• 54 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Edited By fobwashed

I recently took orders for a limited run Giant Bomb shirt that I'll be handing out at PAX. Well. They're done being made and ready for shipping to Boston and I figured I'd give ya'll a look at how screened T's (and pretty much anything) are made.

In the beginning, an image.

No Caption Provided

I made this spoof of Papers, Please a while back and I really dug its look so I decided to go with this one. Well, this one minus the text, options and arrow.

The screens

The deer head part being cured.
The deer head part being cured.

Once you know what you want to screen, you need to isolate the colors involved and create an individual screen. The way you make a screen is you build a frame, stretch some silk across it and then coat it with photo emulsion.

Washing away the uncured emulsion.
Washing away the uncured emulsion.

You then print out the individual colored parts of the image and run it through a dark room type process which will cure all the parts of the screen that is not covered leaving the covered sections uncured and able to be washed away.

More shots of the individual screens

The part where the colors go on the clothes

No Caption Provided

After the screens are set up, you load them into a machine/contraption that will allow the shirt to be lined up properly with all the individual screens. This alignment is obviously crucial. Typically, I'm told you start bottom to top layer. So in the terms of this shirt, you start with the Luchadeer, followed by the light green, then the dark green and finally the white to finish.

Color by color is added to the shirt
Flash drying~
Flash drying~

As the individual shirts have colors applied, they are flash dried on the machine. Every image is applied twice to get a really nice full coating and the flash drying readies the shirt for a second coat by drying the applied oils a little bit. This all works by rotating the shirt wheel so right after the oil paint is applied, it rotates to the flash dryer and then has time to cool off before it comes all the way around for a second coating.

I'm told that's green. But I dunno cuz colorblind...
I'm told that's green. But I dunno cuz colorblind...

The paint itself is applied by bringing the screen down on top of the shirt and then pushing the paint through the uncured section of the screen using a squeegee type device. Bigger places have machines that do this, my guy does it manually =P The cured sections that didn't wash away don't allow any paint through while the sections that were covered and then washed away do.

Finally, curing.

This beast
This beast

After all the layers and colors have been screened on, the shirt is sent down through this massive drying machine that'll cure the ink proper. We used something called "Plastisol" which is an oil based ink. There are two main other types of inks that are used in this process that are water based. Plastisol screens are a lot brighter and have a greater ability to be opaque against a black shirt which is important because a large portion of this is solid white on black and has the added benefit of being able to withstand way more cycles through the laundry before looking beat up. It does have a bit of an almost plasticy and raised feel as opposed to the water based stuff that you'd find on screened t-shirts at say J-Crew and whatnot. The third popular type is the one they use on shirts that are artificially faded. You know what I'm talking about.

Wet shirt goes in, dry shirt comes out.
Wet shirt goes in, dry shirt comes out.

Final Product

After all that mess, we've got a shirt. + some hoodies.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

See ya'll at PAX East =]

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Really cool, dude. Wish I was going to Pax, that design is just so fucking cool!

jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Damn, awesome work duder! Guess you learn something new every day huh. Would have loved one of these, but living on the far side of the world kinda made that impossible. Hope they all go to good homes.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Your awesome and congratulations on following through with an idea. <3

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Stop doing cool stuff!

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just one more reason I'm sad I'm not going to PAX, thanks. Also, congratulations on being talented and stuff.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

Really cool, dude. Wish I was going to Pax, that design is just so fucking cool!

It's one of the things I've done that I actually like =P

Damn, awesome work duder! Guess you learn something new every day huh. Would have loved one of these, but living on the far side of the world kinda made that impossible. Hope they all go to good homes.

Thanks =] Where is the far side of the world? I'm in Washington... I'm sorta guessing you might mean somewhere like Europe tho.

Your awesome and congratulations on following through with an idea. <3

Couldn't have done it w/out the support of duders on this site~

Stop doing cool stuff!

I'll tryyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit all the cool kids go to PAX.....FACT.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That's great. I really love the design. Great job duder.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir
jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Yeah, I'm in Ireland. Quite the stretch, though I'm actually in Chicago on holiday for a few weeks while PAX is happening. Hope my hotel has wifi so I can watch the Game Dev Royal Rumble stream, at least.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, it stinks I won't be able to get one of these cause I'm not going to PAX East. They look awesome.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just one more reason I'm sad I'm not going to PAX, thanks. Also, congratulations on being talented and stuff.

Daaaaaaaawwwwwwww...... T-T Also, thanks!

That's great. I really love the design. Great job duder.

:D

@fobwashed: Yeah, I'm in Ireland. Quite the stretch, though I'm actually in Chicago on holiday for a few weeks while PAX is happening. Hope my hotel has wifi so I can watch the Game Dev Royal Rumble stream, at least.

If there are any PAX meet ups, you should swing by anyway =] I hear a lot of stuff goes on like, outside of PAX proper.

Man, it stinks I won't be able to get one of these cause I'm not going to PAX East. They look awesome.

If everything goes well at East, I may do something similar for West~

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats and thanks for blogging. It's really interesting to see the process of it going from basic concept to a fully realized project. You're amazing duder!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

No seriously stop doing cool stuff and how can I buy all of your cool stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pfft who wants to go to an event only to find out people are wearing exactly what you are wearing? wuheva...i...i dont even want one...yeah! ill make my own gb-related shirt then!

No Caption Provided

they look great btw

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I WANT THAT SHIRT.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By alistercat

I want that on a zip hoodie. Come to England and I will buy one, pls.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats and thanks for blogging. It's really interesting to see the process of it going from basic concept to a fully realized project. You're amazing duder!

Thanks! I thought the entire process was remarkably simple and easy. If I had a garage, I'd prolly try to set up a small shop myself for custom screening =P

No seriously stop doing cool stuff and how can I buy all of your cool stuff.

If anything else ever comes up, I'll be sure to post about it =]

Awesome work, wish these were available in the store!

Then they wouldn't be limited! =P

pfft who wants to go to an event only to find out people are wearing exactly what you are wearing? wuheva...i...i dont even want one...yeah! ill make my own gb-related shirt then!

No Caption Provided

they look great btw

I actually love seeing someone else wearing a gaming related shirt I like. I've never seen a giant bomb shirt in the wild outside of PAX but even at PAX it's like "Duder!". And thanks =]

I WANT THAT SHIRT.

PAXPAXPAXPAXPAXPAXPAX

I want that on a zip hoodie. Come to England and I will buy one, pls.

I would love to visit London again!! Funny you say that because I'm actually wearing the zip up hoodie right now =D I thought the body was a bit long but I put it through the wash and now it fits perfectly~~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: but seriously if you have extras im finding you.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, can you maybe point me to a guide on how to start doing stuff like this? I really want to start doing it!

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for PAX this year! I'm going for two days this time so I'll have more time to check out everything.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fobwashed
No Caption Provided

@patvb@meatsofevil@mrpibb@edgework@jeanluc@mcribs@landonrobinson@omniscientcajun@robopengy

No Caption Provided

@drewbert@rorie@mahonay@epicsteve@finaldasa@olqavtoras@brewmaster_andy@ateatree@chaser324@epidehl

No Caption Provided

@cpsterndog@mtcantor@diablochicken14@plainzombie@pseg@dalai@rivaldi22@code3xbl@matt

No Caption Provided

@benguin@sparklykiss@mcribs@thdemn@th3irdeye@endoworks@fauxben@marino

No Caption Provided

@wafflestomp@frootsnax@vikingdeath1

No Caption Provided

@alex@alexisg@pseg@heavyduty32@patrickklepek

No Caption Provided

@matt@ltsquigs@brad@marino

No Caption Provided

@vinny@wafflestomp@sparklykiss

Alright duders. They've been packed and shipped. A whoppin $82 in shipping via USPS =P Last touch till I get to Boston myself!

You can see, it's a hell of a lotta stuff to carry so hopefully we'll be able to most of us make the meetup 11AM~ 12AM on Friday =]

@billymagnum said:

@fobwashed: but seriously if you have extras im finding you.

I have roughly 15 extra shirts of varying sizes so find me and I'll def get you one ;-)

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is absurdly exciting. Thank you for doing all this!

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want one, but I can't have one. You bastard.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@fobwashed: Looking good! Sorry if I didn't get back to you on sizes - my ability to track PM conversations is pretty limited in the best of situations. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I'm only missing Jeff's shirt size. At this point, a hoodie is unavailable but I do have some extras of every shirt size so I'd like to set aside one for him if possible =]

frootsnax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Man! Looking forward to meeting up at PAX.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rad Duder! can't wait to get my hands on mine!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Great job! Thanks. Probably best to link up before or after the Giant Bomb panel?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: great, please save one if possible. my life for a MEDIUM lol. i should be there saturday at door opening and ill be there until closing

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really neat design, gj and congrats to the lucky few duders getting in on the deal.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fobwashed

@mtcantor said:

This is absurdly exciting. Thank you for doing all this!

My pleasure =] Tho if I do it again, I'll have to adjust some of the pricing =P

I really want one, but I can't have one. You bastard.

Come at me bro!

Thanks Man! Looking forward to meeting up at PAX.

It's a date!

Your shirt is monstrous =P

Great job! Thanks. Probably best to link up before or after the Giant Bomb panel?

I'm gonna do my best to meet up with people early Friday. Mostly so I don't have to carry this stuff around during the show. I think after the panel is gonna be my best bet at selling off the extras and unclaimed shirts tho =P

@fobwashed: great, please save one if possible. my life for a MEDIUM lol. i should be there saturday at door opening and ill be there until closing

I've got like 5 extra Mediums I think. I'll try to remember to hang onto one for you if possible. Tweet at me or check my feed to figure out where I'm at!

Really neat design, gj and congrats to the lucky few duders getting in on the deal.

Thx duder!

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pretty bummed I didn't get an order in on time, but I look forward to seeing people wearing these walking around at PAX. Great work @fobwashed

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty bummed I didn't get an order in on time, but I look forward to seeing people wearing these walking around at PAX. Great work @fobwashed

If you're going to PAX East, tweet me at the show. I printed a few extras to sell on location =]

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shinboy630 said:

If you're going to PAX East, tweet me at the show. I printed a few extras to sell on location =]

I am and will do. Thanks for the heads up!

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vikingdeath1 said:

Bwahaha! Just the way I like it!

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vikingdeath1

@vikingdeath1 said:

Bwahaha! Just the way I like it!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, this is amazing. I never saw your original post about this; I would have definitely tried to get one.

Hope everyone lucky enough to acquire one really enjoys them! (and shares pictures of themselves in them. heh)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Cool, man.

This reminds me of an episode of Dirty Jobs.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, this is amazing. I never saw your original post about this; I would have definitely tried to get one.

Hope everyone lucky enough to acquire one really enjoys them! (and shares pictures of themselves in them. heh)

Definitely would love to see people actually wearing these in pic form if possible =]

Cool, man.

This reminds me of an episode of Dirty Jobs.

I'm the dirtiest. Tyty =]

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want one.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

That is so fucking rad, I'm so jealous of you Americans! Papers Please was my fave game of last year. Great job @fobwashed

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#44  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Reading this brought back memories of doing this shit in highschool. Kinda wish I still had those shirts.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want one.

I wish I could send em to everyone that wanted one but that's way too much work. Sorry duder =[

@assinass said:

That is so fucking rad, I'm so jealous of you Americans! Papers Please was my fave game of last year. Great job @fobwashed

Thanks! I tried playing Papers, Please again and it was a pretty big bummer. I like the game a lot, but I can't seem to play it again to get more endings because it's so draining.

Reading this brought back memories of doing this shit in highschool. Kinda wish I still had those shirts.

The process was easy and affordable enough that I'd prolly wanna do this again in the future. PAX Prime perhpax?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are awesome, I hope I see a few duders wearing them while at PAX!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fobwashed: I know, I know. This thing is looking super hella dope though duder! Gratz! How many shirts and hoodies did you make in total?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fobwashed

These are awesome, I hope I see a few duders wearing them while at PAX!

Me too! I'd love to get a thread up for pix. Or maybe just in here =P

@fobwashed: I know, I know. This thing is looking super hella dope though duder! Gratz! How many shirts and hoodies did you make in total?

61 shirts and 15 hoodies. 37 of the shirts and 6 hoodies are reserved for people from my previous thread. 4 shirts and 6 hoodies are going to staff and the rest will be sold first come first serve at the show to help cover the costs of manufacturing, shipping and free stuff for staff. Hopefully everyone that "pre-ordered" will actually be at the show to pick up their stuff. I'll likely end up trying to sell all unclaimed and extra shirts after the GB panel -_-;;

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Wow, amazing. Really wish I was going to PAX

:(

daedelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By daedelus

This needs to be in the Giant Bomb store now! I would buy. Awesome design.