Should I go to my prom (under these circumstances)

• 78 results
DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic

Hey guys just getting a lot of opinions because I am curious what others would do in my situation. My family has been going through a lot of hard times. Both my parents lost their jobs, I've had to take on a part time job at a Canadian Tire and deliver newspapers, every little bit counts, and we have sold the majority of our belongings just to get by. I regret to say that this post isn't even from my computer, I'm at my local library right now since its the only entertainment I can afford, the price of FREE. To get to the point my prom is this year and by looking over my families situation me going would put a real strain my families current savings. My pay barely gets us the meals we need as a family, and I'm an only child so no telling me my siblings should get jobs too lol. So should I go to my prom? Is one night of luxury really worth the weeks or months of recouping the costs of what has to be spent? This is my decision in the end but i just want as many opinions as possible.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

Wow, so sorry to hear that. Considering the circumstances I think you shouldn't go. I think it is better for the future of you and your family. It may be tough, but that's what happens. I wish you and your family the best.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Nick

Just go to the after party, that's usually the only good part anyway and you don't have to pay for it.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

Its really not worth it in my opinion. My date and i, along with are buddies left our prom about an hour in and went to a steak n' shake. Then after prom we went back to my friends house and got drunk with everyone. The real fun of prom night is the after parties so i say skip prom and then just go to the after parties.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By torus

I would say no. I went to one and didn't go to the other, you won't be missing out on all that much (if it's at all like mine). 

How much does it cost, anyway? 

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bulletbeast

Dude, go to the fucking prom, granted u cant make ur parents pay 4 it all but it sounds like ur life is pretty shitty right now and if u dont go wild and have fun now then ur never gonna.  
Money cant buy happiness, but money can buy experiances and experiances can bring happiness. enjoy life and go to a kick ass prom
DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic
@torus:
$100 plus I have to get a suit and car, since I have neither, so that rental cost has to be accounted for as well. Plus I'll have to pay for my date most likely so thats another ticket.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93

You never mentioned if you even have someone to go with... 

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wear a sweatsuit, your mom can be your date, and ride a bycicle.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By dethfish

I sort of know what you're going through. My family is having some financial problems as well. I'm still looking for a full time job to help my mom get by.  

Prom is dumb anyways. It's only for the "cool kids" who have "dates" and "pants".

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lashe

If you can contribute to most of the cost, I'd say go for it. You're not going to get the chance again really.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gizmo

We don't have these "Proms" over here in Ye Olde England.

If you go there, you might get a girl pregnant, and then that kid will be even poorer then you. So don't get into any relationships until you have a decent income.

DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic
@SJSchmidt93:
well I don't have to, is that acceptable not bringing someone?
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich
@bulletbeast said:
" Dude, go to the fucking prom, granted u cant make ur parents pay 4 it all but it sounds like ur life is pretty shitty right now and if u dont go wild and have fun now then ur never gonna.  Money cant buy happiness, but money can buy experiances and experiances can bring happiness. enjoy life and go to a kick ass prom "
this, man.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I'm sorry for your hardships, but I think you've already answered your own question...

I mean, prom is pretty damn expensive (think about it: the tux, gift for date, limo, dance tickets, food afterwards, etc.) 

I would just attend the after party like someone earlier suggested; prom is overrated my friend.

DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic
@Dethfish77 said:
"

I sort of know what you're going through. My family is having some financial problems as well. I'm still looking for a full time job to help my mom get by.  

Prom is dumb anyways. It's only for the "cool kids" who have "dates" and "pants".

"

gotta admit i kinda like what this guy said....... lol
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By lemon360

not worth it

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alsnuts2

I went to the local university theater department and scored a bright orange tux and white shoes and was the hit of the prom all for the low low price of zero! (Not counting the pre-dance bottle of J. Daniels)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

Prom is for chicks dude.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

Under those circumstances, it is definitely not worth it to go to prom.

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Themanohall

No, you shouldn't.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#22  Edited By skrutop

Are you a junior or senior?  If you're a junior, skip it.

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hamlaser

Not worth it at all. If it was like 25 bucks a ticket then maybe, but 100 a ticket is retarded.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrankCanada97
@DBZ_Fanatic:  Don't you guys have a semi-formal or something like that? Those are usually cheaper than proms and it's basically the same thing.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By torus

Most proms are just a weak-ass party. It's honestly not worth the money- I opted not to go, and I could afford it. 

If you want to have fun, as someone said, just go to the after party. 

Also, why are you thinking about the prom at this point? It's only August...

DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic
@FrankCanada97:
Semi was last year and yes i went and it was cheaper but this whole situation didn't begin until after that so i lucked out. Semi just felt like a regular party but I keep on hearing DUDE ITS PROM ONCE IN A LIFETIME, just wanted to know if you guys think its overated i guess.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By FireBurger

I'd say no. If you and your family are that strapped for cash prom is just not worth it. Unfortunately, you have other more important responsibilities to take care of. If you want to have fun and let loose for a bit there are a lot cheaper ways of doing it. Just do what others have said and go to after prom.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dethfish
@DBZ_Fanatic said:
"@FrankCanada97: Semi was last year and yes i went and it was cheaper but this whole situation didn't begin until after that so i lucked out. Semi just felt like a regular party but I keep on hearing DUDE ITS PROM ONCE IN A LIFETIME, just wanted to know if you guys think its overated i guess. "
Well, it is once in a lifetime but so is death.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Snipzor

Prom is highly overrated, and in this case prom is overpriced and overrated. When I went through it I shortly went through a manic depressive state. Avoid the prom at all costs, it just isn't worth it. 

Spend time with your family, it is so much better than spending time with some people you'll never see again. Oh dear, there I go on with projection of what I went through. I'll just leave it there.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikeeegeee
@clubsandwich said:
" @bulletbeast said:
" Dude, go to the fucking prom, granted u cant make ur parents pay 4 it all but it sounds like ur life is pretty shitty right now and if u dont go wild and have fun now then ur never gonna.  Money cant buy happiness, but money can buy experiances and experiances can bring happiness. enjoy life and go to a kick ass prom "
this, man. "
GO TO PROM.
DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic
@Dethfish77 said:
"@DBZ_Fanatic said:
"@FrankCanada97: Semi was last year and yes i went and it was cheaper but this whole situation didn't begin until after that so i lucked out. Semi just felt like a regular party but I keep on hearing DUDE ITS PROM ONCE IN A LIFETIME, just wanted to know if you guys think its overated i guess. "
Well, it is once in a lifetime but so is death. "

again this guy is really convincing lol
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Snipzor
@DBZ_Fanatic said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
"@DBZ_Fanatic said:
Well, it is once in a lifetime but so is death. "
again this guy is really convincing lol "
Damn right! I wish this guy was there before I wasted my time going to the prom. 
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Tiwi
@mikeeegeee said:
" @clubsandwich said:
" @bulletbeast said:
this, man. "
GO TO PROM. "
i'll add DON'T! *
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainObvious

We don't have proms here in Poland, and when you mentioned that it costs +100$ i was like O_O 

More than 100 effing dollars for some propably weak ass party? That's a bad deal.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blair

This is such a stupidly subjective question that is only going to get you an array of responses that reflect each individual's prom night. 

If it was good, they'll say go, if not they'll say prom is bogus.

If you don't have enough money to go, you cannot go, simple enough. 

If you feel as though the economic loss is outweighed by the lifelong memories you'll be apart of at your prom then go and enjoy it.

Prom is an amazing event, but if you're going to worry about your financial strain the entire night you should save everyone the stress.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Gav47

You should go, your only going to get the chance once. 
By the way your post makes it sound like your feeding the family, if this is the case you should tell your parents to get some jobs or at the every least social benefits.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By LeetBalla

Prom is way overrated anyway, you would have more fun just going to see a movie or something.
Fiveoutafive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fiveoutafive
@MB said:
" Prom is for chicks dude. "
Agreed. As shallow as it sounds, most of my friends went to prom, no one got laid, thus none of my friends liked prom. We went home and played Halo 3 and bitched at how prom sucked.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By CL60

Prom sucks. Don't go. Especially if you have nobody to go with and have a 0% chance of getting laid.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By torus
@bulletbeast said:

And this is why so many Americans are in debt. You are almost out of High School, it's time to grow up and take responsibility for your finances.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Cerza

Sorry to hear about your situation. If I was in your shoes I would be cutting all the luxury items out as well. That said Prom is a luxury item. It's not a rite and it's not a privilige.  It's a luxury item. So if I was you I wouldn't be going. 

It's nothing special anyways. All you do is throw away a lot of money on a fancy suite, limo, girl you may not really know or care that much about, and then get drunk/high/crunk after the dance and have sex with said girl. It's like college life, but much more expensive, one night only, and in hindsight not worth the drama and expense.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#42  Edited By skrutop

Yeah, if you're to the point where you need to use a library PC because it saves money, than you probably shouldn't be tossing cash at prom.  Get your hands on some wine coolers, put a mattress in the back of the pickup, and take some skanky hooch out to secluded spot somewhere.  Getting laid is the only point of prom, anyway.

Honestly, my senior prom sucked, even though I went with a girl that I had been dating, and wound up with for 5 years.  Even though I spent a crap load of money on it, I don't look back all that often.  I wouldn't really care anymore if I'd skipped it entirely.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Sorry to hear about your situation. I believe you should decide what is most important to you. I went to several proms but I hardly remember them now and could care less about them, albeit I did have fun, but in the scope of life, not really that important. Make the most out of what you have and who you are with. 

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GoodKn1ght
@Gizmo said:

" We don't have these "Proms" over here in Ye Olde England.  If you go there, you might get a girl pregnant, and then that kid will be even poorer then you. So don't get into any relationships until you have a decent income. "

man....thats quite a leap from prom date....

depends, two years ago prom for my school was out in this fancy ass country house thing and  everyone said  it was totally bad ass, but my junior year, last year it, was just in our high school gym...so go if it sounds like its cool, or jsut go to the after parties like that guy said
Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bulletbeast said:
This is true, but all the bad ass-ery happens at the after party, just save your money and go the free boos fest.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By regularassmilk

Don't go to prom, if you can, go to some after parties.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just take your lady friend somewhere special (and cheap/free) instead. Your own private little prom. Have a nice dinner, dance under the stars, add another mouth to feed in approx 9 months, etc. Hope things get better soon.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RetroIce4

Go to the Prom. Come in a white-T, Air Forces ones, and a fresh pair of dickies. It will be the most ghetto, but funny thing ever. That is probably one of the few good things about high school if you have a date.

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bulletbeast
@Gorillawhat:

actually thats probably a good idea. and dont listen to all this bullshit about finances, your gonna have the rest of your life to worry about that, if u dont enjoy life now then your never gonna
ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZmillA

do you even want to go?