• 187 results
Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unilad

Okay...this sounds like a really weird topic. However...recently due to medical issues I've had to give up alcohol, which sucks when your 21! However...since giving it up..I'll felt so so so much better! I go out, still have a great time, and never suffer any pain in the morning! Now don't get me wrong...I miss the days when I used (like back at University) to get shitfaced, then wake up in the living room of a perfect strangers house half naked with no recollection of what the fuck happened, other than......it was messy.

But....since graduating...its not that big a deal.

I used to believe whole heartedly in Sinatra's quote "I feel sorry for people who don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, they know thats the best they are going to feel all day!". I used to think people who didn't drink just plain fucking weird! (not as weird as vegans for that matter but thats another story). However, I've changed my mind. Now...I still drink non-alcoholic beer...which whilst you may call super lame...I actually quite like. I found that Becks Blue tastes exactly the same!

I just wanted to know what you guys think?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JCTango

@Unilad: I'm sort of in the same boat - I can't drink due to medical reasons - but I have drank a little before... from that experience, I can say it was somewhat of a blessing in disguise that it was advised for me not to drink - because I think I would've loved the booze a bit too much.

Sometimes I wish I could taste some of the drinks out there, but it's ok - you don't absolutely need alcohol to enjoy yourself.

PS: I don't know your condition, but be careful about non-alcoholic beer - I've read that they aren't totally non-alcoholic.. they still may contain some amount of it due to the way they're processed/manufactured. There are some that taste pretty good though.

legendlexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By legendlexicon

I just turned 21 a couple days ago. I plan on never drinking, and I'm doing just fine. You'll be fine.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

When you get older and it's been legal to drink for a while, booze loses a lot of its mysticism anyway.

I enjoy a beer every once in a while, but I could live without it

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im Japanese so its not like I really like alcohol.  Alcohol in general just tastes like ass and I know youre supposed to down that shit but whatever.....  Im not necessarily a light weight either 

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By HH

i hardly drink anymore, i don't miss it, i don't think it suited me like it does some people,

now if only they could legalize weed so i wouldn't have to go and meet that shady guy on the corner and feel like a fifteen year old dropout who just snuck out of the damn house.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I like to drink and I don't give two fucks what people think about it. If you don't like it, good for you but you don't need to be a preachy douche about how you don't like drinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

If you don't like it, good for you but you don't need to be a preachy douche about how you don't like drinking.

In general I find the opposite attitude to be more prevalent. (And equally douchey.)
Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strife777

I'm 21 and except for a rare sip here and there, I've never had any alcohol and I don't plan on drinking any ever. It's not for crazy reasons, I just don't like it and I don't see the point. With that said, I wouldn't call it overrated, it's just not for me. Some people need to learn to drink though, and stop chugging shit just to get drunk, at least appreciate the taste.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hangedtoaster

I know I'm without a doubt a social drinker, I don't think I've ever had a drink unless I'm in the company of friends, it makes me out to be some sort of binge alcholic since I only really heavily drink maybe 4 times in a month. Or is this just me trying to tell myself I don't have a problem? Crap...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Alcohol in general just tastes like ass and I know youre supposed to down that shit but whatever..... Im not necessarily a light weight either

Keeping in mind that I'm a lightweight myself, I think it doesn't taste that bad..........

Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Marokai said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

If you don't like it, good for you but you don't need to be a preachy douche about how you don't like drinking.

In general I find the opposite attitude to be more prevalent.

Have you seen the threads on the topic of alcohol on this forum before? It always involves people who don't drink taking a holier than thou stance.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Alcohol in general just tastes like ass and I know youre supposed to down that shit but whatever..... Im not necessarily a light weight either

Keeping in mind that I'm a lightweight myself, I think it doesn't taste that bad..........

I still hate the taste of beer.  Its gross to me.  I can deal with vodka for some strange reason and Im alright with Cuban rum but everything else just tastes horrible.  
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

@Marokai said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

In general I find the opposite attitude to be more prevalent.

Have you seen the threads on the topic of alcohol on this forum before? It always involves people who don't drink taking a holier than thou stance.

I suppose it does depend on the setting, but in general I've found more people treat me like a weirdo for choosing not to drink much than seeing people be preachy assholes. Both are really stupid and neither side should care about someone's personal drinking or smoking habits except to say they should be responsible. That's not a sexy opinion, I know, but I think people forget how stupid and weird shaming others for not drinking is. Peer pressure doesn't just exist in pamphlets or after school specials.
Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Nadril

I love good craft beer (Had a Ruination tonight) but I've never been a big fan of getting real drunk. Don't like dealing with it the next day.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Devil240Z

I drink to dull the pain. I don't do it for fun or to have a good time. Just so I can sleep at night.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By impartialgecko

I'm not a drinker. Always had a problem with not being fully in control of myself. Waking up and not knowing what happened the night before is disturbing to me. Same thing with drugs, anything that takes control away is something I won't touch. Just a personal thing for me. I don't have a problem with drinking per se, it's just not for me.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Tylea002

Drinking ain't for me, I don't get why you'd do it, but each to their own.

And I've found a way more holier than thou attitude (in real lie at least) with people who do drink, looking down on those who don't want to as weaker for some unknown reason. It's rather annoying.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Unilad

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

I like to drink and I don't give two fucks what people think about it. If you don't like it, good for you but you don't need to be a preachy douche about how you don't like drinking.

Dude chill the fuck out. I'm not being preachy! Did you read what I wrote?! I CAN'T drink! Its not really a choice! I wrote about my REALISATION (hence I liked alcohol before) that its not that bad without it! I'm NOT telling you to not drink!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandude

Definitely. I drink every now and then, but only spirits. Drunk people are the absolute worst though. I would never be comfortable with having been "that drunk fuck I met on my way home" to someone.

Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@Unilad said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

Dude chill the fuck out. I'm not being preachy! Did you read what I wrote?! I CAN'T drink! Its not really a choice! I wrote about my REALISATION (hence I liked alcohol before) that its not that bad without it! I'm NOT telling you to not drink!

My comment wasn't directed at you, more at the inevitable stream of people who will comment on this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

Perfect example of why you should read the OP before posting.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says

My parents let me drink vodka and such at family gatherings/dinners at 16 and if anything it has helped learn exactly how one should drink in social situations. Listen, kids are going to drink anyway so you might as well teach them how to do it right instead of having them drink entire bottles of liquor and act like idiots (endangering themselves and others).

I don't think alcohol is overrated, it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By tread311

Beer or any alcholic drink does not have to be tackled with the "down that shit" mentality. Plenty of us genuinely enjoy the stuff for the taste and even more so now with the increasing popularity of craft beer. To try one or two of the generics and form the opinion that you don't like beer is fairly silly as there are many different styles that all taste wildly different. You just have to figure out what appeals to you.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nadril

@tread311 said:

Beer or any alcholic drink does not have to be tackled with the "down that shit" mentality. Plenty of us genuinely enjoy the stuff for the taste and even more so now with the increasing popularity of craft beer. To try one or two of the generics and form the opinion that you don't like beer is fairly silly as there are many different styles that all taste wildly different. You just have to figure out what appeals to you.

Agreed. Craft Beer is fucking awesome. I used to think I didn't like beer (and yeah, it is an acquired taste much like anything really good) but once I started to branch out I found out stuff that is better than the big macro brews.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By apathylad
@Marokai
@Extreme_Popcorn said:

In general I find the opposite attitude to be more prevalent. (And equally douchey.)
I had a bit of a fallout with one of my friends. In hindsight it's kinda funny, but he would bash me for liking things like toys and video games, and turn around say how I should be out partying like him. And yes, he's a bit of a drinker and a pot smoker.
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DukesT3

Nah but everyone is different. Helps numb the pain for me.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Unilad

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

@Unilad said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

My comment wasn't directed at you, more at the inevitable stream of people who will comment on this thread.

Okay cool. I'll admit the title of the thread is preachy......and for that I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to be, The intention was to merely catch peoples attention.

legendlexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By legendlexicon

My family, especially my dad's side, is known for their drinking abilities. My dad is an every man's party man, invited to all the parties (of all ages) and has even has a celebration called Woodika (had shirts made at one point), with drinking full time for about two weeks. I was there once for the whole thing. I love him to death, but I've been around drunks my whole life, and I've seen what it can do to people. Thankfully he respects my decision, and actually enjoys the fact that I don't drink. Many of the people around him don't share this view though. Once I brought a math book to read while I was at one, and the look on their faces was priceless.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Unilad

@Nadril said:

@tread311 said:

Agreed. Craft Beer is fucking awesome. I used to think I didn't like beer (and yeah, it is an acquired taste much like anything really good) but once I started to branch out I found out stuff that is better than the big macro brews.

@tread311 said:

Yeah couldn't agree more. I don't miss getting drunk....but I miss the ability to enjoy a good beer, especially micro brewery productions

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By AssInAss

Drinking alcohol doesn't actually better your life lol, you can live without it.

The only health benefit it has is to reduce the risk of gallstones. Otherwise, it's just bad all around for your health and mental well-being.

And you stink!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Sooperspy

Definitely.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Unilad said:

recently due to medical issues I've had to give up alcohol

Wait.... that's a thing?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ervonymous

I was a douchebag teetotaler until a couple of years ago but I got over myself, I was missing out on some delicious beverages. It was weird to come around to it and see my family and friends be all shocked and surprised.

"Overrated" shouldn't even be a word.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By Draugen

I don't really drink any more, apart from the occasional beer, but I miss it like crazy. When I regained consciousness at 10 am, standing next to a river I didn't know the name of, puking until my face hurt, I made the decision that this part of my life was over. That's 6 years ago, and I haven't been drunk since.

But I miss the good times that came with it. Like getting hammered enough to come to a consensus that pushing a shoppingcart with two of my friends in it down a particularly long flight of stairs was a good idea.

Good times, good times.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeforgotten

No, I wouldn't call it overrated. 
My liver hates me now and hurts like a motherfucker if I drink too much at any time but other than that it tastes alright. 
I don't need alcohol to have fun though, that's for damn sure. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You sound convinced of yourself and your actions, good to see you're starting to see things a little different.

Alcohol, meh what can I say.
I drink a glass of wine almost every night, two if I'm feeling crazy but that's as far as I go personally.
If anyone around me, or in the club, gets totally drunk I'm out, I rather be at home with a good book than spend time with any drunk people.
Alcohol really transforms some people and I've had enough bad experiences with it for a lifetime.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghostiet

I think sobriety is overrated.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bell_End

no, in moderation and used responsably a good drink now and again is great.

but like with anything... if you have 'too much' then its bad for you and will f you in the a

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fattony12000

THE DRINKS ARE ON ME!

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SharkEthic

As I've gotten older, I don't really drink myself shitfaced anymore - I don't have the time for hangovers. I do, however, drink quite often and I LOVE getting buzzed. Downing a six pack while playing through Journey is one of the best times in recent memory.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By galiant

The world would be a better place without alcoholic drinks.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I can't say I enjoy getting really drunk any more (I'm 24). The hangover I get these days is surely not worth it either. I still really like to drink beer though (good beer is like the best beverage), but when it comes to getting some enjoyment out of beeing intoxicated, I'd much rather smoke. Not saying this to be that guy, but it's just dawned on me. I don't really get much enjoyment out of being drunk except being able to hangout with other drunk people.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I drank and smoked marijuana a lot in junior high (which is WAY TOO YOUNG), which I both regret and and glad about, since it let me get that experimenting out of the way early enough to know that's not what I like to do at all. When I go to parties or spend time with friends who do that stuff now (I'm 20 currently), people don't understand why I wouldn't want to do that stuff. I just have no interest in it anymore whatsoever.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ares42

Drinking/drugs is important for life experience. While most people move on at some point, almost all of them have experienced a ton of different things (both good and bad) that they would never experience without it. Going the sober route only means you're cheating yourself of some good old character building. I didn't really discover alcohol before my late 20s, and I definitely regret not getting to experience the traditional "drunk college" experience.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I only drink alcohol if it complements what I'm eating. Stuff like sushi goes well with sake and so forth.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#47  Edited By kalmis

No.

Then again I don't drink to get drunk. Got recently introduced to rum again, which is something I couldn't stomach 15 years ago At this age it is much easier appereciate. Like fine single malt.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Arbie

I don't really drink. I will if I go out to an event like a wedding or what have you, if I feel like it anyway. But I just don't see the appeal in going out to get drunk anymore. I did it when I was a kid and had fun, but doing it as an adult was pretty lame.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Whatever you say buddy.... Whatever you say.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By korolev

Having never taken a sip of recreational alcohol in my life (I have accidentally swallowed a tiny amount of listerine which does contain alcohol), I can't say. I will say that while I don't regret my decision to not drink, it has grievously damaged my social life because everyone else at Uni drinks - even the hyper-religious students (not that I would have much in common with them, being non-religious). So while everyone is out there having a great time, I'm stuck with my boring sober self on weekends. Well the jokes on them - I'll live longer than they do!