Which JRPG Has The Best Combat System? (Tactical JRPGs Excluded)

• 71 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Which JRPG has the best (or rather your favorite) combat system and why?

My favorite combat system of any JRPG has to be Grandia 2. It's the only JRPG combat system I know off with a real emphasis on movement and formation. Same goes for real 'Area of Effect' magic (aka AoE) including friendly fire. Also - the timing Grandia 2's combat system promotes (to push back enemies attacks or even cancel them out completely) is a fucking strike of pure genious. I can't understand why nobody copies Grandia 2's blueprint. It's quite honestly the only JRPG combat system I still take seriously nowadays.

Grandia 2's combat system should be the blueprint for every JRPG to follow.
 Grandia 2's combat system should be the blueprint for every JRPG to follow.

How about you guys? Know any standout combat systems amongst the tons of uninspired, slow and boring trash out there?
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar

Final Fantasy's ATB remains my favorite.  No contest.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By PowerSerj

Thanks for reminding me about not being able to beat the final boss in GII. Fuck that game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

Tales of Eternia, the Pokemon series, The World Ends With You, Tales of Vesperia and Valkyrie Profile, in that order.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By m1k3

The only problem with the Grandia battle system is that it is easy to exploit it. i remember just spamming "Critical" and just canceling actions. Obviously it depends on how far spaced your characters time is from the action field.

I really like the Tales battle system. Now granted the only Tales game i played is Vesperia. The battle system reminds me of Star Ocean 2 from the PS but adding a 3rd dimension to it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mother 3 in theory, but not in practice. For an actual answer, I'd probably say a tie between Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star IV for the emphasis on teamwork and cooperation.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

A bloody shame that Grandia III never made it to western shores. I remember looking foward to that.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I liked FFX's battle system. The way it was turn based but you could see whose turn came up when and how a spell like Haste or Slow would effect that order before you used it was really cool. That and swapping out party members to defeat certain enemy types made it pretty fun and involved.

Also games like Super Mario RPG and Mother 3 deserve a special mention for encouraging active participation with their timing based attacks, which goes a long way to keeping combat interesting.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#9  Edited By skrutop

I love, love, love the battle system in the Shadow Hearts series.  The judgment ring requires good reflexes, but it becomes second nature as the game rolls on.  It never feels cheap when you miss, and keeps you engaged not only in the strategic aspect of the battle (i.e. picking attack sequences and elemental damages, etc.), but also in the execution of your abilities.  You also have to factor in queuing up combos, and hitting the enemy in certain ways to make other attacks more effective.

Here's an example.  The battle starts around 2:30 in:

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ColMirage

Tales series. Woo!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By trophyhunter

star ocean or tales games

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperBuster

Haven't really played many JRPGs but out of those I have played I think Chrono Trigger would be my favorite. I remember training for hours just to get that new skill and see how it combined with others. ( It's a shame ::Spoiler::Magus::Spoiler:: only had triple techs). In the end it was hard to pick a permanent team because everyone had awesome combinations.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

Lost Odyssey. 

Then Tales, Star Ocean and FFX. 

Edit: for those of you who haven't seen this game in action, here is a video. It's extremely old school turn based and has the best battle music I have ever heard. 

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By Symphony

While FFX, Tales of Vesperia, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope have great combat systems, I think my favorite is in a game almost no one has heard of -- Mana Khemia (and Mana Khemia 2). It's pretty much FFX meets Marvel vs Capcom 2. The turn system is like FFX's where there's an order cycle and certain moves push you back further in the cycle while others can give you quick turns so you go again immediately after (kinda like Tidus' quick attack that lets him get like 16 turns in a row). 

There are also assist attacks and super combos that feel like a vs fighter, where you can keep swapping in characters who will attack as they swap in, and you can call on multiple characters to unleash combination attacks. On top of that, you have a "super meter" type thing that builds up and when it maxes out you can unleash character specific finishers for crazy damage.

Overall it feels very fluid and combat is never dull.

@Seppli said:

" A bloody shame that Grandia III never made it to western shores. I remember looking foward to that. "

Eh...? Yeah it did... o.O Unless you mean Europe? Not sure if it was released there.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By PureRok

Dragon Quest. I don't have to name a specific one. They all play the same. Also, all JRPGs should allow you to whistle a random encounter to attack you instantly. Running around in circles is dumb.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dbz1995

Chrono Trigger.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

FFXII and Star Ocean: The Last Hope for it's real time combat, and Persona 3 and 4 for it's turned based tweaked combat.

Eyepatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eyepatch
@Jeust said:
" FFXII and Star Ocean: The Last Hope for it's real time combat, and Persona 3 and 4 for it's turned based tweaked combat. "
I find it hard to be able to put both P3 and P4 on a level playing field for combat systems when 3 had the insane flaw of not letting you control anyone besides the main character. I lost count of the number of times fights were harder than they should have been or I died against sub-bosses because my characters were busy casting Marin Karin or some other equally useless spell when I told them to focus on healing/support. I can definitely agree with P4's tweaked turn-based combat being great, though, and FFXII's gambit system was good even if you could make the game practically play itself =D
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok
@Jeust said:
" FFXII and Star Ocean: The Last Hope for it's real time combat, and Persona 3 and 4 for it's turned based tweaked combat. "
Ah, I forgot all about Persona 4 (which is weird, considering I was just playing it again). Definitely tied with Dragon Quest as my favorite.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm going to say Grandia II but not that awful PC/PS2 port you've posted. My vote goes to the DC version. 

Oh and also the 3D Tales games are great, love Vesperia and Symphonia's fighting. There's something to be said for fun button mashing.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DRE7777

All I know is I hate the bull shit that is a mix between turn based and action, those always suck. I either like FFX stuff or Kingdom hearts stuff.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Marz

Crono Cross had a pretty good system.

Also i would say i enjoyed Vagrant Story's real time combat system, it was sort of the first incarnation of the V.A.T.S system that fallout 3 uses but in jrpg form.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tale of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos: Origins, or The World Ends With You. 

ToS's combat felt fluid, even when not playing as Lloyd. And the only time there was ever a problem with getting stuck in a corner was in the single battles in the coliseum.

BK:O's battles added a discard feature and a magic guage (more like an over limit) that was really addicting and rewarding in all of its flashiness.

TWEWY enabled you to set six different attacks at once that all used the stylus, but it was organized in such a way a fumbling with them never became a problem.

I can't really bring myself to pick a favorite in terms of combat.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure

Dear OP: Grandia II did indeed have some awesome combat. My favorite actually has a strong emphasis on movement and placing as well and honestly a lot of games have something similar to that if you actually look around in the genre. Anyway: 

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter hands down as my favorite. It took some ideas from more "tactic" style games Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc and fused it with some of the traditional turn based combat (sort of) while keeping a nice pace to keep action constantly happening.

Essentially enemies would be on the dungeon map and when you came into contact with them a battle would start directly where you were standing. Your characters had action points which determined every action they could do from moving to attacking. 1 step drained one point from the bar and once you were positioned to attack you could either save the remaining points to add to your point total next turn or spend the rest to attack. The cool part of attacking is how you had different levels of attacks and could chain these together until you ran out of action points along with a focus on positioning for AOE attacks and such. The only small problem is that there was really no limit to item use so you could spam heals if you wanted too, the game was still hard though(some may argue too hard). This video is a pretty good example of its combat. 

Honorable mentions go to FFXII, Grandia series, Tales series (Symphonia for now, though I imagine Vesperia is better but I don't own it yet sadly), Mario & Luigi series is fun though a bit easy, and of course Parasite Eve was always mad fun.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Meowayne

Fourteen years after its conception, I am still discovering new and awesome ways to combine Materia into effective combat strategies and brilliant auto-mechanics. 

A decade ago I first started training, multiplying, combining and experimenting with Materia, and it is still as fun today as it was then. 

There are still youtube videos posted regularly with Materia use that I hadn't thought of before.  And I have not even collected them all yet.

The level of customization, professionalisation, creativity and fun it brings to the combat is still unmatched in any other (J)RPG I have ever played.

That's why the answer in this thread, I'm afraid, is - as always:

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PureRok
@Meowayne said:
" Fourteen years after its conception, I am still discovering new and awesome ways to combine Materia into effective combat strategies and brilliant auto-mechanics. 

A decade ago I first started training, multiplying, combining and experimenting with Materia, and it is still as fun today as it was then. 

There are still youtube videos posted regularly with Materia use that I hadn't thought of before.  And I have not even collected them all yet.

The level of customization, professionalisation, creativity and fun it brings to the combat is still unmatched in any other (J)RPG I have ever played.

"
As always... what?
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#27  Edited By skrutop
@XII_Sniper said:
" I'm going to say Grandia II but not that awful PC/PS2 port you've posted. My vote goes to the DC version."
Oh man, I grabbed the PS2 version of Grandia II.  I think I played it for an hour before I just couldn't take it anymore.  That port was horrible.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By DukeTogo

Y's.  You just run into stuff.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Darkstar614
@Seppli said:
" A bloody shame that Grandia III never made it to western shores. I remember looking foward to that. "
huh? I own this game. In fact I'm looking at the box right now.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By moelarrycurly

POKEMON.  Call me a hater.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By djstyles92

Persona 4 and FFX

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august
@Darkstar614 said:
" @Seppli said:
huh? I own this game. In fact I'm looking at the box right now. "
It sure did. Maybe it didn't come out in Europe.

I loved Grandia II's battle system on the DC. But I had to sit through some god-awful shitty pretentious jrpg angst to enjoy it.
Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Darkstar614
@august: Oh man I remember that comic, so great. 

I enjoyed Grandia 3's battle system a lot, but the story and characters were amazingly bad. I couldn't even finish it because I couldn't take it anymore.
Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Althox

Grandia 2, hands up for the game! Totally blew my mind away when I played it the first time. And it's still my favorite JRPG. Oh and the conversations and the amazing story, the cherry on top!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By animateria

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has a unique and interesting turn based combat system.

Don't try the game unless you like Rogue-likes though. A death in the game means you restart from the beginning.  And maps are re-randomized. 

I think FF12 has one of the best combat in JRPGs too.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Burns098356GX

I liked FF9's system and levelling system the best out of any RPG.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Red

Persona 4.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Adamantium

FFXII for the best battle system, gambits are nice!

Someone mentioned materia, but that was just customization right? That's the best character customization system, but it still ran on the old turn based ATB.

Anyway FFXII is where it's at for me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli
@august: 
@Darkstar614:

Seriously? Hmmm - must have missed it then somehow. Albeit living in Europe, I have a US PS2 stashed in a box somewhere to play all the PS 1 & 2 JRPGs which never made it to the EU. I seriously would enjoy some fresh Grandia gameplay someday.

Why the hell isn't there a current gen Grandia in the making?
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Meowayne
@PureRok said:
" @Meowayne said:
" Fourteen years after its conception, I am still discovering new and awesome ways to combine Materia into effective combat strategies and brilliant auto-mechanics. 

"
As always... what? "
What? Didn't you play the legendary JRPG "Broken Piece of Embedded HTML"?
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By LeetBalla

Lost Odyssey, since it is one of only a handful of JRPG's I have ever enjoyed.

RobRoyale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RobRoyale
@Seppli: Grandia 3 did make it to western shores I had it on PS2 even bought the strat guide for some reason never beat it though
FrostyHerpiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FrostyHerpiez

I might be in the lone on this one... but Shin megami tensie Nocturne is by far my favorite JRPG (battle system included)  

while theres nothing really crazy like timing goin on... its very punishing for using the wrong attafcks, and very rewarding for using the right ones. 

Plus how many games do u fight dante in =)
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By veektarius

Grandia 2.  Wasn't a huge fan of Tales, too fast to be thoughtful.  I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII makes it high on this list.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I haven't played many JRPGs, but I do enjoy Persona 3 and 4s combat. It just flows really well.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cornman89

Grandia 2, you say?

RIGHT ANSWER.

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ironknight

I love Chrono cross
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Demyx

I liked FFXII a lot.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Seppli said:

How about you guys? Know any standout combat systems amongst the tons of uninspired, slow and boring trash out there? "
You know, I just had a knock down drag out here about this very subject, and I'm glad you made this thread because it really proves my point about how the vast majority of JRPG battle systems are just slight variations off the theme Japan has been using for almost two decades.   

But looking at this video, I really do have to agree with you. This is the be the blueprint JRPGs should have been using. When was this made?
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#50  Edited By gla55jAw

I would have to say FFX. Best turn based combat I have played. You have the ability to swap and use all of your party members in the same battle! I mean common, how do you get better than that? I also really enjoyed Eternal Sonata's battle system as well as Lost Odyssey's.