What is the most annoying double standard to you?

• 159 results
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Man I hate double standards! Which ones bother you the most?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bicycleham

Hitting women is wrong.

Probably gonna get a lot of hate for that.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By cexantus

@Xolare:

As you should.

Hitting women is wrong, just like hitting anyone is wrong.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@cexantus said:

@Xolare:

As you should.

I think he means a woman hitting a man is generally seen as not a big deal, while a man hitting a woman results in that man being seen as an inhuman monster.

Why do I get the feeling a lot of these double standards are going to be gender based?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My own

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Nah I feel you. My younger brother was suspended from school once for defending himself from two girls that were attacking him. He also got a broken nose from the three guys that jumped him while he was defending himself from the girls. So yeah, totally feel you on that one.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Terramagi

2 posts in and this is well on its way into turning into a /mensrights/ circlejerk.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@FlarePhoenix said:

@cexantus said:

@Xolare:

As you should.

I think he means a woman hitting a man is generally seen as not a big deal, while a man hitting a woman results in that man being seen as an inhuman monster.

Why do I get the feeling a lot of these double standards are going to be gender based?

I hope it doesn't honestly. Granted, it probably doesn't help that I've partaken in such discussion already but that was not the original intention of this thread.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

@FlarePhoenix said:

@cexantus said:

@Xolare:

As you should.

Because there's a lot of gender based double standards?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NegativeCero

I saw that one coming a mile away. Didn't expect it so soon though.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Terramagi: Feel free to change that, or just continue to not contribute anything as you usually seem to do.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Nah I feel you. My younger brother was suspended from school once for defending himself from two girls that were attacking him. He also got a broken nose from the three guys that jumped him while he was defending himself from the girls. So yeah, totally feel you on that one.

Three guys and two girls ganged up on your brother? But....why?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By mscupcakes

Since we're already talking about gender double standards, how about the fact that a guy that sleeps with a lot of women is considered to be some sort of player where if a women sleeps with a lot of men she's considered a whore?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Claiming someone's opinion is wrong but yours is right

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Bocam

@SomeDeliCook said:

Claiming someone's opinion is wrong but yours is right

This is the worst.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PillClinton

Why doesn't the OP give an example...?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Well this didn't so much take a turn as it did fall off a cliff.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Short answer: Kids are assholes.

Long answer: My brother was frequently teased and harassed by these two girls during his freshman year. One particular day he must have finally reached his breaking point and called one of the girls something along the lines of "a massive bitch". Like 99% of bullies, they can dish it but they can't take it and her response was to kick him in the scrotum, and soon after both of them were kicking him while he was on the ground. After they stopped he got up and grabbed one of the girls by the hair and threw her to the ground, and punched the other girl in face. After doing so, three nearby guys who were present the whole time then ganged up on him and beat the hell out of him, while one of the girls grabbed a teacher and said that he hit her. One thing led to another and he was suspended, along with two of the three guys that were beating him up. The girls didn't get in trouble as far as I know.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@PillClinton said:

In retrospect I certainly should have. I will throw one out there though:

I'm not overweight myself, but I hate it when you see a fat kid eating some food and people just assume "what a fatass no wonder he's huge", while if people see a really skinny kid eating it's just "wow what an apetite, but he's a growing boy!"

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@PillClinton said:

In retrospect I certainly should have. I will throw one out there though:

I'm not overweight myself, but I hate it when you see a fat kid eating some food and people just assume "what a fatass no wonder he's huge", while if people see a really skinny kid eating it's just "wow what an apetite, but he's a growing boy!"

Because the skinny kid either has a metabolism that is incredibly different from the other kid, or one of them has a lot less control over his/her food intake. I don't think it's right to have such thoughts of an overweight person eating well, or even unabashedly. Obesity is often a consequence of a deeper psychological problem - from what I gather most times associated with neediness. It's not like I think "oh poor person, look at him devour that burger" or "oh what a fatass", I just think that we all have our problems.

Anyway, this thread has gone to shit. I'm out!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

I kind of thought this was supposed to be about gender in the first place and was all ready to go get some popcorn. Now I just sense a locking.

Anyway, here's a biological double standard: Why is it that some of us only need about five or six hours of sleep a night but others - like my unlucky ass - needs a whole eight or nine? I hate that, I'd rather sleep less and do more.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Short answer: Kids are assholes.

Long answer: My brother was frequently teased and harassed by these two girls during his freshman year. One particular day he must have finally reached his breaking point and called one of the girls something along the lines of "a massive bitch". Like 99% of bullies, they can dish it but they can't take it and her response was to kick him in the scrotum, and soon after both of them were kicking him while he was on the ground. After they stopped he got up and grabbed one of the girls by the hair and threw her to the ground, and punched the other girl in face. After doing so, three nearby guys who were present the whole time then ganged up on him and beat the hell out of him, while one of the girls grabbed a teacher and said that he hit her. One thing led to another and he was suspended, along with two of the three guys that were beating him up. The girls didn't get in trouble as far as I know.

Alright, while it wasn't fair the girls and one of the guys weren't punished, that is a little different than "My younger brother got suspended just for defending himself from girls". I'm not saying they shouldn't have been punished, but I do think it was right he was punished considering he attacked them after they had stopped attacking him. Still, it isn't fair when that happens.

I once, while on an excursion, had a girl lean on me for no conceivable reason. I pushed her off (with just enough force to get her off me) and I was suddenly labelled a girl-basher for more of my school life. The girl in question then had two of her male friends come to me, and tell me if I ever hurt her again they would make sure I regretted it. So yeah, school is a horrible place; I just laugh when people say it's the best time of your life.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@FlarePhoenix: You have to consider that he had been taking this abuse for about two years from these girls, and he was physically assaulted by them in front of nearly all of his classmates. I would say that his loss of control is easily justifiable. Certainly he should have been punished to some extent, but the fact that the staff (who are all coincidentally women) were completely unwilling to listen to his side of the story just because he hit a girl was pretty damned infuriating.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@believer258 said:

I kind of thought this was supposed to be about gender in the first place and was all ready to go get some popcorn. Now I just sense a locking.

Anyway, here's a biological double standard: Why is it that some of us only need about five or six hours of sleep a night but others - like my unlucky ass - needs a whole eight or nine? I hate that, I'd rather sleep less and do more.

Probably a mix of genetics and physical health. I remember when I was in tip top shape I could easily get around 6 hours of sleep and feel like a champion. Now that I'm no longer in shape I require at least eight hours of sleep.

Edit: Thought of another one. When I was a kid I used to fucking hate how when I was sick if my Mom came home from work and saw me playing video games she would get angry and say "if you're well enough to play those games you should have gone to school!". But if she came home and I was watching television she would say a fucking word to me.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@FlarePhoenix: You have to consider that he had been taking this abuse for about two years from these girls, and he was physically assaulted by them in front of nearly all of his classmates. I would say that his loss of control is easily justifiable. Certainly he should have been punished to some extent, but the fact that the staff (who are all coincidentally women) were completely unwilling to listen to his side of the story just because he hit a girl was pretty damned infuriating.

Oh, don't get me wrong, as someone who went through constant abuse all through primary school, high school, and the first year of university I understand what he must have been going through. As I said, I do not agree with the teacher's decision not to punish the girls; although it is sometimes hard for them since popular kids tend to be better liars, and will back each other up to reinforce the lie. All I meant was what actually happened was a tad different than your original telling of him getting in trouble for defending himself. I'm sorry but attacking someone after they've stopped attacking you is not defending yourself, it is just seeking revenge.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

all of them pretty much.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@believer258 said:

Probably a mix of genetics and physical health. I remember when I was in tip top shape I could easily get around 6 hours of sleep and feel like a champion. Now that I'm no longer in shape I require at least eight hours of sleep.

Edit: Thought of another one. When I was a kid I used to fucking hate how when I was sick if my Mom came home from work and saw me playing video games she would get angry and say "if you're well enough to play those games you should have gone to school!". But if she came home and I was watching television she would say a fucking word to me.

Well that is a little different. Watching television doesn't require you to actually do anything, but a video game, even if it's only minor, does require you to be moving and focusing intently on the screen.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@FlarePhoenix: Ah I understand, I should have properly worded my statement then.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By korolev

Political Double Standards:

Political A is caught doing something wrong. Supporters of Politician A: "Oh well, you know, that's just how the game is played! He wouldn't do it if the other guys weren't! He's not a bad guy, everyone makes mistakes, we're all human, right? Look at all the good things he's done, you can't expect someone to be perfect!"

Politician B is caught doing the exact same thing. Supporters of Politician A: "HE IS THE WORST SCUM IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE AND A TOTALLY, 100% EVIL DESPICABLE HUMAN BEING WITH NO STANDARDS AND HE IS THE DOWNFALL OF AMERICA/UK/ANY NATION!!!!! THROW HIM IN JAIL! HOW EVIL HE IS!"

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@FlarePhoenix said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@believer258 said:

Well that is a little different. Watching television doesn't require you to actually do anything, but a video game, even if it's only minor, does require you to be moving and focusing intently on the screen.

Not different enough to actually matter. Eating food requires more energy than watching tv, so does getting up to use the bathroom.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunter5024

@mscupcakes said:

Since we're already talking about gender double standards, how about the fact that a guy that sleeps with a lot of women is considered to be some sort of player where if a women sleeps with a lot of men she's considered a whore?

The only person who thinks they're a player is the guy himself. I think guys can be slutty. We're kind of genetically predisposed towards it when compared to women however, and because they hold the power of veto I can see where the double standard came from.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Hunter5024 said:

@mscupcakes said:

The only person who thinks they're a player is the guy himself. I think guys can be slutty. We're kind of genetically predisposed towards it when compared to women however, and because they hold the power of veto I can see where the double standard came from.

Totally agree. It doesn't help though that a lot of women will also think of him as a player as well though, some even finding it attractive.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@mscupcakes said:

Totally agree. It doesn't help though that a lot of women will also think of him as a player as well though, some even finding it attractive.

Well I don't know about that. I've never met a girl that lame.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm

This is bound to be a great topic.

This isn't a double standard, but everybody should be encouraged and demanded that they find their passion and live to their full potential.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Hunter5024: I was just stating what my wife just told me! XD

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hunter5024

@believer258 said:

That kind of stuff is based less on biology and more on the quality of sleep someone is getting because of things like their bed, light, and noise. 8-9 is actually normal, 5-6 hours will leave you a generally low energy depressed person. I need like 10 unfortunately.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pezen

I am sure there are plenty of double standards with a lot if things, not alll gender based. I think gender aside, I don't care for when people have two different rulesets for themselves and their significant other. For example, a guy have a lot (and get more) of female friends but questions every guy his girlfriend befriends. Or vice versa.

Too early and not enough coffe.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@mscupcakes said:

Because it takes skill and charm to sleep with a lot of women, it takes little to no charm to sleep with a lot of men.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By Noct

I think racism is the most egregious one out there personally. I wouldn't be surprised if I get some hate on this one, but it's something that has always bothered me greatly. Put simply, the majority is crucified if they hint at saying something that can be construed as racist or prejudiced, but minorities seem to just get a pass on all of it, and it seems to primarily be based on bleeding heart mentalities or white-guilt about past atrocities. It doesn't actually do anything to unify anyone; quite the opposite in my book.

I get that "white people" have traditionally been in power in the western world, which automatically leads to the subjugation of other races in times of intolerance, but at some point you have to let it go and start on a level playing field if you're ever going to get past it. The more you rally behind, "we are different, respect it!", the more you just point out people's differences. Affirmative action, Ebonics etc... are all just ways to divide people. Ebonics especially just drives me bananas. Here we have what is without argument nothing more then a deconstruction of our language, or a broken version of it so to speak, and they teach it in schools; that to me is just total insanity. If a minority group decided tomorrow that Pig-Latin was going to be their "culture", would we then recognize it as a language and teach it in college?

The intentions behind it may be good, but that doesn't mean the outcome is. I could have gotten a lot of extra monies and considerations if I had applied to colleges using my Native American heritage, and I unequivocally refused to do so. I just don't believe I have the right to expect something because generations ago my ancestors were persecuted. What the hell does that have to do with me?

People like Al Sharpton and Jeremiah Wright come to mind... I just don't understand why their "reverse racism" (*cough, bullshit term, it's all racism) is acceptable in today's society. The more you practice speech that seprerates people into groups, the longer this shit is going to last. My great grandmother grew up on a reservation, and by the time I was born and she was living with us, she had let go of any and all hate towards "whitey"; I just don't understand why it's so hard for other cultures to do the same thing. You don't see "Native American" Entertainment networks, or NA Awards ceremonies, and thank the lord for that... I'm not suggesting things like BET are "wrong" or should be disbanded, I just hate the divisiveness of it all.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By csl316

I was in a diversity class at work today, dude called white people honkies. But no one cared! (granted, I laughed because it was so terrible)

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Mrsignerman44: lol

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FlarePhoenix

Some Nintendo Fans: All of those EA sports titles are a rip off; I can't believe EA can get away with charging full price for the same game again and again. What's this?! Another 2D Mario sidescroller? Oh my god, Nintendo is the best company ever

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JazGalaxy

Here's my pet peeve:

I'm black and I grew up in Ohio. My mom was really into reading and teaching us to read as we grew up and as a result, I have extremely good diction and a regional accent that's considered pretty standard. I get told I sound like a newsman pretty frequently.

I moved to Texas about halfway through my life, and down here, everyone has the worst diction imaginable. They draw out their words, they add syllables that shouldn't exist and take away ones that are necessary. They "drawl" out most words until their almost unintelligble. This is all, one would say, an "accent". A way of speaking that's regional and nonstandard.

The double standard comes in when these people, who are frequently white, talk about how urban people, who are usually black, speak with ignorant comments like "why don't they just learn english". Or any number of other variations to the effect that they believe they speak english "right" and people of other ethnicities speak it "poorly" and this is an effect of their being "stupid".

I even got into a debate one time about the concept that a lot of text books and whatnot are written by white people, for white people. He couldn't understand how, if the book was actually written in "proper" english, it would look a lot less like what he was familiar with and a lot more like Canterbury tales or something.

Everything is an accent.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also this has nothing to do with anything 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@JazGalaxy said:

Everything is an accent.

I was gonna point out the double standard in your post until this part at the end. Now I'm gonna do it, only with slightly less strength than I initially would have.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

When somebody tells you not to do something, and then goes and does exactly what they told you not to do.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@mscupcakes said:

I feel confident in saying I know why it exists, but I don't feel I could write it out without someone taking it the wrong way...

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Chop

@mscupcakes said:

I agree with this one. I hate it.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

When a baby runs around in public in their underpants its just soooo cute, but when I do it suddenly it's all "call the cops! lock up the deviant!"

What a bunch of bullroar.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Ace829

@Chop said:

@mscupcakes said:

I agree with this one. I hate it.

I also hate the inverse where a woman who never has sex is "pure" and then a man who never has sex is a "basement dwelling loser".