asking something so stupid once i said "that is all" but if you insist on details then fine. shit for games, shit support, shit interface, just plain shit. why would i use that trash when steam is right there. or any other number of places to do my pc gaming. it was another half ass attempt by MS to do the "me too" positioning they are known for and flounder with. innovation is not something discussed in their little circle of retardation. or even if it is.. they so poorly execute it becomes a total time waste for them and their users. so ahem. fuck live for windows =) "
    I think you meant fuck Games for Windows Live not live for windows :) I'm glad you didn't kill me because that would have been bad for me ahahahahahahaha maybe you should fill in your mini bio to say, " If anyone replies to me I will kill them!" 
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By demontium

Duh, why wouldn't we? 

Who would want anything to stay crappy?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1
    @demontium said:
    " Duh, why wouldn't we?  Who would want anything to stay crappy? "
    Well maybe you would want them to completely forget about GFWL and focus on other services... DUHHHHHH
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

When I first got a game with GFW-L I loved the idea. The idea of an xbox-like persistent interface and account, where all my friends could be combined, gamerscore and all that, the same account and email, cross-platform communication. 

But then the severe lack of games supporting it made it just annoying.  

The point is, at the time I played one, I wish it would become widely supported. 

Now it's just a damn hassle to deal with, and steam is superior.

Chadwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chadwick

Steam's better than GFWL for one of the same reasons OpenGL is better than DirectX. They support Linux and Mac in addition to Windows.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1
    @cuirass said:
    " Steam's better than GFWL for one of the same reasons OpenGL is better than DirectX. They support Linux and Mac in addition to Windows. "
    Very good point. 
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I think the only game I've played that supports Games for Windows Live is Dawn of War 2 and it's a decent service that I mostly like cause it's linked to my XBL account, whereas Steam is it's own thing. If they improve it and market the service better then more people might actually it.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By demontium
    Avatar image for lordruperteverton
    LordRupertEverton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GFWL sucks. some of my games on steam require it, and there is no point at all, it just gets in the way.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1
    @demontium said:
    " @RE_Player92 said:

" @demontium said:

" Duh, why wouldn't we?  Who would want anything to stay crappy? "
    Well maybe you would want them to completely forget about GFWL and focus on other services... DUHHHHHH "
    Finally found it. 
    Found what?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.